Panasonic GH3 Users thread

kloner

Aerial DP
View attachment 15418

mostly the sandisk ones, but they gotta be from a reputable place. Those sd are the most counterfit thing i've ever come across especially on ebay

Attachments

• IMG_0218.jpg
    IMG_0218.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 309

jfro

Aerial Fun
I'd second pretty much everything Quinton mentioned a couple posts earlier.

Ideal shutter speed is 2x your recording frame rate. If you shooting 25 fps, then 50 is you optimal shutter speed. 50p then 100 on the shutter. For more different looks, you can go up as Quiton says with the optimal settings being whole number increments. for 25 p, 50, 100, 200, 400 etc... Personally, if I don't have a ND filter on the MR, I set it to either 24 or 60fps, and then get a shutter speed that is just a touch underexposed, unless my main subject is in the shadows and there isn't much to blow out. I worry more about exposure than absolute correct shutter speed if I don't have ND on.

For correct imagery on portraits, ie, getting the nose, ears, and everything else proportionally correct, 85mm is the sweet spot, while others will say maybe 65-110 or something similar. I've always thought 85mm was pretty sweet.

I use a Nikon 35mm lens for people interviews and training films on my Gh2 and GH3, esp for tight shots. I use the hacked gh2's more than the gh3 as the moire is not good on the GH3. However, the 50 or 60p on the GH3 is the reason for it being in the air more.

The only gotcha on lens for the gh3 to pocket cam is to check out if the auto exposure and focus works. Not all the auto lens have been dialed in on the Black Magic 4/3 cameras. The 14-140 didn't work on the original Black Magic Cinema camera, but it seems when I tried it on the pocket camera, it worked properly. It isn't a fast lens, so you need a well lit environment on that one.

I tried autofocus a couple times flying, never again. Manual everything for me.

I usually focus on something that isn't too far in front of me (sometimes enabling autofocus for while I focus), then arm the MR and go. The wider you are the more depth of field you will have. I'll have to get a chart and try the hyperfocal distance that Quinton is speaking of. I think I do something similar, but not to the exact number. I just have feel of what to focus on in front of me.

Balancing is so critical on brushless gimbals, I haven't spent alot of time on changing lens as I'm struggling for consistency. I'm interested in seeing what the radian mods do but that's a fair more money than the Alexmos Brushless setups. Hopefully over time, Alexmos based gimbals will get sorted out and more consistent.

Any lens for your GH3 will fit on your BMPC. If you want to use auto exposure or auto focus to set up you shot, check Black Magic to make sure that lens is working properly.

There is a hot new adapter on the market for the Black Magic Cameras, called Metabones. They are $500 US and there is a different one for the Black Magic Cinema Camera and another for the PocketCam. They make a less expensive one for the Gh2/Gh3. They work with Nikon Lens, of which the old manual lens are my some of my favorites on the BMPC and GH2/3 for video.

For 16x9 shooting, crop factor for gh2 is 1.9, for gh2 is 2.14, and for Pocket cam is 2.88.
The fov for the Metabones adapter on the BMCC is .58 making a lens on the BMPC to an equivalent super 35mm which is a standard in the film world.
FOV for orig Metabones on GH2/Gh3 is .71.
So, for example, a 24mm f2.8 lens would look like this.

Crop Effective Focal Metabones BMPC Focal F STop Metabones gh2/gh3 adapter f stop
Gh2 24mm f2.8 1.9 45.6 32mm f2.0

Gh3 24mm f2.8 2.15 51.7 37mm f2.0

BMPC 24mm f2.8 2.88 69.12 40.09mm 1.6

Sorry if the above doesn't read right, (don't know how to make tabs in forums).

So, a 24mm lens on you GH3 is 51.7 mm
On the BMPC without the adapter, it's 51.7mm and with the Metabones, it's 40.09mm. Also, the f2.8 becomes a f1.6 with the Metabones. To some, well worth the $500.

Metabones adapter for the Gh2 & GH3 is $429. I've got to research to see if the BMPC version will fit on the gh2/gh3.

