New Power Distro Board for High Power apps!

DKTek

View attachment 1225

This is real nice but what happens when any single component fails? Looks like you can't replace any of the individual controllers. This board cost about $1500 USD. Too bad they didn't stick with Holgers philosophy which allows replacement of individual controllers. This one has to be sent back for either a new one or to be rebuilt. That's a lot of expense and lost flight time. Maybe they'll get it right for V2.

But, to be fair...I ordered one for my SkyJib 8 anyway. I'll give it a try and report back when it's flying.

Hopefully this is ok to post but here's the listed specs.

[h=2]Details[/h]First measurements have indicated Values of up to 40A (without cooling at 20 degree ambient temperature) per controller for up to 30 seconds. Further stress tests with various cooling systems are underway. The board runs on the Mikrocopter BL-CTRL 2.0 CPU and therefore also carries the same feature set.Specifications
  • Temperature and current is transmitted through the telemetry interface (for HoTT and Jeti)
  • Various feedback channels to the MikroCopter (blocked Motors, power limitater, etc)
  • Double-stacked 4 layer high performance board
  • Interface for target values via I2C (molex socket) MikroKopter and PPM (e.g. Hoverfly)
  • Supply with 3S – 5S
  • Two connectors with HXT 6mm Gold Connector for operation with two LiPo batteries (or 4 in Parallel)
  • Current and Temperature limits configurable
  • Through high performance MOSFET’s (30 pcs per controller) 35A constant or 45A burst (up to 30 seconds) possible
  • The extension board includes LEDs that inform you about the status of each controller
  • Compatible layout to MikroKopter (Okto-Series) and Droidworx (AD-8, ADX-4 and SkyJib 8)
  • Soldering pads at the exterior of the distribution boards for easy soldering
Product Contents
  • 1x 8-fold high performance AEROdrive [SUP]8[/SUP] with heat sinks
  • 2x cable with HXT 6mm Gold Connectors already soldered
  • Short manual and Express-Warranty extension card
Details
  • For 5S operation the power supply to the MK Flight-Ctrl V2.1 must be made through the following DC/DC step-down: TSR1-2450 SIP3 (5V)
  • There is no further solder work required on the board
  • If the AEROdrive 8 is cooled better, its performance can increase
  • A Express-Warranty card can be purchased
  • Tested for high power motors and up to 40A peak load
  • Developed and assembled in Switzerland

Attachments

• distribution_board.jpg
    distribution_board.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 464

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
DKTEK,

may be check out the Herkules II. Four ESCs on one borad and i think an intelligent Cooling mount idea which also protect the Herklues boards.

Boris

http://shop.jet-1a.com/index.php?cPath=472_526&osCsid=715ac0ca1166d8219d120daf0fbbf576

WOW price of Herkules II went from 250 to 500. Good luck selling lots of those.
Imagine instead of two Herkules boards you almost get a DJI Wookong autopilot and 8x 40amp plush esc's. For the AEROdrive 8 you get all that plus a nice carbon frame.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
well the two solutions out there now for I2C and PPM which are capable or handling 40A motors plus, although Herkules II seems to offer more than the Swiss version, have found themselves in price. I guess the market approach is clear they are trying to approach the high quality HL setups and that got its price justified or not will be shown by their performance and the actually demand at that price.

DKTek

That is indeed a nice setup. I'm studying it now and like it more and more. Hmmm, the partner has the DW 8 HL that needs a speed controller. We've been discussing using bullets on the speed controllers to allow easy field repairs and upgrades. Modular is the way to go.

A loaner board would be a nice sale pitch if it happens to burn any single component!
Rethinking about it maybe its a must for that kind of dough!!

Macsgrafs

40A max....thats not what I all high power with the new motors people are using in the SJ8, CS8 range of octos...they are the pro ships (in my humble opinion) & thats the market they should be aiming at. My 2820/07 motors take 55A at max throttle, so looks like Im stuck with I2C-PWM timecop board until one of the big guns realises that they are a long way behind the times. As I said, it's just my opinion on the matter.

