please spend my money for me.. I got the gopro and the f550... now what?

tikigod19

Hi all,

after the massively helpful advice I have received on these forums starting out as a total newbie I have now purchased a DJI F550 with Naza, GPS, Tiger 2216 motors, graupner props, 3s 5000mah lipos and I love flying this thing!

I've ordered an aeroxcraft landing gear and I'm just waiting for the brushless gimbal debate to die down before I choose one of these but after saying "I'll never want to get into FPV" I now want a piece of the action.. The general consensus from reading up is that it's the best part of owning a multirotor.

- I originally considered getting a monitor instead of goggles but now I'm not really 100% in either camp so will take recommendations for both.

- I have a GoPro 3 Black that I'd like to use as the FPV cam (assuming I can record to the micro sd simultaneously?) so I believe there are custom cables made up to go from the USB out of this into the transmitter.

Everything else I am a total starter at. I'm ready to buy (I'm in the UK) once I receive a recommendation that people seem to agree on, which is just what I did with the multi (my bank balance does not thank you people..)

Would love to hear your advice or links to a good place to start out.

tikigod19

Yeah goggles do sound cool.. It appears fat shark have the monopoly here.. What's the difference between the two commonly available pairs?

With the screen I like the idea of being able to glance up if I'm in trouble (I'd like fpv not to fly out of line of sight but to improve on my Camera angles really) but don't really want to mess around with a separate stand.. I like the idea of attaching the screen to my radio.

Hit me with your non harley based suggestions!

Last edited by a moderator:

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
+1 to FirstPersonView.co.uk. Awesome stuff. Got fatshark goggles with a 13db patch on the front! Diversity monitor, EZOSD, 600TVL FPV camera plus the cable for the GoPro. A 25mw and a 600mw immersion VTXs. All just plug and play. All still working fantastically.

You're gonna have fun!

Using Tapatalk...

tikigod19

firstpersonview.co.uk have been excellent in the email exchange I've had with them today and upon their recommendation I'm now down to these two choices, a screen setup and a monitor setup £150 difference in price:

-------------------------------------

option 1 - £246.80

GoPro 3 to ImmersionRC Plug and Play Live Out Cable
Immersion RC 5.8GHz 25mW Transmitter
7" Screen with built in Diversity
ImmersionRC 5.8GHz Antenna Set (2 antenna) SpiroNET
1x Balancer to JST/BEC lead - power cam from ballancer plug 3s

--------------------------------------

option 2 - £392.69

GoPro 3 to ImmersionRC Plug and Play Live Out Cable
Immersion RC 5.8GHz 25mW Transmitter
Fatshark Dominator Video Goggles
Fatshark Dominator 5.8GHz Receiver Module
Fatshark 7.4V 1000mah Battery
ImmersionRC 5.8GHz Antenna Set (2 antennas) SpiroNET (ARE THESE NEEDED WITH THE GOGGLES?!?!)
1x Balancer to JST/BEC lead - power cam from ballancer plug 3s

--------------------------------------

I'm not too sure how everything is powered, especially in the screen setup where I'd imagine the screen is quite power hungry..

What do you chaps think of the above?

Benjamin Kenobi

Morning. I'd say go for the goggles to start with. They take a bit of getting used to at first but after a while its hard to take them off at the end.

I payed about what was quoted above. Same kit too. I get 500m range from the 25mw and 2.2km from the 600mw. Gives you an idea of the range.

Fun!

Using Tapatalk...

Langdale

I got this set up http://www.firstpersonview.co.uk/co.../fat-shark-5.8ghz-attitude-sd-complete-system but a little disappointed with the camera. Securitycamera do one which has a good write up for less than half the price.
Do you already have a small monitor for use with your video business that you can use as the output from the goggles is only composite anyway? I use a 7" monitor at the moment as don't feel too confident with using just goggles (need to know where multi is) but it needs a shade in bright weather.

Benjamin Kenobi

Would the standard range on the dx8 not be less than 2.2km anyway though?

2.2 km was with my DX7s. It was that that ran out of distance and a RTH initiated. The video signal never changed with 600mw so I guess it can go further but obviously can't test that with out control.

Using Tapatalk...