Here is the chart from Metabones on the 4/3 adapters.

In the end, the metabones will add weight and extend the lens out as a negative. As a positive, it brings lots of old Nikon glass into play, makes it easier to get wide to mid wide lens, and lower the f-stop by 1 to 1 2/3 for low light shooting. Just 2 bad one size doesn't fit all.....

Sorry for any grammer or typos. This quick reply took too long......

Sandisk 95/mbs for GH3 and BMPC. If just for GH3, you don't need the 95/mbs cards. Any class 10 will work on GH3.

View attachment 15422

Attachments

• BMCC Matrix S-1.jpg
    BMCC Matrix S-1.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 167

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
WOW

Just brilliant and again thanks for posting.. I need to go read again but I have been copying Quintons contributions in to a doc and will extract more from here..
MASIVE thanks to all the Pros sharing their IP..

Any you just saved me a good few quid by not buying a 95mbps card so I owe you a beer! Well a few actually!

Thats what I love about this forum

Dave

I'd second pretty much everything Quinton mentioned a couple posts earlier.

Ideal shutter speed is 2x your recording frame rate. If you shooting 25 fps, then 50 is you optimal shutter speed. 50p then 100 on the shutter. For more different looks, you can go up as Quiton says with the optimal settings being whole number increments. for 25 p, 50, 100, 200, 400 etc... Personally, if I don't have a ND filter on the MR, I set it to either 24 or 60fps, and then get a shutter speed that is just a touch underexposed, unless my main subject is in the shadows and there isn't much to blow out. I worry more about exposure than absolute correct shutter speed if I don't have ND on.

For correct imagery on portraits, ie, getting the nose, ears, and everything else proportionally correct, 85mm is the sweet spot, while others will say maybe 65-110 or something similar. I've always thought 85mm was pretty sweet.

I use a Nikon 35mm lens for people interviews and training films on my Gh2 and GH3, esp for tight shots. I use the hacked gh2's more than the gh3 as the moire is not good on the GH3. However, the 50 or 60p on the GH3 is the reason for it being in the air more.

The only gotcha on lens for the gh3 to pocket cam is to check out if the auto exposure and focus works. Not all the auto lens have been dialed in on the Black Magic 4/3 cameras. The 14-140 didn't work on the original Black Magic Cinema camera, but it seems when I tried it on the pocket camera, it worked properly. It isn't a fast lens, so you need a well lit environment on that one.

I tried autofocus a couple times flying, never again. Manual everything for me.

I usually focus on something that isn't too far in front of me (sometimes enabling autofocus for while I focus), then arm the MR and go. The wider you are the more depth of field you will have. I'll have to get a chart and try the hyperfocal distance that Quinton is speaking of. I think I do something similar, but not to the exact number. I just have feel of what to focus on in front of me.

Balancing is so critical on brushless gimbals, I haven't spent alot of time on changing lens as I'm struggling for consistency. I'm interested in seeing what the radian mods do but that's a fair more money than the Alexmos Brushless setups. Hopefully over time, Alexmos based gimbals will get sorted out and more consistent.

Any lens for your GH3 will fit on your BMPC. If you want to use auto exposure or auto focus to set up you shot, check Black Magic to make sure that lens is working properly.

There is a hot new adapter on the market for the Black Magic Cameras, called Metabones. They are $500 US and there is a different one for the Black Magic Cinema Camera and another for the PocketCam. They make a less expensive one for the Gh2/Gh3. They work with Nikon Lens, of which the old manual lens are my some of my favorites on the BMPC and GH2/3 for video.

For 16x9 shooting, crop factor for gh2 is 1.9, for gh2 is 2.14, and for Pocket cam is 2.88.
The fov for the Metabones adapter on the BMCC is .58 making a lens on the BMPC to an equivalent super 35mm which is a standard in the film world.
FOV for orig Metabones on GH2/Gh3 is .71.
So, for example, a 24mm f2.8 lens would look like this.

