Not what we need in the news

dazzab

something seems off with all these reports lately tbh.. ..starting with that verge article about the phantom flyer and then the 2 reports i heard today on nbc then this...prolly heard of 3 reports since forever most were special reports like amazon, etc. then in past couple days several reports -all negative
I bet that guy came home after his shift with a new 'toy', it went nuts in the house, damaged the roof and when his wife came out he said, 'look at what just came through the roof honey'.

So Noah410, what else should be "Mandatory"?
Navigation lights? Transponders? $5 million dollar insurance policy?
Be careful what you wish for when you start making things "Mandatory".

Old Man

Don't know if anyone has figured it out yet but there appears to be a concerted mass effort to publish about as many negative stories about "drones" as they can get out there as fast as can be done. Someone has a strong desire for the general public to despise small hovercraft. Similar applies to businesses and legal authorities being informed by unnamed sources as to what is legal and what is not, regardless of facts and accuracy. Handle the publicity right and the public will soon be clamoring for laws to assure that only licensed pilot's flying certificated aircraft will be permitted to engage in drone operations.

Last edited by a moderator:

I have developed a parachute rescue and recovery system. A year ago, I decided to put a FLIR thermal imaging camera on a quad for work doing energy audits. They are expensive, and I became obsessed with developing a parachute rescue system (as obsessed as I am about flying). I hired someone to write the software, I figured out how to shut down the motors electronically and automatically, and eject a parachute. In the past week, I have dropped a quad with this system over 100 times. The only time the cords got tangled in the motors, was when I did a flip. because the motors had already shut down, it still came down rather gracefully, and sustained no damage. During a period of rather strong winds, combined with an unexpected fly- away, the cords also got tangled slightly, and again, sustained no damage, and landed fine. I have videos of both times.
I have become an expert in crashing multirotors, having performed just about every conceivable method of causing a crash. The system works so that as the quad tips, the parachute puts the quad back upright. If it decides to fall perfectly horizontal, it also functions. I want to get this on the market before Christmas, likely next week. I do need to finalize the price, as it ended up being more expensive than I expected, with all the electronics and parts. It is for multirotors with cameras, it NOT for sport flying. By the time I am completely done, tomorrow, I will weight it. Its about the same weight as a small sized extra battery, I believe. The web site should be done in a couple days, any questions, fire away.

Av8Chuck

Sounds encouraging, but you should go and start your own thread about it. Most won't find your announcement in this thread.

Regarding the MR coming through the roof, the (rather attractive) news person actually said that it broke through the roof but they found the quad on top of the roof. My guess is that one of the arms went through the roof and broke off.

I don't think there's any sort of conspiracy to misreport the news about drones, a lot of reporters trying to make a name for themselves maybe, but I find a lot of the negative information comes from MR pilots in forums continually telling other pilots what is and isn't safe etc.. I think we're a lot harder on each other than is necessary.

dazzab

Don't know if anyone has figured it out yet but there appears to be a concerted mass effort to publish about as many negative stories about "drones" as they can get out there as fast as can be done. Someone has a strong desire for the general public to despise small hovercraft.
Interesting you would say that. I agree with you. Have a look at this article I ran across yesterday that cross checked the reports and found out what we all expected, that the reports are grossly over stated.

Old Man

I agree. I've been looking at placing two MARS 58 chutes on my SkyJib. But I really don't know how I would trigger them. It seems to me that the system to control the cutes in an emergency needs to be totally independent of all the normal flight systems. In that case you can't do it with the flight controller or through extra channels on your Tx. The missing ingredient is a separate control system and the ability to kill the power on the copter at the same time so the props aren't spinning.

A friend of mine told me that he has a kill switch on his DJI1000 that is separate and wired in to the power distribution board as a safety device. I'll have to catch up with him and see how he did that as wiring that up to the release for the MARS chute sounds like a great idea to me. BTW, I've been told that in France chutes are required and I have no doubt that other countries will follow.

Using one of the transmitter failsafe functions could work as an effective trigger. Loss of signal through loss of power to the motors could function as an auto trigger. Setting up the failsafe programming would be a bit interesting.

vispaaja

I agree. Parachute systems are EXTREMELY heavy and create a ton of drag. I use them only because of insurance and liability purposes. The one I'm planning on making will solve the drag issue, and also the weight concern too.

Parachute systems are not extremely heavy and don't create a ton of drag, whatever you mean by that. I'm building a new 85cm hexa with Skycat.pro parachute launcher and 4 square meter Opale parachute. The whole parachute system weights 400g (o,9 lbs) including the launcher, parachute and trigger. Flying weight will be around 8kg. I could use 6m2 parachute to achieve optimal descend speed, but even 4m2 will decrease the impact energy of the helicopter dramatically compared to free fall speed.. Doesn't require any explosives, gases etc. and parachute package shoots away from the airframe to avoid entanglement. Have tested it at low altitudes and it works even at 5-10 meters. My friend is using two 4m2 launchers on his 12kg Gryphon X8 and they already saved the heli once, when the FC decided to go crazy..

I personally think that parachutes are really needed for all multis, even the small ones, and it seems like people who are against parachutes have never seen anything fail (yet). I've been flying for 10 years and seen so many devices fail that it's just nice to have some extra security onboard :)

View attachment 22114
View attachment 22115

Attachments

• hexa_2000px-140812.jpg
    hexa_2000px-140812.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 226
  • skycat_2000px-2.jpg
    skycat_2000px-2.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 289