Prieto Battery

Old Man

Not much data there to make an assessment. However, the Japanese are real close to putting their carbon-carbon battery chemistry on the market.

Kratos

Enough, it will be much better than Li-ion battery, that is in most phones, and that battery is simmilar to Li po, still lipo is lighter. And how close are Japanese? I want to buy LiPo this month, is it better to wait then?

eskil23

Wikipedia Photographer
If you buy the LiPo you can fly now. If you wait for something else, you won't know how long you'll have to wait.

Old Man

Well, over the last 10 years or so we've seen li-po's keep doing what they've been doing. We've seen the addition of Lithium Ion, A-123, LiFe, and a couple of others. To date Lithium polymer is still what works best for our needs unless you have a cord long enough to plug into a stationary power supply and fly off of that. Being the first on the block to try unproven energy sources is not where I want to be with a large M/R and a payload. You could wait for Tesla to finish their new battery manufacturing facility and see if they decide to do something other than car batteries, but I doubt someone is going to push something new onto the market for a little while yet.

eskil23

Wikipedia Photographer
How far can one fly with a MR plugged into a ground power supply? The motots pull a not insignificant amount of amps. We usually use 10 gauge AWG or similar to batteries, and only a few dozen meters of such will add significant to the weight. To lift more cable, we'll need larger motors, which need more amps, which requires even heavier cables...

Old Man

I was joking;) OTOH, some very large MR's have been used in a tethered configuration. Not very good at maneuvering around a set though.

maxwelltub

Actually some companies make tethered multitrotors the come out of the back of pickup trucks for boarder survalance. Basically acts like a camera on a pole.