New Hex crashed in the lake

saneca

I probably should have done more reading here than I already have. Just firmly planted my DJI F550 (stock) iOSD Mark II, Zenmuse H3-2d, GoPro Hero 3 Black, custom build mount for gimbal... you get the picture, right in 12 feet of water right in front of my while using the fatsharks. Strange thing is that on a couple of flights the gopro will turn off by itself during flight. That is what happened right when the machine suddenly banks 90 degrees and falls straight to the water. This is a really sick feeling. Couldn't even get the goggles off fast enough to see it hit.
Hopefully this is a real "trust tree" :) and I can get some sarcastic comments of sympathy. I will be flying again!

Dried off the gopro and it works great. wish I had the crash on film, but the camera turned off right before it went down. I think that has something to do with it actually. I will run separate batteries for the FPV next time. I'll see if I can put the gimbal on that battery too. This should help with flight times too.

Anyway. Glad to join the forum. This is a realty fun hobby and I'm excited to learn more.

Shout out to all the other Canucks in here! I'm up near Edmonton, Alberta.

Check ya later.....

saneca

Didn't have the WiFi turned on,but there were two I phones and iPads in the area with Bluetooth connections to wireless speakers. Think there's any involvement?

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Not sure how it is with the gopro 3 but the gopro 2 turned itself off after some time if it didnt record. By turning off i mean the video out switched off. Happend to e several times while fpv an everthing blacked out. So it could be that you forgot to hit record or recording stopped for some reason !

Just make sure before you switch anything on of the equipment that was under the water to wait until everything it really dry ! Or if you have a heating possibility (oven) around 40 to 50 degrees, stick it in for several hours !

Boris

saneca

Thanks for the advice. So far everything seems to be working except for the esc's and motors. One smoked out. Guess I might be looking for some more reliable ones. Seems a lot of people don't trust the DJI ones anyway. Maybe this was a blessing in disguise?
The camera was recording when it turned off. I was recording the footage, not just using it for FPV. I am just grasping for anything that seemed out of the ordinary. I wish I could find a reason, so I could have something to blame. Never knowing leaves me a little doubtful about future flights. Guess ill just have to build up my confidence.

saneca

I'm back up and running. Everything seems to work fine. Had to get new motors and ESC's, as all the old ones seemed shot. So far so good. Anyone have any Idea what the best battery combo is for an F550 with gimbal and other gear? Currently testing the four 5000mAh Turnigy's that I have. They seem to get only 3.5- 4.5 minutes of flight time before first stage low voltage warning goes off. I get about 1-2 minutes more before it requires full throttle to not descend. I would really love to get some more predicable longer flight times. I want to confidently fly over water and I would like to be able to trust my batteries completely.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
There's water up there this time of year? It isn't frozen?

Welcome to the site!

We've discussed the built-in voltage protections and most of the guys don't use them, myself included. Especially with a single 4S pack, the voltage will drop and then recover when you slam the throttle, enough so to set off the voltage protections as I understand it.

Glad you got enough of it back to get going again.
Bart

saneca

I guess I was dreaming of summer still... Yes, definitely frozen here still. Do you just time your flights then? How do you monitor your voltage? FPV? I guess I could search some more, but 4S vs 3S... is there a huge difference?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
the lower voltage packs will sag more as they are drawn on at high power settings...i've got 6S packs that barely set off the low v alarms even as the packs are almost run out.

if you fly a set amount of time and then use the charger to monitor how much mah has been replaced in the pack you can see what your consumption rates are and then time the flight accordingly. a lot of us also use the inexpensive battery alarms available from places like Hobbyking...they plug into your battery's balance tap and will beep loudly when any cell voltage drops below 3.3 volts.

saneca

Thanks, looks like I've got some reading to do about 6S batteries. I would like more steady response over the full range of the power supply. I'm sure I can calibrate the timing of the flight times to avoid the Naza low voltage system. I have found it to be rather useless.

ROVguy

Flight time is closely tied to the lipo type and capacity/motor/prop combination and the overall take off weight of your UAV. I have the same as yourself, F550 with stock dji motors/esc's/10x3.8 props and h3-2d. I used 2x 330ah 3s for about 6mins flight here's a link to my test flight on fairly windy day. I'm considering using 2x 4500 3s a-spec lipos for 10 mins flight, if I can get hold of them as they are like rocking horse **** at the moment. My AUW is 2.4kg.
http://youtu.be/1qi4CXHaHdQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cootertwo

ROVguy, beautiful video. What is that area used for? Lots of green! And what caused the big mud spot in the middle? If you're using the go pro as your FPV camera, which setting do you use on the camera, (1080/60 wide?) Nice job

ROVguy

It's just a recreational area I think. Not sure about the brown patch, possibly caused by a bonfire one Guy Fawkes night. It was filmed in Penistone, South Yorkshire, UK on the edge of the Pennines. Contrary to popular belief South Yorkshire and Yorkshire in general is a very green county.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ROVguy

In this instance I filmed in 1080p @25fps and taking photos at the same time. The Go Pro is set to wide. I have a video switcher fitted and flick between my sony 600TVL WDR cam and the Go Pro.