New Member - FiveForm - Hi!

FiveForm

Just joined after this forum was recommended by the author Terry Kilby, in his book, "Make: Getting Started with Drones." (yes, I know that's not our term of preference).

Anyway, I got started with toy UAV's around two years ago, buying an excellent Syma x11, then X5C, plus a few nanos which I fly indoors and the grandchildren get a real kick out of!

Recently, I bought a Yuneec q500+ and after a couple of crashes and a 25 foot rescue from a tree, I'm much more savvy on the way mistakes come about. BTW, don't take off in "Smart Mode" if you're closer to the bird than the 20 foot safety radius because it's going to run away from you and into things while trying to establish that radius! Anyway, I've had a half dozen successful flights with great video with it, since those first couple of booboos, and the q500 sustained no damage, but I've picked up spare props and and gradually gaining expert status in re-mounting the camera module on the dampers, LOL!

As a former professional advertising photographer and digital shooter since 1990, I'm primarily in the UAV hobby for the aerial vids and stills that it makes possible. I absolutely am in love with the panning and POV videos that are possible from the current crop of prosumer UAV's. Currently, I'v an IT Security professional with a large Fortune 100 company. I enjoy playing with tech, configuring, reading manuals, and generally learning and getting the most out of the abundant amount of technology I currently have available.

I'll be receiving my second serious UAV next week from Carolina Dronz - an Autel X-Star Premium. I've been playing with the Android version of the app and can't believe the camera settings such as DNG and LOG, along with waypoint flying, orbit, follow me, etc.

Anyway, looking forward to learning alot here and hearing from some of you!