Pixhawk PWM Rx - advantages

Flydigital

I am planning to buy a pixhawk controller which has PPM output. As far as I can understand PPM means a single cable from a flight controller to the Rx unit rather than 8 or more with the kind I have know before - PWM type.

My question is - are the any advantages / disadvantages to the single cable PPM system?
I was planning to buy the pixhawk and a PPM compatible Rx - FrSky D8R-XP.

The alternative would be to stick with what I have used already with my DJI 550 - the FrSky D8R-II Plus and link it with a small PPM encoder.

Are the any pros or ocns of one route over the other? Anything I have overlooked that sways it?

Thanks for any help....

jdennings

I don't know of any disavantages of single cable PPM. Well besides the requirement of your RX needing to be PPM/Futaba compatible. I use FrSky 8XR and love it, along with the newer telemetry stuff.

Disadvantages of PWM would be extra wires, which could add to vibrations, an extra component and less of a clean/simple look. I also have a D8R-II Plus with PPM encoder on another copter and well, it works but it's a little messier.

One nice thing about ppm on Pixhawk, also, not available yet on copter as far as I know but soon (already available on plane I think, planned for AC3.3? ) is that it will be able to do more than 8 channels, more like 12 or 14? via that single 3-wire cable.

Oh, one possible issue with ppm might be with respect to channel control bypassing Pixhawk, if you wanted to control directly servos for instance without hooking it up to pixhawk, gimbal for instance. Would depend on the Rx ...

Last edited by a moderator:

Flydigital

Just the answer I was hoping for. It just seemed a bit too god to be true how one cable can magically replace 8 or more. I think I'll need to look into it a bit more as I can;t see how my Turnigy 9x and the rest of the chain (Tx and Rx modules) understand what channel is what. With the `D8R-II Plus you physically plug cables into Ch1,2,3 etc. With the single cable I wonder how it all gets assigned.
My set up will be Turnigy 9x with FrSky DJT module and the D8R-XP module on the multicopter. Thanks for your advice!

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
There's nothing magic about PPM. The radio looks at all your controls, and generates PWM lengths for each channel. Then it combines them into a single PPMSum stream, and transmit it. The Rx receives the PPMSum stream, and breaks it up into channels, and sends it out to each servo channel port. Then you would use 8 wires, and send them all to your flight controller. Back in the day, the APM had a companion processor, that would take the 8 channel inputs, and combine them back into a single PPMSum stream that would get sent to the main processor, which would then read them in as 8 inputs again.... It's a LOT of back and forth. In the case of Pixhawk, you'd have to use an 8 Channel PPM Encoder, to externally combine the 8 channels back into a PPMSum stream to send them into the main processor.

Using PPM Sum just makes sense. It is actually so much simpler. Your Tx reads the controls, determines the PPM lengths, combines them into a PPMSum, transmits it to the Rx. The Rx takes the PPMSum and simply passes it through to the Pixhawk. The Pixhawk decodes it back into channels.

Every time you combine or disect the PPMSum signal, you introduce errors which can cause jitter and lag and... It's really anachronistic to send 8 channels into a flight controller.

The *only* advantage it 8 channels is that theoretically, if one of the wires has a problem, you still have control on the other 7. With PPMSum, if you lose the single wire, you lose all control. But this isn't really a problem. Losing one channel out of 8 means you have lots partial control. You can't fly a copter with the throttle channel, or the pitch or roll or yaw or mode channel not working. And now you have 8 possible failure points, instead of just 1. With a modern flight controller like Pixhawk, if you lose your PPMSum wire, it will go into failsafe, and do what you program it to do, which is usually an RTL. If you lose a single channel when using 8 wires, you'd probably have to switch it to RTL manually, but what if the channel you lost was your flight control channel?

Regardless, after flying these things for 3 years, I have yet to have a signal wire failure. I've had lots of failures of various types, but never a signal wire.

jdennings

Remember also that most other FC's use ppm. DJI Naza, wkm, a2 , etc ... It's pretty much the "standard". (if there was such a thing ...)

Also:

> One nice thing about ppm on Pixhawk, also, not available yet on copter as far as I know but soon (already available on plane I think, planned for AC3.3? ) is that it will be able to do more than 8 channels, more like 12 or 14? via that single 3-wire cable.

Actually just now available in ac 3.2 rc10, will be available in 3.2.
14 channels ... Cool!
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/drones-discuss/GEwJQDwbUHs

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
I thought many of the others still used 8 channel input? But I don't know.

Ultimately, we should just ditch PPM completely. It is SO anachronistic. It is a time-analog signal, it is NOT digital as some people think. The Tx should just generate a digital signal using some as-of-yet undeveloped protocol. Futaba took a stab at it with SBus, but of course they tried to make it proprietary.

jdennings

Was thinking more in terms of advanced fc's or those that allow some degree of autonomous flights, vs "manual" flyers like KK or MWC. The new Phobotics gimbal controller also does it.