New build...kit check

Flydigital

Like others I'm also a DJI Naza-2 user looking to try out a pixhawk setup. As I want to go bigger I think pixhawk is more cost effective for Octos and maybe more interesting to learn too.

I'm planning to buy in stages but wanted to check all this works..

1000mm Octo frame
8 x 380Kv motors
8 x 45A OPTO ESCs
Pixhawk

That's it for now. I'll then need to work out how power is fed to it all plus all the extras to make it fun.
Am I on the right path with this shopping list? Thanks for any input here.:02.47-tranquillity:

Wolfie

High Tech Hippie
Hi FlyDigital,
I too will be starting to build an octo in about a month, so I'd be very interested in following your progress. For mine I have selected:

RC Timer Q700 Trooper frame 700mm
8x RC Timer HVSK-40A Opto ESC's
8x RC Timer HP2814-710KV brushless motor
And of course the Pixhawk flight controller

TommyBear over on HeliFreak shared his setup with me so I'm going the tested and proven route as far as frame/motor/esc combination.
I haven't got a TX as yet, I sold all my RC stuff a couple of years back so I'm buying all new. I'm leaning towards the Spektrum DX8 or Futaba 8FG as there seems to the most support and documentation over on diydrones.com for those.

Eventually once I get it flying well I want to get a gimbal and just run a GoPro on it. I live on a beautiful island and want to take some pictures non professionally. I know photographers, but I'm not one of them. GoPro for me.

Wolfie

Flydigital

I was looking it getting Turnigy Multistar Motors and ESCs but actually I don't really know what to get. I'll have a look at those too out of interest. Also I just learnt about eCalc - an online calculation app that allows you to play around with different options to understand how they affect flight parameters. I'm learning how to use it to help with selection.
The GoPro will take fantastic video. Probably no need to go bigger unless you want stills.
Good luck with your build. I'll also be researching how the Pixhawk all comes together and how to power it. DJI stuff was all easy, plug and play but Pixhawk has a lot more variables depending on the set up. I'm sure I'll be back here trying to puzzle it out!

Teresa G

hello after my very first build,i learnt from the problems and mistakes i encountered. so this time i have chosen a more in-depth approach, i have decided to build a heavy lift,long range, FPV hexacopter with the following specification, i have already put together the frame, mounted the motors and the power distributor.

APM 2.6
RC Timer 5010-14 360KV Multicopter Brushless Motor X6
RC Timer 40A ESC X6
3DR telemetry radio
GPS module
and if all goes well will like to mount my infra red night vision camera.
2X 5s 8000mAh nano tech lipo battery (not sure of the best discharge rate yet)
and my favorite radio control the Taranis with all sound ready to goShift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.