Phantom refuses to speak to Assistant. Bad Blood?

Betelgeuse

So my brand new Phantom 1.1.1 refuses to speak to the Assistant. Or maybe the Assistant refuses to respond?
Why can't the just kiss and make up?!

I've tried installing in all kinds of variations, driver first - assistant last vice versa. Uninstalling / reinstalling. Ad nauseum. I've even tried restoring my computer back to before I installed ANY DJI software and trying it all over again.

I have not yet tried a new USB cable because it seems to work fine with USB thumb drives and I AM getting a connection...just no communication (data exchange). Also, the blue and green lights in the assistant never turn on. Still, I plan to try a different cable before sending it back.

Of course, I've been researching their relationship over the Internet for a few days and have spoken with counselors at DJI but noone seems to have to solution to get these two love birds talking again <sigh>

The driver does appear in the Device Manager on the PC when it's plugged in and disappears when I unplug it so at the very least, the driver appears to be recognized and there does seem to be a connection between the two. They just WONT SPEAK !

I have a feeling the VU is working but not the NAZA unit. I'm no expert on these affairs, but the VU makes the power and data connection between the PC and thr NAZA (yes / No?)

So if the VU was good and the NAZA bad, wouldn't that be the result I have?

Please help me get these two star crossed love birds talking again!