parts list, am i on the right track?

jer

Code:
Quantity    Stock            Product description                Price    Weight     

1            Dji Naza-M Lite w/ GPS
5            GARTT 2212 920kv 230W Motor
5        BK    9351000008 - Turnigy Multistar 30 Amp Multi-rotor Bru..     $56.45    220
1        OK    366000005-0 - Q450 V3 Glass Fiber Quadcopter Frame 450..     $12.63    495
2        OK    9329000026 - Slow Fly Electric Prop 1045SF (4 pc)        $6.14    114    
2        OK    9329000027 - Slow Fly Electric Prop 1045R SF RH Rotat..        $6.14    114    
1        OK    Voltage-Alarm - Hobbyking 2-8S Cell Checker with Low Vol..    $3.80    23    
1        OK    9052000065-3 - IMAX B6-AC Charger/Discharger 1-6 Cells ..    $36.99    1094    
2        OK    T3300.3S.30 - Turnigy 3300mAh 3S 30C Lipo Pack            $51.52    766    
1        OK    TX-9X-M2 - Turnigy 9X 9Ch Transmitter w/ Module & 8..         $59.99    1375
1        OK    T2650.3S.1C - Turnigy 2650mAh 3S 1C LLF Tx Pack (Futab..    $12.75    208

I bought the motors already is the rest on par for a newb quad?

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Go 4S on the packs, get Afro ESC's instead of Multistars, get any other radio rather than the 9X.

Cheers

Pete

jer

Go 4S on the packs, get Afro ESC's instead of Multistars, get any other radio rather than the 9X.

Cheers

Pete

Which packs would you point me to? I have been reading up on the Afros ESCs.
As for the Radio which should I look at price wise?

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Anything around 30C will do fine but if you just want a couple to get started then grab some Zippy Compact's or basic Turnigy's around 3000mH, bigger will give more flight time, smaller will be a more agile.

Flavour of the month for radios seem to be the Taranis at around $200, it will be money well spent, I don't have one but fly with others that do and they like them a lot.

Oh and make sure you get the 30A Afro ESC's.

Pete

jer

Would tossing a Turnigy 3600mAh 4S 30C Lipo net me a decent run time, plan on buying two.
$200 on the radio would set me over budget with the Naza, would anything fit the bill around the $100 range? The way shipping rates are going eats into the fun.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
I don't recommend cheap radios, some people have a good experience with them but if you can't afford to get something reasonable get the 9XR rather than the 9X.

Pete

TAZ427

I had a similar list when I started out, I had to add to the list since then, as there's a lot of things that you'll eventually have laying around if your building a number of these guys but on a first build you may not have.

If you don't have them, then you'll probably want to grab a pack of 3 pin extension leads (Radio Rx to Controller), a Propeller balancer (and some 220-600 grit sand paper) - some CA glue, batter lead connectors of your choice (I went with XT60) as you'll most likely have batteries with different headers from your charger/balancer and to wire up the power distribution board for battery plug. Some shrink wrap for protection of these modifications, hot glue or kapton tape to cover contacts on PDB. Some Loctite Blue (use it on anything you bolt up.) Some 10awg wire to mount plug to power distribution board.

Do you have tin/lead solder and soldering iron that's at least 40W? Wire strippers and a hobby multi-clip holder are nice to have.

Personally I don't have enough experience to comment on component and radio choice, but the one thing to keep in mind, you can pretty much always upgrade later on just about anything you get. I'm going the low cost route and see which things make me happy and which things I feel I need to upgrade later. I personally am only going with the Turnigy 6Ch 2.4GHz FHSS Tx/Rx with the expectation that I'll upgrade at some point in the future after I go FPV. As long as it keeps me in the are within visual site at this point (say 300M / 1000') I expect I'll be happy with it. I'm using the KK2.1 controller so 4Chan + 5th channel if I want to put Autolevel on switch is all I need at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:

jer

thanks for the feedback.

i was looking into some of video howtos about tools and things you might need on the way, i should be pretty good. I order up some 12awg silicon wire (should i get 10 for the amps??) also picked up a few connectors just to keep on hand.

I was been looking at some CA glue as that looked pretty neat compared to expoxy.

I have the motors and flight controllor in route and waiting on hobby king to release the rest seems my frame is holding things up from the US warehouse. I did buy another off eBay but thats shipping from China... Might get here at the same time.

Good tip about thread locker I keep the blue stuff handy for my rifle stuff as well.

TAZ427

You really want some 10awg from the battery lead to the power distribution board. 12awg is rated 88A, and 10awg is rated 140A, your talking 30A ESCs so that's 120A potential draw. I bought some from Home Depot for $0.37 per foot, so it's cheap and readily available.

jer

Good point.

I have the normal home wiring in 10awg but a hard plastic jacket didn't think that was good for soldering. I'll order up some silicon 10awg then.

TAZ427

Most home wiring is solid wire and not braided, you'll want braided wire, and flexible jacket. Both Lowes and Home Depot sell this in braided wire, again it's very in expensive, you'll probably burn more in gas than on the wire;-)

jer

Made some progress and some road blocks. When ordered from hobbyking I didn't order the right amount of ESCs only one in the box... Awesome! So 4 more are on the way.

I also noticed I bought the wrong props and the motors have a notch in the base and no room for the cap to fit on.

Guess I'll be doing a bit more research on that one now!

re4enupy.jpg

vy5yzyqu.jpg

I have to say getting the new plug on the battery wire was a total pain in the butt.

sytuhanu.jpg

jer

One leg at a time!!
by8aququ.jpg

Used butt connectors to 12awg wire.
byne7ega.jpg

Need to pick up some better zip ties and some basic foam.
6e5ysy2y.jpg

Shall wait till HK gets the rest of my parts.

jer

I have pulled my build apart to clean up the wiring and install a new landing legs.

jer

thats not a bad price at all. i went to home depot (hardware store) and picked up a 65watt iron works a lot better then my 35watt.

my gimbal parts came in already.

Attachments

• 2014-07-03 23.18.37.jpg
    2014-07-03 23.18.37.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 327
  • 2014-07-03 23.18.45.jpg
    2014-07-03 23.18.45.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 351