PDB soldering integrity

nealj4

Hi All, Just building my first multi rotor (Tarot 680 pro) and have been reading a lot of reviews on the potential problems of soldering your power and esc wires to the power board. I am an industrial controls technical for 35 years and in my experience soldering should not be relied on for mechanical strength as well as power transfer in an application such as this with a lot of potential vibration and a lot at stake if there is a failure. I'm considering just using terminal strips to connect all wire. Also gives a hub to connect accessory power cords. Picture attached below. Also it is a lot easier for someone not comfortable with soldering and you can disconnect and reconnect with ease.These particular ones are available at McMaster-Carr WWW.mcmaster.com.
Any thoughts would be appreciated pro or con on the idea. Also is there any reason one cannot drill thru the PDB ?? ( holes for tye raps and stuff)
Thanks for your input.
Neal

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Hey Neal. Welcome to MRF. I just built the same frame - and I did use the integrated PDB. But I do understand your apprehension. There are some pretty nice PDB that can be purchased (there's a recent thread about it) but of course that's still solder holding the life of your MR in its hands.

The picture didn't show up on my phone - but I'm familiar with terminal strips. I can't see why it wouldn't work, as long as you had the room. There's a lot of talk about the Anderson Powerpole connectors which are solderless as well. The debate rages on solder vs non-solder, PDB vs squid/hard solder etc.

i was reluctant to drill thru the integrated PDB on the 680pro because it didn't seem to have a lot of gaps where you could tell there was no copper beneath the paint. At least not where I needed the holes.

nealj4

Thanks MOTOPRESEVRVE for the input. I appreciate it.Could not get the pic to upload.But the terminal strip is a screw clamp type, 12 terminals in a row. I use them all the time in in electrical cabinet work.

Attachments

• Term Block.jpg
    Term Block.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 266

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks MOTOPRESEVRVE for the input. I appreciate it.Could not get the pic to upload.But the terminal strip is a screw clamp type, 12 terminals in a row. I use them all the time in in electrical cabinet work.

Gotcha. That's a little different than I was thinking - but seems like it offers more protection against shorts. The size will be the only factor.