[New product] RCbenchmark thrust stand, manufacturer's thread

Jebarus

1520-front-with-small-motor1.jpg

I posted here a few months ago about our tool professional motor test tool dynamometer and, at $495, it was a bit too expensive for most enthusiasts. Well, we worked on something simpler and here it is: we are now shipping the RCbenchmark Series 1520. It measures overall efficiency, current, thrust, voltage, and motor speed. The device communicates with our open-source software, which displays and records data, and controls the motor manually or through a scripting system.

Whether you want to increase flight time for aerial photography, or performance for racing, the tool will help you obtain the data you need on your motors, propellers, ESCs, servos and batteries quickly and accurately.

Get it at $149 if you order before March 1st! Additionally, for a limited time, we will refund an additional $40 if you post a video review about our tool, which will lower the product’s price to only $109. Check the product page to see if the offer is still valid.

KsdsE5P.jpg

Here are the specs:
  • Voltage (0-35 V)
  • Current (40A continuous, 50A burst)
  • Power (0-1400W)
  • Thrust (±5 kg)
  • Motor speed (100k RPM**)
  • Overall efficiency (%)
  • USB interface
  • ESC manual control
  • Three servo control ports
  • Output data to CSV files
  • Real-time sensor plots
  • Automated tests and recording
  • Powerful scripting abilities
  • Safety cutoffs

We want to offer more than a test tool. You might also be interested in our ongoing tutorial series on motor theory. For more more information, check out our website or the Series 1520 product page. I will be available here to answer questions about our tools and motor and propeller testing.

Old Man

My company bought one of the dyno tools. It was unfortunate we didn't learn until after the fact it was so thrust limited.

Jebarus

Sorry about that. Was it still useful for your tests? Is it because you did not see the specs on the website or on the datasheet, or because the thrust was higher than expected? Is there any way we could make the specs more clear?

We also unlocked the thrust to 5kgf in the last update (load cell rating). It might help.

Jebarus

@Av8Chuck Both tools are limited to 5kgf due to the load cell. We had to choose a thrust range, as a load cell with a higher rating will have a lower precision in the low range. I think 5kgf is a good balance between supporting larger motors and micro motors for most multirotor, but there is always larger and smaller quads.

Old Man

Pat are you talking about the 1580? That isn't thrust limited is it?

Pretty much limited to smaller prop sizes. I blew by the limiting specs when I initially looked at it. Completely useless for everything I work with, which covers a broad size spectrum. If you plan on flying a 50lb quad this tool is not for you.

Av8Chuck

If this is something that can be addressed in firmware then I'd suggest you up the thrust to what would be required to fly an AUW of 55lbs since that's the legal limit here in the states.

If its less accurate at either end of the spectrum couldn't you develop firmware for the higher thrusts and allow the operator to choose which firmware they use. Most of our stuff is between 15 and 40 pounds. We were hoping for a tool that would help use improve our efficiency.

Old Man

It's the legal limit for most. It's not if you operate under a military level CoA. Both the hardware and software require considerable alteration for heavy stuff testing. It's fine for the small and average size designs but not for anything that carries serious weight.

Old Man

I made the mistake of not better reviewing the limitations. For most users the tool would be effective.

Understand that we work with both single propeller fixed wing and very large multirotors, both of which use propulsion systems and propellers that exceed the 5kgf limitation by considerable margins. Not your fault, it's mine. At least for now I have to stay with wind tunnel testing.