One Transmitter can control simuntaneously a lot multirotors ????

DONE56

Hi guys,
i'm new here. I'am an artist and I work in the field of visual arts and new media. For my next installation I decided to work with my new hobby: the mini quadcopters, (so only for indoor use).
The project consists of several mini quadcopters or helicopters controlled with a single transmitter.
WARNING it's NOT this kind of project:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQIMGV5vtd4
The project in this video was developed by a university research team. They have developed a sophisticated software to be able to fly the drone in this way. This is not what I want. I do not want to replicate this type of project in a theatre or museum space, I am not an engineer and my field is not science, so it is not my intention to show this type of technological feat. It is also way beyond my budget.

I want to work with this kind of RC
http://gznewtimes.en.alibaba.com/pro..._function.html
precisely because it's a toy, not a hyper-technological quadcopter.
Now the big question is: is it possible to control cca. 10-20 models of Cx-10 or other models with a single transmitter for 30-45 seconds? Or put another way: can the signal from a single transmitter communicate simultaneously (or with a bit of delay) with 10-20 receivers that have the same frequency?
I know that this devices work in 2.4 Ghz and that they are programmed to change the frequencies in the presence of other receivers. If I remember well the receivers' range is between 2,405 and 2,485. But is it possible to reprogram the Rx embedded in a microcontroller to reduce the range of frequency? I am really new in this field so sorry if my question is put in an awkward way, but sincerely I don't know how to put it differently. Tell me if there is an easier or more intelligent way to achieve this result.
I know that a few seconds after the take off, the quadcopters will be increasingly difficult to control and that eventually they will start crashing one into another, but this is that I want!
I just want to see them perform these basic actions "together" : go up, go left, go right, go down. It can last no more than 1 minute.
If you have any suggestions I would be very grateful!!!!
Thanks

Cbergen

I believe it can be done, simply put all the receivers into bind mode at the same time, then bind the transmitter to them all at once. Some large RC aircraft use 2 or 3 receivers to operate the controls with one Tx....

Ronan

I have seen it done with a computer controlling multiple multirotors. It's not a easy task.

I also know you can have multiple receivers on 1 r/c model and they work 'together'. But as to separate them... I know with a FUTABA you can have multiple receivers learn the same TX code. Not sure how effective it would be.

I think [MENTION=6734]gtranquilla[/MENTION] would know a lot more.

Av8Chuck

No you can't do anything like that with one Tx. Even though you can get multiple Rx's to respond to the same Tx, the second they lift off they will be going in different directions. They won't all lift off at the same throttle setting, they will all fly just differently enough to make this task virtually impossible.

Of coarse if you try please video and share with the rest of us. It actually sounds like a lot of fun.

I just tried it with two small toy quads and it didn't work.

Cbergen

I should add, yes it can be done, but I'm not too hopeful on the results, as AV8Chuck explained. :)

definitely post video of the results...

RikMac

Hi guys,
i'm new here. I'am an artist and I work in the field of visual arts and new media. For my next installation I decided to work with my new hobby: the mini quadcopters, (so only for indoor use).
The project consists of several mini quadcopters or helicopters controlled with a single transmitter.
WARNING it's NOT this kind of project:

The project in this video was developed by a university research team. They have developed a sophisticated software to be able to fly the drone in this way. This is not what I want. I do not want to replicate this type of project in a theatre or museum space, I am not an engineer and my field is not science, so it is not my intention to show this type of technological feat. It is also way beyond my budget.

I want to work with this kind of RC
http://gznewtimes.en.alibaba.com/pro..._function.html
precisely because it's a toy, not a hyper-technological quadcopter.
Now the big question is: is it possible to control cca. 10-20 models of Cx-10 or other models with a single transmitter for 30-45 seconds? Or put another way: can the signal from a single transmitter communicate simultaneously (or with a bit of delay) with 10-20 receivers that have the same frequency?
I know that this devices work in 2.4 Ghz and that they are programmed to change the frequencies in the presence of other receivers. If I remember well the receivers' range is between 2,405 and 2,485. But is it possible to reprogram the Rx embedded in a microcontroller to reduce the range of frequency? I am really new in this field so sorry if my question is put in an awkward way, but sincerely I don't know how to put it differently. Tell me if there is an easier or more intelligent way to achieve this result.
I know that a few seconds after the take off, the quadcopters will be increasingly difficult to control and that eventually they will start crashing one into another, but this is that I want!
I just want to see them perform these basic actions "together" : go up, go left, go right, go down. It can last no more than 1 minute.
If you have any suggestions I would be very grateful!!!!
Thanks

I would say it's possible…IF your quads have reasonably good GPS settings. If each quad is placed a reasonable distance apart (say about 10 ft.). Then start them (without motors on) Make sure each has indicated a GPS "lock". That should, hopefully, when starting the motors and arising altogether, they should continue to "stay" in their respective GPS locations. Each quad moving left, right, up, down, by only the one radio, and continually adjusting its' personal GPS "space". Each remaining the original distance apart based on the original GPS position.
Good luck!
RikMac

dazzab

Have a look at Arducopter and Mission Planner. It's not well known but Arducopter has 'swarming' capability. I think there are people on DIYDrones that have actually done what you are attempting albeit only with a small number of copters. It probably wouldn't work with micro copters as the copters would have to be amp/pixhawk controlled.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
There was a co-worker that when I worked at ANOTHER website flew 3 rigs off of one transmitter. it worked fine.
It was 3 Naza rigs and the rigs were 450 size rigs. They were placed about 20 feet apart and all flew almost perfectly the same path (in GPS mode) and even landed without issue.

dtw

KC1UAV
Yeah, if you're wanting to do this "inside", there won't be a GPS signal. Flying indoors would allow less impact from wind, etc. However, it would be very hard to keep them in sync without a GPS. Outside, for larger rigs with identical hardware with GPS might be easier, but even with GPS they would "drift" a bit - 20 feet apart should be plenty.