Crop Effective Focal Metabones BMPC Focal F STop Metabones gh2/gh3 adapter f stop
Gh2 24mm f2.8 1.9 45.6 32mm f2.0

Gh3 24mm f2.8 2.15 51.7 37mm f2.0

BMPC 24mm f2.8 2.88 69.12 40.09mm 1.6

Sorry if the above doesn't read right, (don't know how to make tabs in forums).

So, a 24mm lens on you GH3 is 51.7 mm
On the BMPC without the adapter, it's 51.7mm and with the Metabones, it's 40.09mm. Also, the f2.8 becomes a f1.6 with the Metabones. To some, well worth the $500.

Metabones adapter for the Gh2 & GH3 is $429. I've got to research to see if the BMPC version will fit on the gh2/gh3.

Here is the chart from Metabones on the 4/3 adapters.

In the end, the metabones will add weight and extend the lens out as a negative. As a positive, it brings lots of old Nikon glass into play, makes it easier to get wide to mid wide lens, and lower the f-stop by 1 to 1 2/3 for low light shooting. Just 2 bad one size doesn't fit all.....

Sorry for any grammer or typos. This quick reply took too long......

Sandisk 95/mbs for GH3 and BMPC. If just for GH3, you don't need the 95/mbs cards. Any class 10 will work on GH3.

View attachment 19294

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
For anyone who doesn't have a clue what we are talking about here is a good page describing what is going on..
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/panasonic_gh2_11_mode_revealed.shtml

Also I know this next link is the 5d mk3 doing 3x, if you have not already seen it, it is a REALLY good read on how Magic Lantern does the same thing but it is done over the whole sensor in RAW (unbelievable option for this kind of camera, just a pity the option was not there when not using RAW).
http://blog.planet5d.com/2013/06/ma...le-every-lens-in-your-bag-new-demo-shows-how/

Good lord! I finally took the time to read through all the links and replies on this topic and I can't believe I have now only just learnt about Extra Tele Conversion (EX Tele Conv) or ETC as the chap in the above link calls it.

Do any of you guys with GH2s actually use ETC for your videos? It's seems like a great way to get a slightly zoomed in look. I can pretend I'm flying much closer to stuff (without actually having to get too close). Does the GH3 have this function? (See, brought it back to GH3 in the end)

Av8Chuck

It would also be interesting to know what effect ETC has on AP beyond changing the focal length. I would imagine that condensing the pixels on the sensor the way it does would also increase the possibility of getting jello. Anyone tried this with AP?

Quinton

The metabones is a really good tool and you can get it for many cameras to take whatever lenses you already have, just make sure you get the "speed booster" type as it also interacts between your camera and your lens.

I am way too deep into Canon Lenses, but if I had a choice for Micro Four Thirds cameras the first one I would be getting is the 12-35 F2.8
However I would like someone that is flying the GH2/3 to do a small test with IOS turned on, then do another test with it turned off, just to see what the difference is, if any.

A couple which no one ever mentions is Voigtlander 0.95 25mm, which is really top of the list if you can get hold of it and you'll never lose money on it, and one that I own myself the Leica Summilux 25mm 1.4ASPH (small, light and very fast/sharp)
You will be hard pushed to get better lenses than these for normal work, but there is no Image Stabilisation, so I would like to see someone do a test with IS turned on/off to see what difference it makes.

The game changes a lot when looking for lenses to fly with, as you don't really need fast lenses at all and focus is not so important as you will never really need to focus when in the air, just remember lenses are for life..your camera you will probably change next year...when the next greatest one is released.

aerial imagery

Hi guys, does the GH3 have live video out like the go pro so that I'm able to switch cameras on while recording to confirm the shot? Thanks, Carl.

Cancel that, I just scrolled up and found the answer :highly_amused:

Last edited by a moderator:

Javajack

Java Post Aerial Photo
Looking forward to the GH4 and 4K. Currently using GH3 but don't like issues with moire on bricks, shingles, metal patterns, etc. otherwise a great camera, but don't like the line dropping or interpolation going on.