Panasonic GH3/4 Control for Aerial Video and Photo

Benjimoto

Hello all, I'm new here blah blah get to the point.

I've been flying a DJI Phantom 1 with the Tarot T2-d, fatshark fpv, GoPro 3 black learning how to do aerial photo and video. After about 2 months of on and off practice shooting and a trip to Brasil (I have photos and such, but none of it is color corrected yet), and some excellent advice from Ben Rowland at Yonder Blue, I'm looking to build a Y6 that'll hoist a Panasonic GH3/4. I've been flying RC heli's for a little under a year now, with my main learning platform being a Trex 450, so I can pretty safely fly the heli and not kill anyone.

The only piece of information that I simply cannot find (or am just blind and miss it) is how you control the blasted camera whilst in the air. I'm hoping to control essentially everything, ISO, F-stop, white balance, focus, switch between photo and video, zoom if I can. I'd be looking to hook the camera up to "something" via it's HDMI port, but I don't even know what I'm looking for is technically called.

Can anybody help me out?

Thanks a trundle!

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Hey Ben!

I had a similar route. Had a Trex 450 for 6 years and learnt hard 3D, but there was no money in that. Got an F550 and popped a GoPro on it with some Fatshark goggles and was hooked!

I can't help you with controlling exposure factors in the air. I think most of us set it up on the ground and the only thing we can control in the air is when to start recording/take a picture.

I'm sure a more experienced member will help with finding your 'thingy-ma-jig' (technical term:nevreness:).

Welcome to the forum!

Benjimoto

Thanks for the welcome! You have a great name by the way ;D

I'm sure I'm being unrealistic in my hopes with camera control, do you get live view on your S800 + GH2 combo? If so could you direct me to a product to get me started looking in the right direction?

Thanks!

Benjamin Kenobi

Thanks mate! It's my real name too!

Well, there's lots of ways to transmit video. I use a Zenmuse gimbal so just plug an ImmersionRC video transmitter (Vtx) straight into it, and I watch the live feed on a tripod-mounted monitor with built-in receiver (Vrx). Simples!

Cool?

Cheshirecat

The GH3 Has built in WiFi in a,b,g,n spec and works with an Apple or Android app called Panasonic Lumix Link V2.1.25 which gives control of most stuff up to around 200 Feet.
I understand it directly links to the Apple or Android device so does not need to connect to a Wi Fi router first.
The only issue is the fact that the IEEE 802.11 B,G,N Bands operate at 2.4Ghz as do most RC radios so you could well have a signal conflict and resulting issue,although the 2.4Ghz band is heavily congested anyway but there is not usually a transmitter source a few inches away from your 2.4 RX, you could look to use a 35 Mhz radio instead but then you have the issues of frequency sharing with other FM Radios and probably a limited choice of models nowdays.

Benjimoto

I've got an ImmersionRC vtx for my GoPro too, talks right to the Dominators, do you have a way to trigger the camera using the ImmersionRC transmitter?

It's also my name, ergo the mutual ego stroking! :D

Benjimoto

Thanks for the info Chesh, I've come across the wifi/RX conflict before, something I've just decided to avoid because most of the shooting I hope to do would be over water (scary!). Is camera control (even if it's just firing the camera) even remotely possible with 5.8ghz tx?

Check out the guys at smart little things and see if their stratosnapper2 has anything for gh3/4. This is configured thru your tx/RX and most functions can be toggled on your tx .

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Benjamin Kenobi

Thanks for the info Chesh, I've come across the wifi/RX conflict before, something I've just decided to avoid because most of the shooting I hope to do would be over water (scary!). Is camera control (even if it's just firing the camera) even remotely possible with 5.8ghz tx?

I trigger the recording via the main RC transmitter. The 5.8GHz is just for transmission to the ground. 2.4GHZ from ground to the air. Just use a spare channel on your receiver/transmitter.

On that note, get a transmitter and receiver with lots of channels! :nevreness:

Hi Benjimoto,

I use the DX18 which gives me the channels to control the aircraft and gimbal system, my Z15 has the ability to start stop record on video and shutter control for images. As Mr Kenobi said 5.8ghz is only for video link no other controls work with this, on some gimbal you can adapt them to take a zoom function and use the RC shutter system for images and possibly start stop record on video. have you tried the go pro control with the set up you have now ?
but most DSLR when zooming will take the gimbal out of balance when the lens extends out.