New Zealand "hover" in

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Sounds like fun.. If I jump on a plane now I may just make it for the prize giving! Hope the weather holds. I was up at 6 this morning expecting a beautiful day but instead its all cloudy.. ah back to bed!

matwelli

The Inaugral Multirotor "hover-in" in New Zealand.

20th March 2011 - Tokoroa Air Field, hosted by the SWMAC (South Waikato Model Aero Club) http://www.aardvark.co.nz/swmac/ and Bruce Simpson of RC Model Reviews Fame http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/ knowen as Xjet and RCMR on YouTube.

A total of 6 pilots descended on the field on Sunday, Wayne and Stu both from Tauranga, Keith from Auckland, Pete from Hamilton, Ivan from Cambridge, Me (Mathew) from Hawera, and not flying (yet – its in the-build) Neil from Tauranga as well. Tauranga seems to be the multirotor epi-center in New Zealand ! (as waynes wife also has a quad)

Great Day, not to much damage done (apart from Keith bending his nice Jakub frame, dihedral always helps and Ivan’s reciever coming loose and thumping the controller) and lots of Tuning, as two quads were tuned, plus we did a Minsoo Kim blue board install on Two Tricopters at the field and had them both flying in 5 minutes !

Wayne showed us some “sport flying” and Pete did a whole lot of Go=Pro video shooting ( I think he flew a total of 8 batteries for the day)

Out of the 7 quads/tri’s , at the end of the day, 1 had a FY90Q controller, and the other 6 had the Minsoo Kim Blue Board (KKuk derivative) all running xx_multicopter v1.5 software.

Photos from the Day

sdc10016.jpg

sdc10017.jpg

sdc10019.jpg

sdc10020.jpg

sdc10022.jpg

sdc10023.jpg

sdc10024.jpg

img_6516e.jpg

img_6525.jpg

We have another fly-in next weekend (26th/27th March 2011) at the Hawera-MAC http://haweramac.wordpress.com/ and we should get 5 pilots to that event (Wayne and Julie from Tauranga, Brendon and Mathew from Hawera and Brett from New Plymouth)

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
looking at that last pic i see you let some uni-rotors on the property to join in the fun?
you're off to a great start down there Mat. I'll have to give a KK board a try someday. I was going in that direction when the X650 came along and got my attention.
Nice pics!
Bart

Crash

Defies Psychics
Thanks for the video and pics. Looks like you guys had a good time.

Lots of KK boards in NZ. Minsoo has done a fine job with his version of the KK board. I'm thinking about buying one just to have. Then again, I wonder what the multiwii guys are up to. I haven't checked into the RCG thread in many moons.

DennyR

Looks like a fine collection you guys have down there. you guys still takin the rise out of the South Islanders or was that just a rumor or maybe the otherway round.

Crash. those Blue boards are excellent. I still dont know how they are so stable hands off without Acc.'s I have had 100% reliability with the three that I have had. One was DOA but Minsoo sent me a replacement straight away.

matwelli

@bart = it was a fixed wing event (I am a fixed wing pilot :) ) so they put up with us ! Tokoroa is a great place for RC flying, anything goes there, 850 meter sealed runway to use, its used alot by the RC Jet guys.

Heres a video here from a Tricopter, unfortunaetly has "Jelly wobbles" but still got some cool shots, at 2:12 you can see my ritewing Zephyr doing a vertical takeoff , then a flyby at 4:03 and 4:16 :)

I only spent 1 minute flying my quad all day, it was a meet abd great day for me, and also set up two tricopters "in the field" with the Minsoo Kim KKuk Blue Board

@Crash = yea i have sold maybe 15 minsoo kim boards this year - they make it easy to get into multirotors.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
@bart = it was a fixed wing event (I am a fixed wing pilot :) ) ..................

That gives me an idea for another thread. ;) (which also reminds me I have to work on getting us a real bank of smileys to choose from)

Crash

Defies Psychics
Arducopter Copter Mega, seems like I'm getting Dyslexic in my old age?

I was keeping my eye on them and the openpilot project also.

I still like the KK and multiwii boards because they are inexpensive and good for beaters. The multiwii may be even better because of the ability to auto level by means of the accelerometers.