New To RC, Need to fly a red epic over stadium crowd next week. Advice needed

maxwelltub

Hello,
I am completely new to this and thought this would be a good place to start. I recently bought a Red Epic to hopefully get into the video industry. It looks like an awesome camera and should be arriving at my apartment very soon. I just booked a job with it already next week!!! The client requires some aerial footage so I need to get a remote control helicopter set up right away to be ready in time. I need to make sure its extra secure as I will be flying over lots of people so crashing is not an option. If someone could tell me what model to get and how to set it up that would be great. Thanks in advance for your help.

janoots2

I would just hard mount it to a tricopter kit and use Dji props to make it simple. Get one of those little rc copters from the mall to get your flight skills down first though. You'll be all set within a week.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Hello,
I am completely new to this and thought this would be a good place to start. I recently bought a Red Epic to hopefully get into the video industry. It looks like an awesome camera and should be arriving at my apartment very soon. I just booked a job with it already next week!!! The client requires some aerial footage so I need to get a remote control helicopter set up right away to be ready in time. I need to make sure its extra secure as I will be flying over lots of people so crashing is not an option. If someone could tell me what model to get and how to set it up that would be great. Thanks in advance for your help.

If I were asked to come up with the absolute worst possible scenario for potential disaster this would be it. Best advice, get someone who has either a Skyjib or Cinestar that is already setup to fly a RED and has verified experience doing it. Also make sure you and they have insurance and it's up to date. On top of all that, probably best to hire a real heli and do it that way, if you don't already have a platform that can haul a RED and a lot of experience flying, trying to do it over a stadium full of people is a VERY BAD IDEA, DON'T DO IT.

Sorry, but it the truth...

Ken

tstrike

pendejo grande
Hello,

I can build you zee wred heavylifter and have it ready by thursday morning to give you time since you are fresh player. Please have the cash monie delivered to my garage no later than 5:00pm mst. It has never been a better time to make zee free monies then NOW!!

just kidding, I do not build copters to carry wred and it is a lot of work and takes lots of skill with a total dedication of your time and all your resources to work up to the professional level to have the where with all to fly a wred.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZAxis

Also remember that when you turn the copter in the air you can only do it 3 times one way or it will unscrew itself from the camera gimbal. make sure you turn it all the way back 'thatwise' (very important) before you take off or the RED might get confused about where it is!
glad we can all help i'm sure it will go fine.

janoots2

Yeah but make sure you get some extra AA's in case you need more juice. I only fly w Duracell to protect my investment.

tstrike

pendejo grande
A lot of the guys that do the stadium work have taken to tying a kite string to one of the landing gear (that's the things on the bottom) and if they get disoriented, they give the string a good yank. Then, easy peasy they just wind up the string and it brings'm right to where their copter landed in the crowd. hope that helps!

I'll sell you a used Blade Mqx that would get the job done. Cost is $30,000 if you're interested. It even comes with large batteries for 2 hour flight times.

maxwelltub

But Ken's reply was the most gratifying, Because I was indeed trying to think of the worst possible senario. All in good fun, safe flying.

janoots2

True. All this multicopter humor has me trying to come up with more...I think we should start a humor thread based off "your momma" jokes, but it will be "your multi". Here goes: Your multi is so dumb when you told it to go home it tried to fly back to China through the earth instead of going around it. Oh....wait a second...

Last edited by a moderator: