People are getting drones for Christmas and

Hood49

For me there are two kinds of multirotor enthousiasts:

1. The RTF-GPS pilots
Not really interested in the technology or trying to get the perfect flight. Got the Phantom because you looked after your friends dog for three months when he was divorcing the woman that you wanted to marry when you were in high school. Just trying to get nice pictures and movies of the neighbours, the nearest nuclear power plant or Walter White's meth caravan. If it is broke, get a new one.

2. The DIY pilots
Building their multirotor from scratch spending hours trying to get the thing together. Getting a serous rush of satisfaction when you eventually see that the rig actually flies. Overcoming the wife's "braking balls" comments like: "what are you doing there up in your room all the time". Getting seriously annoyed when the rig does not do what you want it to do. Solving problems and you do not remember what you did to fix it. Crashing it to the nearest tree needing you to spend even more time in your room to fix the bloody thing with your wife telling you that you should paint the spare bedroom. Always wanting to upgrade and realising that it is starting to cost a bomb. Hey, why not start building a hex...

I am afraid that the first are going to wreck if for the second...

Old Man

I'm afraid I'm in the second group and made the mistake of tracking almost every cent I've spent making these things happen this year. I'd been wondering why I always seemed short of cash. After totaling all the receipts I now know why. Two smaller quads, a giant quad that needs to be an X-8, a hex and now an octo...

Y0urDaddy

I live in the Phoenix area, there has been a number of news stories here about folks getting multi-rotors for gifts and such similar to the NBC link above. I know there are a lot of people who just got one as a gift and have invested no real time in to learning about them at all.

For me it was important to learn how to fly a mircro, not GPS at all before I started to build a larger multi-rotor. I don't really think there is much you can do to keep someone from buying something like a Phantom and perhaps crashing it somewhere.

If I look at what Hood wrote I would think of myself as group 2. I guess we have to be the ones setting the example of what multi-rotor pilots should be doing (BTW... I did just get an F550 kit that my wife does not really know about yet.....)

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
gotta say, we're happy to see both types come through the door. if we don't welcome everyone and try to share good habits with everyone then we're just going to continue to see good people doing bad things which affects us all in the end.

keep in mind also that a lot of #1's will turn into #2's given the right encouragement. lol, that sounds a bit like potty humor now doesn't it?

everyone's welcome, c'mon in!

Hood49

Indeed, you are right.
In most of cases people came up to me and were really interested in the rigs and what I was doing. I try to go as far away as possible from civilisation.

Old Man

It works just like regular RC. If people that have been doing take a little time to help those just starting out newbies can develop a pattern of safety and good flight habits they can carry on the others. The only issue today is finding the newbies. They can be flying from their front or back yards.

FastCat Studio

chaos watcher
As a newbie (still waiting for UPS to deliver my little Syma) , I wish it was a little easier to find folks local to me that I could ask questions of. There are several groups but they don't really have a way to contact anyone on their sites.

Y0urDaddy

As a newbie (still waiting for UPS to deliver my little Syma) , I wish it was a little easier to find folks local to me that I could ask questions of. There are several groups but they don't really have a way to contact anyone on their sites.

It has been kind of hard for me to find local folks as well. I have been flying for around a year and a half or so. I live in a fairly large area, but so far I have not found anyone to fly with. I have heard of some local groups in the south west but so far I have not had too much luck connecting.

With that said the folks here have been very helpful and willing to share information. It is not quite the same as going out to fly with a buddy but overall the people here want to see everyone be successful.

Old Man

Where is your fairly large area? If around Tuscon you have people like John at Addictive RC that could seriously hook you up with other like minded people. There's some hobby shops around Mesa that have active followings as well and a stop in one of them might help make some connections. Your success IS our success!

Y0urDaddy

I live in Mesa. The shop I bought my F450 at I could walk to if I really wanted to. I have asked around for some places folks get together to fly and to gotten some info, but so far when I have went out to the locations no one has been there. To some degree it is my fault, I don't have that much free time with the nature of what I do and the ages of my kids and all. Right now they are a little young to bring with me & they have their own stuff they are in to.

It would be nice to hook up with some people I am sure I would get deeper in to the hobby if I had a few friends that were in to it as well. Right now I am the only one I know that flies multi-rotors.

Old Man

Start a thread requesting to connect with people in your area. Expand your location info in your profile settings to also note Mesa so it will show up on your avatar. Easier for people to see where you are.

Y0urDaddy

I had a similar thought, but I was more thinking of a south west US section to the local action forum. A little while ago I had shot a PM to the contact/moderator of that section but they may not have seen it. I see that there is a sub forum for Florida, Eastern US & such. I think it would be neat to get one for the south west region. I am sure there are a few people here in the Phoenix area that would use it.