XAircraft Pimped my Xaircraft x650 v8 with Torxpower heavy lift motors and WKM etc

Hi all thought i'd post some pics of my build incase anyone is wanting more power from their x650v8.
I'm upgrading to a skyjib x4 but untill i have enough money for the frame i decided to pimp my x650 v8 with the parts i've bought.

Upgrade the FC to Wookong M with OSD.
Upgraded ESCs to DJI 30a.
Upgraded motors to Torxpower heavy lift 3536.
Upgraded props to Xoar 11/5.
Lipos 2x 5000mah 4s Turnigy in parallel.
HF-X Red 2 axis gimbal.
I'm using the xaircraft fc as a stand alone Gimbal controller as the WKM is pants!

flight time 12 minutes leaving 3.75v per cell

My AUW with gimbal Sony NEX5, HDMI-SD convertor and Video TX is around 4300g.

Speed is around 25mph / 40kph according to the WK OSD.

Must thank Dixter for his thread on motor upgrades it was the way he mounted his motors to the x650 motor mounts that really helped.

feels totally different to fly now so much more power, took it for a spin today 20mph gust of wind but WKM holds it really well. i'm pretty new to MR so i'm finding this good training ship before i get the skyjib.

Gimbal is still twitchy i'm controlling tilt from another radio but i need an upgrade. would like to buy the AV200 360 with a dedicated stabilizer maybe picloc as that is what i'll use eventually on the sky jib. think i've got enough thrust to take it now.

Cheers

Olli

View attachment 7475View attachment 7476View attachment 7477View attachment 7478View attachment 7479View attachment 7480View attachment 7481View attachment 7482View attachment 7483View attachment 7484View attachment 7485[video]https://vimeo.com/the11littlefilms/review/52749685/252ba144b8[/video]

Attachments

• IMG_0011.jpg
    IMG_0011.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 430
  • IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 487
  • IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0009.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 479
  • IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 401
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 375

hjls3

that looks fun, nicely done. so how is the onboard footage? does the "twitchy" make it pretty unusable?

When the camera is set level its ok. but then there isn't enough rotation in servos to tilt the camera 90 degrees down, So i've angled the camera at around 30 degrees on the servo. So i can move between level and straight down from my 2nd radio but since doing this the tilt servo twitches alot making it unusable yeah, I can't stabilize the micro twitches out. here's some stuff i shot with this gimbal before upgrading motors. https://vimeo.com/the11littlefilms/review/49092274/14f230815b left the crop of on the stabilition in after effect so you can see how much movement there is.

Olli

Last edited by a moderator:

mosk

hi there..do you think is worth it to make these upgrades instead of getting a better copter? how much did it cost you?

Bowley

Looks a nice build you've done.
That's big motors and ESC's for that size of ship!
Hows the 1212 working out for gimbal stab?
I pimped my XA 650 with HFP, Turnigy 12A ESC's (stock motor/prop)
using XA 2X Gimbal which is working really well on Hoverfly Pro.

Tomstoy2

Look at your second pickture, at the IMU. The arrow on it is supposed to face the front, making your #1 boom to the front and left. Don't try to fly this way.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Look at your second pickture, at the IMU. The arrow on it is supposed to face the front, making your #1 boom to the front and left. Don't try to fly this way.

With the WKM it can face that way as it is adjusted on the WKMtool. Unlike the Naza

Dave

Flys great the gimbal is pants though loads of tilt slop and jitter. I've taken the plunge and invested in the Cinestar gimbal with radian so just waiting to get enough dosh to buy a skyjib x4 lite or cinestar frame now.

Last edited by a moderator:

hi there..do you think is worth it to make these upgrades instead of getting a better copter? how much did it cost you?

Defiantly worth it for me as i'm gradually upgrading to bigger ship so i'll use these upgrades on my next frame/gimbal setup. and like this i can fly a canon 550 for 9 mins untill i can afford all bit for my next build.

Bowley

Flys great the gimbal is pants though loads of tilt slop and jitter. I've taken the plunge and invested in the Cinestar gimbal with radian so just waiting to get enough dosh to buy a skyjib x4 lite or cinestar frame now.

Have a look at Vulcan frames, I fitted my cinestar mounting plate straight onto it with AV fixings, there is now an adaptor plate available from VulcanUAV to dispense with the CS Mounting plate. its good for CS and PH gimbals.

Have a look at Vulcan frames, I fitted my cinestar mounting plate straight onto it with AV fixings, there is now an adaptor plate available from VulcanUAV to dispense with the CS Mounting plate. its good for CS and PH gimbals.

Wow the Vulcan looks great cheap too! can they carry big cameras like the skyjib can? as i'd like to be able to lift a red epic one day.

Totality

Bowley, are you still using the XAircraft Gimbal with XA servos? I gave up on mine a few months and wondering whether to sell it or add on a hoverfly gimbal controller. I don't want to waste the money if it won't help the XA gimbal. I suspect it is the Naza controller causing random twitching. It can be fine, but then twitches ruining the video so it isnt all the time. Are the XA servos junk, or if I installed a hoverfly pro would the controller be enough to make the gimbal great?

Bowley

Yeah, I haven't given up on it yet, I have a savox 1258tg on the roll axis and the XA on the tilt. Have not really done too much with it in terms of video, a little testing just. its definitely smoother with the outputs from the HFP and I get a wide range of tilt angle also, which is much better, can go from horizontal to vertical and still have have some stabilzation left. its a lot less jerky than it was with any other FC I have tried it with, especially the Naza. its far from perfect as you would expect and unless there was next to no wind anything would have to be run through Warp stabilzer. I think thats the case with anything other than Zen, skyline or radian. I have heard that the HFG is smoother than the HFP for gimbal. There isnt an excessive amount of play in the gimbal so there is no reason it shouldnt work ok. there are extension plates available for it, which makes it more viable. I can fit an canon S95 on it with slightly hacked down AV connector plugged in....just. Im trying to find a 90° mini B usb connector for it.

Xaircraft 650 v8 also pimped!!!

I have just modified my XAircraft 650 v8. I will post better photos when I can, but the result is the most perfect quadcopter that I have flown.

I added the following:

Wookong M
Torxpower 2216 800s
turnigny 30amp ESCs
Graupner eProp 10s
Spacers and a new 'floor' to accommodate the ESCs

New screws - all Stainless

I am using 3s 5000s but have bought 4s 5000s, which I will try.

I have used standard settings for the WKM and it is completely gorgeous to fly. It has potential to carry a heavyish workload and under GPS Atti mode it just sits there in a perfect hover.

I am so impressed. Just need to fit LEDs and camera mount....

The WKM has used all the ports in the x octocopter mode, so I will be trying to source a gimbal and stabilisation device. Still not sure what to go for...

View attachment 8986View attachment 8985

If you want more photos, just shout

rich

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 346
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 339

Bowley

Bloody nice build Rich! looks great.
I have similar sentiments towards my HFP X650 V8 Its my favorite of my MR's hands down

Bowley, your help on this forum was invaluable. I was so grateful! It has been a lot of hours getting the x650 ready, but it was worth every second of work.

EAI llc

this is the same route we are headed.
We will re-use our pile of "hand-me-down" props and motors from our CS8.
I may try the MK guidance just to save the money on the NAZA or WK-M.