Quadcopter racing

dcame002

Anyone besides warthox into the development of high speed quadcopters. Most of the quads I seen don't fly beyond about 40mph, that's considered fast. I build my v-tail quad for more speed. Do you guys know of any 40mph+ multirotors:

my v-tail

Last edited by a moderator:

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Flying FPV my QAV500 with Avroto 2814 motors on 10 inch props and 4S can easily sustain 50 mph in FF, I've seen as much as 54 mph on the OSD display though it was getting a bit unstable at that speed. Realistically you probably won't get much beyond 60 mph for any sustained forward flight with a multirotor and if you do I think you'll find it very difficult to control. Unlike the lift from a wing keeping an airplane flying the downdraft from a quads props doesn't work nearly as well at higher speeds, not sure what the limit is for a multirotor in terms of outright speed but it probably isn't even close to what a similar sized RC airplane is capable of. Then there's the fact a multirotor frame isn't really all that aerodynamic so depending on the design going really fast may cause some interesting things to happen... :surprise:

Ken

dcame002

you may be right. It's still worth a shot. I imagine one could break the 60mph mark by using higher pitched props. I think the trick is minimizing surface area. Headed to the hobby shop for some 9x6 props tomorrow

matwelli

will watch with interest, could be a good little competition

we did some pylon racing a while ago, but turning ability counts alot more

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors

Attachments

• Frame.jpg
    Frame.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 493

Lanzar

Maximum we have done with small quad was or was it x8 was 106 kmh.
We had gps module with tracking memory on it. Was fun and i think it could be even faster.

matwelli

thats moving pretty damn fast for a multi !

i think part of the trick (apart from aerodynamics on the body) will be to find a set up that can spin a high pitch prop, and still have enough thrust to hover, with the thrust increasing as you build up speed and the props get into their proper speed range

dcame002

I'm thinking about downsizing my props (8x6 or even lower) and running 6s. Maybe I can get a nice FPV speed trial. once I get my osd and vtx. I can go for the record!

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
i've hashed out a design that I'd like to see do 80 to 100 mph but it isn't quite a conventional quad and will require some effort to build.

there's more to it than just leaning forward and slamming on the gas although that's most of it!

bart

CrashMaster

SteadyDrone make claim 50 mph from a standard AP machine?

Site:http://steadidrone.co.uk/hire-us/
We have a range of UAV’s capable of operating with a number of different cameras up to a payload of 6kg. All of our units have been carefully manufactured to the highest standards. We are capable of shooting from ground level up to 400ft in the same shot.We can use GPS to keep the craft under control and also plot in a course for the UAV to follow.
We can track subjects up to 50mph.
On OSD I have clocked 41mph average over 6 runs 3 with wind 11mph and 3 into wind. I appreciate that the OSD using GPS may not be too accurate but gives an indication. That was in GPS Atti with F550 and Naza. Naza GPS Atti mode restricts the craft's tilt to 30 Degrees.
I will be testing my X650 Pro soon so will give it a go with a WKM in Manual mode and see what figures I get.

Kilby

I hit 55 regularly with my OpenPilot quad. I crank the maximum pitch angle up to 85 degrees and it tilts down and takes off like a rocket.

CrashMaster

There must be a thoretical max speed any hovering machine can do. That is why helis ar a lot slower than planes. If the blade tips reach super sonic speed in airflow they can self destruct.
It would be nice for an aeronautical engineer to put together some info to help build a super fast Y3 just as a uni project.

matwelli

I think that you will find that the rules that apply to helis dont apply to multirotors, very different blades and set-up

its just going to be a balancing act, getting enough static thrust out of a higher KV motor, on a pitchy prop to have enough thrust to take off

thinking about my ritewing, it weighs 2kg, running a 1300 kv motor, 9 by 6 prop, and can do a vertical launch, and hits just over 100 mph

so 4 of those, at say 2.5 kg static, so , using a third rule for hovering power, the all up weight would want to be under 3.3 kg
it gets a bit tough - the 4 motors, props, mounts and esc's (80 amp 4S) are going to add up to 300 grams each (1.2 kg total
With a 70 amp static current draw per motor, keeping it all safe, you probably want 15 to 20 amp hour of batteries (so 1.8 kg or so of battery)

not much left for the frame (300 grams)

its all rough numbers, but certainly would be a balancing act, and will jiggling of Kv, Prop, statuc thrust and total weight, would 130-140 mph be out of the question ?

CrashMaster

Bit like a monster sports car or F1 race car..... all engine, fuel and wheels and little left for the driver. I suppose that if there is no issue with the props it becomes a test of how much thrust can I put down and how little weight can I make the frame...... Then the problem with IMUs can they take the G involved with high speed without thinking they are free-fall and give up. Any failure in this area would mean certain disaster. Then at over 56mph you have the aerodinamics issue to consider. A frame like the VersaDrone - http://www.versadrones.com/ may be needed to overcome this or the Quad Flying Wing - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKy-cP0UapM. Then is it a quad or is it a plane? The flying Wing they are trying to get 200mph....

dcame002

My new frame is almost complete. Just working out where I can put cutouts to make it less draggy, while carrying fpv equipment. Pretty excited.

View attachment 12452
Here it is shown with 11 inch props and its future motor. Weight is 392 grams. Hopefully I can keep the weight fairly low

Power setup:
1020kv motors

4s +9x6 (or any steeper pitch) for racing
3s +11x5.5 or 11x4.5 for FPV cruising around

Attachments

• IMG_20130622_220406.jpg
    IMG_20130622_220406.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 287

dcame002

View attachment 12493Got some 50a esc's and 8x5 props on order for future ventures. Ecalc says this is happening! All up weight is a actually looking like 1700g with 6000 mah worth of lipo. I will be stepping up the flying gradually. 3s 11 x5.5 (full fpv w hd camera) > 4s 10x5 (same) > 6s 8x5 (no hd cam) 6600mah lipos

Attachments

• 6-25-2013 5-43-25 PM.jpg
    6-25-2013 5-43-25 PM.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 330

dcame002

Finally test flew the hex on 3s with some 11 inch props. AUW is heaveier thank I expected. Just under 2kg.

Best case for a high speed MR would most likely be something with variable pitch props.

This machine is a good example. Ludicrous speed.