Q500-4k info search

rupP

I have been looking for a mid sized RTF MR with state of the art tech that is not DJI or that uses a gopro and this looks promising...... Q500-4k.
Despite several emails to yuneecUK they have yet to demonstrate their acclaimed customer service by responding.
So I'll ask some questions here in the hope that someone can help..... Or suggest alternatives....

1) I need to use a second monitor to enable clients to oversee the camera view. Does the Q500-4k wifi video link require an additional android tablet to do this or is there an av-out on the handset
for extra monitor/goggles.
2) what is the range in UK (restricted) and can this be increased for flying abroad?
3) Can the 4k camera lens be swapped out for a narrower view lens as 115 degrees is rather wide for my needs and can a ND filter be fitted? Can camera functions be set to manual? WB, ISO etc.
4) I have seen a video of the Q500 carrying a nikon D5300 with AF lens on a fixed plate secured between the legs. Is there a plate available for this setup as it could make a great portable backup to my larger rig for taking still images of building facades. It would need a reasonable flight time while lifting 675grams.
5) Is the Q500 ever likely to be upgraded to be able to fly between preset waypoints?
6) how close can the follow-me mode operate and can it be set to follow the mini-wizard puck and still controlled from the main handset so the operator is out of shot? Is the mini wizard handset available in UK?

Thanks
RupP

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I'm sorry rupP but we don't have much of a Yuneec community here. There was a time when I was trying to encourage them to participate here and they opted not to.

Old Man

I have been looking for a mid sized RTF MR with state of the art tech that is not DJI or that uses a gopro and this looks promising...... Q500-4k.
Despite several emails to yuneecUK they have yet to demonstrate their acclaimed customer service by responding.
So I'll ask some questions here in the hope that someone can help..... Or suggest alternatives....

1) I need to use a second monitor to enable clients to oversee the camera view. Does the Q500-4k wifi video link require an additional android tablet to do this or is there an av-out on the handset
for extra monitor/goggles.
  • The Q-500 uses the CGO video system. It can be linked to a separate Android or other WiFi equipped tablet that also has the CGO app that can be downloaded online. Standard 5.8 video equipment cannot be used with the Yuneec and Chroma brands.
2) what is the range in UK (restricted) and can this be increased for flying abroad?

• Up to about 1000', but the transmitter has to be pointing directly at the aircraft at that range. They have been flown at greater distances but there were no issues with terrain or foliage having opportunity to block signal. The normal operating range is ~600-800'.

3) Can the 4k camera lens be swapped out for a narrower view lens as 115 degrees is rather wide for my needs and can a ND filter be fitted? Can camera functions be set to manual? WB, ISO etc.

• The camera can only be swapped out for a different CGO unit, be that CGO-2 or CGO-3. ISO is adjustable, but I don't believe that can be done "on the fly". Both can shoot stills or video.
4) I have seen a video of the Q500 carrying a nikon D5300 with AF lens on a fixed plate secured between the legs. Is there a plate available for this setup as it could make a great portable backup to my larger rig for taking still images of building facades. It would need a reasonable flight time while lifting 675grams.

• I suspect that was a very custom set up and one that significantly reduced flight time and useful range. It is not something Yuneec advertises.

5) Is the Q500 ever likely to be upgraded to be able to fly between preset waypoints?

• Good question and one nobody has an answer for yet.
6) how close can the follow-me mode operate and can it be set to follow the mini-wizard puck and still controlled from the main handset so the operator is out of shot? Is the mini wizard handset available in UK?

• Don't have an answer for the "Follow Me" distance but the normal distance limitation for establishing safe distance from the operator is about 15'. Check the Yuneec website to determining of the mini wizard is available in the U/K.

Thanks
RupP

rupP

Thanks Old Man, good info :)
I am surprised at how limited the info released by Yuneec is. Maybe pushing the Q500 more towards the toy market which may explain their reluctance to be involed here. Results I have seen look very good though.
Not been able to find the clip with Q500 flying a Nikon but it was very much a home video, though the camera support bracket itself looked purpose made. Even 5-10mins flight time could be a very useful backup if it enabled me to get a GH3 in the air. I am struggling with DJI stuff and feeling the need for a cost effective and reliable backup!

Old Man

I suppose it depends on what the intended purpose is. The Q-500 is indeed directed towards the "toy" consumer drone user, in a manner similar to the Phantom, Solo but without all the fanfare and rivalry. If all your film subjects will be relatively stationary the Q-500/Typhoon might be adaptable for a short duration back up, but likely at the expense of reliability. Perhaps for greater flexibility a relatively simply Tri Copter or Y-6 might be a better and relatively low cost investment. Either of those permits system set ups that won't have the potential to conflict with proprietary consumer drone manufacturer systems. If your preference leans toward a "ready made, off the shelf" unit perhaps looking at Yuneec's latest "pro level" camera ship, the Tornado, is worth a few minutes of your time. More expensive than the Q-500 but purpose built to do what it sounds you need it to do. http://store.yuneec.com/us/h920.html

Not in any way way scientific as far as data collection goes but what I've been able to determine thus far has the customer service for Yuneec products pretty good, and to date few have been lost to fly aways. There have of course been the typical level of beginner level user errors that have sent a few of them into the sunset but the flight systems appear to be pretty conservative. Flight modes perform similar to APM/Pixhawk stuff but without providing as much system access for user customization.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Thanks Old Man, good info :)
I am surprised at how limited the info released by Yuneec is. Maybe pushing the Q500 more towards the toy market which may explain their reluctance to be involed here. Results I have seen look very good though.
Not been able to find the clip with Q500 flying a Nikon but it was very much a home video, though the camera support bracket itself looked purpose made. Even 5-10mins flight time could be a very useful backup if it enabled me to get a GH3 in the air. I am struggling with DJI stuff and feeling the need for a cost effective and reliable backup!
have you ever built your own heli? 5 minutes would be considered a very poor outcome if you built your own to carry a GH4

consider building your own, depending on what your available timeframe is

rupP

Ha, got a reply from Yuneec this afternoon. I'm sure they won't mind me quoting them.
"You can run the camera view back to an IOS or android device as a second view, you can start and stop the video and also take stills from the device but cannot adjust the tilt."
"The Typhoon comes supplied with an ND changeable filter."
"The 4K camera does not have interchangeable lens"
"We do not sell any fittings to allow different cameras to be fitting to the typhoon Q500 range"
"The CGO3 and gimbal weighs 570grams"
"We are not currently planning to add waypoints."
"I would suggest that you needs require more of a professional flight platform such as our H920 this is designed around the GH4 camera, more details can be found here http://yuneec.uk/index.php/products/h920/h920-gb603
If you have any further questions please feel free to ask."
So fair play to them, they also apologised for the delay so I guess they would normally respond sooner.
Yes, I am also considering a self build but find it massively daunting and unsure if I can find the time to research and source all the parts, hence the appeal of RTF :).
The q500 caught my eye as it ticked many of my boxes.

Old Man

The H920 is the Tornado I referred to earlier. If plug and play is what you feel most comfortable with it would be an easy solution. I've been contemplating the same unit for a Sony.