Pusher Multirotor

Luke Bro

Has anyone tried to build a pusher type multirotor (blades and motors mounted underside) instead of a puller (motors and blades mounted on top)? Just curious if it would be practical.

econfly

Sure, it would work. It really doesn't matter where the thrust source is. Balanced distribution of thrust relative to center of mass is important (motors work about equally to stay "level"), but that's about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendulum_rocket_fallacy

The main reason you almost always see blades on top is that putting them on the bottom would be more difficult (you would need landing gear to keep the blades off the ground and the gear/copter would need to be constructed to avoid interfering with the blades). It's easier just to put the blades on top.

Luke Bro

Wow, learn something new every day. I was thinking of a light rain arrangement and thought mounted under would help shield the motors a bit.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Wow, learn something new every day. I was thinking of a light rain arrangement and thought mounted under would help shield the motors a bit.

Brushless motors will run submerged, water (fresh) really doesn't hurt them, your FC and the ESC's is a different story but the motors, they are fine with some wet.

Luke Bro

Brushless motors won't corrode over time? What about waterproofing FC and ESCs? Silicon? What about heat from lack of airflow? I crashed my F450 in a flooded rice field and didn't find it for over 2hrs. It was full submerged. When I did find it, the LEDs were still blinking and I only burned up 2 escs and 2 batteries. All motors and other electronics were still functional.