Ross

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Macgrafs check out the Herkules II board that might be an option for you !

60 A peak, and I2C

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
And they are not reassembled MK BL Ctrl components also runnning on the MK firmware, but new concept etc.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
ah okay was a misunderstanding thought you were interested in the Aerodrive but didn't want it because its peak being 40A, thus didn't think the price would shock you.

DkTek, did you install that AEROdrive board yet? Any impressions at this point?

Boris, would you please clarify the benefit of the freewheeling option?

nick

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
I acutally cant explain it better than he states it on the website:

* For extra powerfull motors or missing cooling posibility (e.g. mounting in a closed case) powerloss can be reduced by almost 70% by activating activer freewheeling.

I dont now if i am right on this but all I know is that i could power up my Octo with my regulated power supply and have all 8 spinning with a usage of 3 to 4 A. My Hexa running keep turnigy plush 40A wouldnt allow me to get the motors spinning on the power supply, since the draw was more than 5 amps.

I guess he found a clever way to reduce the overall power consumption resulting in less heat being produced and longer flight times. But probably depends on the prop motor setup. Smaller motors are not recommended to be used with freewheeling enabled.

DKTEK,

may be check out the Herkules II. Four ESCs on one borad and i think an intelligent Cooling mount idea which also protect the Herklues boards.

Boris

http://shop.jet-1a.com/index.php?cPath=472_526&osCsid=715ac0ca1166d8219d120daf0fbbf576

Hi Boris, I am thinking of ordering up 2 of them for an Octo build. I am tired of bad BL's and I2C errors, and I am hoping the hercules is the way to go. Will I need any additional molex cables or addapters to make this work with my Hexa stack, or do they come with everything needed? Do you happen to have 2 hercules boards for sale :) What bullet connectors should I put on my motor wires to fit into the hercules boards.

Thanks for your tips and help,

Patrick

Last edited by a moderator:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Patrick,

Herkules works with micromatch plugs check out http://www.andreasbaier.de/index.php/en/herkules-2/plug-connection. The actual connection to the MK FC i guess needs a molex. Cant remember which I2C option MK FC offers.

So you get a ribon cable with the Herkules and the micromatch plugs. Pretty simple to setup. Elkos are also provided.The only thing missing are the gold plugs not sure if thats the right word in english, biggest size fitting sre 3.5 mm.

Sorry i dont resell any euipment only extras if i have some which i dont need to the price i bought the stuff.

Boris

DKTek

Hey all, I received it last night. NO MANUAL! It seems well built and heavy, industrial like. I like it so far but now it's time to finish the build. A manual or PDF would be nice for that.

jetforce

FLY HIGH AND STAY HIGH
Hey all, I received it last night. NO MANUAL! It seems well built and heavy, industrial like. I like it so far but now it's time to finish the build. A manual or PDF would be nice for that.

Also got mine two days ago, I had the Swiss developer on the phone, There are no manual for the Aerodrive, it`s the same as MK BL-Ctrl in Okto distribution manual.

DKTek

Cool, thanks.

I do have a question about they way the power wires are installed. It looks like its wired for duel batteries but what if you want to fly it with a single 8000 pack?

Also, here's an observation...

After comparing the old red MK boards to the newer black boards it's obvious that, although the design may have been improved, the build quality has fallen off a cliff. The parts placement was machined on the red boards with quality solder baths and the boards are crisp and CLEAN whereas the black boards are mediocre at best. The solder is dulled and corroding, some parts placement looks to be by hand, and the boards are NOT CLEAN with plenty of residue.......just like the AeroDrive 8 boards. Overall the boards are OK but it's brand new and unmounted, it should not have corrosion build up on the solder. I'm really OK with hand placed and soldered parts but for the price of this controller, it should at least be cleaned and a little conformal coating applied.

Maybe looking at the boards under a magnifying glass is a bad idea.....or not, check for yourself. The red boards are proof that they once got it right and are capable of excellence in the QC department. I wonder if the board color changed because they changed vendors and black tends to hide the deficiencies.