Parameters

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
After yesterdays unexpected crash (aint they all) I have been looking into the parameters in MKtools. My ADX came with the parameters set by the builder as beginners settings. I am trying to understand them all and have printed the Parameters page off the wiki site but the Gyro and Misc are in german. These to me seem a vital part of keeping it in the air so any help here would be appreciated.

Some examples of set ups would be good for all just starting out with a MK set up.. especially ME!

I would appreciate some help with the Gyro and Misc settings especially the TX lost emergency Gas settings. I have looked at my current set up but dont fully understand it. Mine is set to ;- Emergency time [90] Emergency Gas [46] It would help if there was something in english!

dave

FlyEYE

Looking forward to seeing the comments here.

I`ve just set up a Poti for the GPS Gain, mine was set to 100%, haven`t had a chance to try this out yet but I am getting quite a bit of swing with the GPS hold at 100%. Apparently lowering it will reduce the swing.

Playing around with GPS ACC will be the nest step.

But then how do these interact with all the other settings, ex. like GPS wind correction.
Should we have different settings depending on wind, temperature, weight... Is there a way to call up a confige file depending on these conditions?

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Hmmm, MK flight controller parameter settings, an interesting subject to say the least. If there is one part of Mikrokopter that needs good documentation it's this and unfortunately the existing documentation is either very much out of date, in German, or has been semi-translated into Germanglish. That said I posted links to some of the better (?) English versions of what documentation does exist in post #4 here... http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?78-MK-Tools..-English-!

One thing I realized yesterday is that there are some significant differences in how the settings want to be from firmware version .80(x) to version .82b. After replacing the F/C board in the Droidworx AD-6 I restored the last saved setting file I had for the old board which had .80g (I think) loaded at that time, the new board has .82b. I did some low level slow flying around the yard and it looked OK, wasn't until I got out to a frozen lake yesterday and could actually fly it that I found out the settings were rubbish.

After I got home the Hexa went on the bench and current config file got dumped by reinitializing the memory on the board, from there I started with the basic beginner config and changed only the settings unique to my setup, Poti's, Camera, and features mostly. A quick test flight outside in the now much stronger wind found the Hexa to be a lot more stable with an almost factory parameter setup. Bumping the Gyro Stability setting even more made a HUGE difference, one of those things that were changed in firmware .82 I gather.

When I have some time to gather some of this information together and make sense of it I'll put together a document that will give you at least some idea of what you're doing when making changes. For now I suggest taking a look at those links I posted and if you do decide to make a change, do ONE thing at a time and then go fly to see what effect it's having. If you change multiple things at once you'll have no clue which setting just caused it to start flying like crap. Oh yeah, one last thing, make sure to save the current settings to a file before you start making changes, that way if you hopelessly muck it up you can easily get back to where you started.
Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks Ken.. I have looked at those links.. I have put together all the stuff I can find in english and put them in a folder on my public disc. I will post a link to it so you can see what I have found. I was going to PM bart about building a page with all the current and working links on so we can all contribute what we find to it.

Where can you find out what firmware is on your board?

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Thanks Ken.. I have looked at those links.. I have put together all the stuff I can find in english and put them in a folder on my public disc. I will post a link to it so you can see what I have found. I was going to PM bart about building a page with all the current and working links on so we can all contribute what we find to it.

Where can you find out what firmware is on your board?

With the MK powered up and a connection to your computer available either direct via USB or over an Xbee/bluetooth, open MKtool and click on the button for the flight control board. Once the tool receives data from the board it will display the current firmware version in the window at the center of the screen, same is true for the rest of the boards, click on each button and the firmware version will be displayed in the same window.

Ken

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Ken.. Back down in London but have brought me ADX with me hoping to get some footage for work. I will check out what I have/

Again thanks for sharing your knowledge

Dave

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Some examples of set ups would be good for all just starting out with a MK set up.. especially ME!

I would appreciate some help with the Gyro and Misc settings especially the TX lost emergency Gas settings. I have looked at my current set up but dont fully understand it. Mine is set to ;- Emergency time [90] Emergency Gas [46] It would help if there was something in english!

dave

Last night I did an experiment with my Hexa to see the difference between where the parameter settings were and the out of the box setup with minor tweaks. What I did was write down all the really important settings that need to stay as is, those being the camera setup and poti/channel assignments, as well as a few that should be adjusted up from stock, the Emergency Gas Time and the Emergency Gas. Once that was done I clicked on the magic triangle in MKtool and let it overwrite all the settings back to factory/beginner.

Before I did anything else I reset the camera settings back to where I had them, I found out the hard way a while back that it is possible for the Pro Mini mount to drive the camera platform completely off the arch rollers if the roll servo settings are wrong! :eek:

Once I wrote those to the F/C I then proceeded to initialize the gyros and start the motors on the bench, everything was working as it should. Next I set the Motor Safety Switch to the same Poti that the altitude hold is on as I sometimes use Vario A/H and that will prevent motor shutdown as long as A/H is engaged, tested that by spinning up the motors, flipping the switch for A/H and trying to shutdown the motors, they didn't so it works.

Emergency gas time IMO should always be set to the maximum, 240 I think is the highest it will go. That way should the MK lose TX signal you have the best chance for recovery if the F/C is allowed as much time as the programming permits for an emergency descent. The Emergency Gas setting should be right below what it takes for your setup to hover, you want it to be coming down if the signal is lost, but slowly, not dropping like a brick and that's where having the right E-Gas setting comes in. You may have to do some testing to find the proper setting, I have mine around 110 for a fully loaded setup as it takes a bit over 1/2 stick to hover presently.

Two other parameters where changed from the current default. In Altitude tab the Z-ACC setting now defaults to 0 rather than the previous 30 due to concerns about prop imbalance or other vibration sources causing a problem. Since I'm using Graupners and have as little vibration as possible I set it back to 30 as noted in the .80 firmware documentation. The other big change for firmware .82 is the Gyro stability setting introduced in .80, it's explained as "This parameter can reduce the "hardness" of the attitude controller. In the beta test was noticed that there may be advantages to reduce the hardness."

I take that to mean that the sensitivity of the gyro control can be reduced (Hardness factor) by lowering this setting and I pretty much proved to myself when it was set too low and the Mk was all over the place in the wind at the lake last weekend that there is a point where it's too low. In .82 the setting has been changed to allow for a maximum setting of 16, the default now being 6 I believe. If they have increased the granularity of the setting to allow for 16 steps then IMO 6 is way too low, especially if you're trying to keep the MK steady enough for A/P work, so I set mine to 12.

Charged the batts and put the MK on the shelf for the evening. A while ago I took it outside to see what it was going to do. Perfect conditions to test in, it's been blowing strong gusts all day and only slightly declined as the sun starts to set. Wanted to try earlier but the wind was just too strong to take the risk of bouncing the MK off any of the myriad immovable objects surrounding the house like trees, cars, electrical feed lines, etc. I have to say it's a LOT steadier now, other than the fight to maintain a constant altitude due to wind gusts the MK was very well behaved. Whether that is enough of a change from where it was I won't know until I have a chance to get back over to the lake or at least to an area open enough to be able to get some altitude and fly around with the video camera recording, but so far it looks encouraging.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Ken

Thanks for this.. I have been working away and always go to the new post to check whats been posted but I missed this..

I did my first unofficial shoot yesterday for a client. He wants me to do shoot on a nice day but I was passing the site on my way home yesterday so thought would have a practice on the site. It was a tad windy and dull as dishwater but I did get some good flights in. I have an problem with my new CX4 though as it seems to be really sensitive to vibration as a lot of my sstills cam out blurred. It could be I did not RTFM the camera manual so will have to make sure is not something to do with it focusing between shots. Got some good video with GoPro and TZ10 but I do have a slight vibration issue to sort out which only affects the TZ10. The GoPro is fine. Just need to get the Sunex lens now.

Dave

PS Thanks again for taking the time to reply so extensively