New AIMDROIX aluminum arms for F450/550

Olemil

Yes they do like sweet, little pricey though for four arms. Wonder how they hold up in a crash? Figure you have a 50/50 shot, either they are too soft and will bend or they are really solid and not bend but maybe take out your center frames instead? I would be tempted to try a set since the DJI arms are so flimsy, especially on climb outs running 4s packs. Hopefully someone will give them a try and shoot us a report, thanks for the info!! P.S. I bet a strip of led's would glow nicely off of those bad boys!! Now I am looking at my esc/motor wires on my F450 to see if I can pick up the extra 50cm....LOL. :nevreness: Another thought, wonder how bad any motor/prop vibes would be amplified to the FC using aluminum arms?

Last edited by a moderator:

Installing the Aimdroix arms this weekend!

Yes they do like sweet, little pricey though for four arms. Wonder how they hold up in a crash? Figure you have a 50/50 shot, either they are too soft and will bend or they are really solid and not bend but maybe take out your center frames instead? I would be tempted to try a set since the DJI arms are so flimsy, especially on climb outs running 4s packs. Hopefully someone will give them a try and shoot us a report, thanks for the info!! P.S. I bet a strip of led's would glow nicely off of those bad boys!! Now I am looking at my esc/motor wires on my F450 to see if I can pick up the extra 50cm....LOL. :nevreness: Another thought, wonder how bad any motor/prop vibes would be amplified to the FC using aluminum arms?

Hey guys, I am new here, but I wanted to detail my upgrade to the aimdroix arms for the F550 Flamewheel. I just received my set today, and will be posting pics as I rebuild her over the weekend. Two things that I noticed that I wish I had known from the get-go.. 1- Buy an extra set of screws. The screws that were used to install the original arms and mount the two center plates can get stripped pretty easily, even without over torquing. I am going to attempt this build using my old set , but I wish I had ordered a new set. the bad screws that give me trouble will be replaced later, and I may have enough extra screws as the original kit came with a few extras. 2- be prepared to lengthen the power connections to the esc.... the new arms are around 50mm longer than the original arms, and there just isnt enough esc wiring to reach stock. I am going to kill 2 birds with one stone by installing a male dean connector to each piece on the power distribution plate, and a female on each esc as I have hundreds of deans connectors handy.

Besides these two things, it seems pretty straight forward. The arms are very sturdy, very cool to touch as they are Aluminum and they noticeably do dissipate heat. I bench tested one earlier, and the motor stayed pretty cool. Another thing, I originally wanted to replace one arm at a time, but this is not possible because I will need room to solder the deans connectors I spoke about earlier. It could be done, but might as well get all of the soldering done at one time instead of leaving an iron hot while you do everything individually to each arm. I will post pics here of the progress I make in the morning. Fell free to ask any questions, and I will do my best to answer them before you guys have to buy a set of your own.

Hope this helps, eventually!

Cheers

I intalled the arms, only I messed the bearings up in a few of the dji stock motors. This happened becaust of the screws that came with the DJI frame...i used them on the original arms and discarded the ones that came in the dji motor packs...dji frame screws have a recess piece that goes in to the aluminum to far and thus went too far in to the motors...i took this as an opportunity to upgrade motors...in the mean time, I placed my stock dji motors on just to show you how much room is created. here are a few pics..
I also had to extend the esc power connections because the new arms are longer than the original causing a gap between motor and esc. When you build yours, add 2 inches in the form of deans connectors...this way you kill 2 birds with one stone, making it easy to swap out esc's if needed.
View attachment 13735View attachment 13736View attachment 13737

Attachments

• 2013-09-24 15.19.50.jpg
    2013-09-24 15.19.50.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 568
  • 2013-09-24 15.20.08.jpg
    2013-09-24 15.20.08.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 743
  • 2013-09-24 15.20.34.jpg
    2013-09-24 15.20.34.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 517

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
I really like the idea of these and would like to put them on my new TBS Discovery build but really concerned that the strength is too high and in the event of an impact the frame will snap rather than the arm so for now I am am staying with the standard DJI arms.

There is also another different but similar replacement arm made with CF tube and a couple of molded mounts that looks good as well.

I will post a link to the other thread if I can find it.

Here tis, http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?12198-TBS-Discovery-Pro/page16

Pete

kloner

Aerial DP
were dropping these within a month

079_795.jpg

you can trim the cf tube to any length, there extendable up to 15" props, can bolt any size motor to em, and they got optional vibe iso in case you want to keep your naza driven rig out of fly away with the bigger motors. They'll handle 1000 watts an arm and are super light.... similar pricing with the vibe iso hardware...

040_795.jpg

kloner

Aerial DP
we have a second product called a stomp pad in production. it is slotted for esc and wire that goes on the bottom of a disco with a peel and stick closed cell foam. wires down the tube to the escs on the bottom of the frame

Maymidroix

Attachments

• 1234127_930071153456_2028172219_n.jpg
    1234127_930071153456_2028172219_n.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 618
  • 1383578_10200664435679897_827713433_n.jpg
    1383578_10200664435679897_827713433_n.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 509
  • HEXA1.jpg
    HEXA1.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 543
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1380300596.496508.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1380300596.496508.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 578
  • black arms comparison.jpg
    black arms comparison.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 435
  • f450quad 2.jpg
    f450quad 2.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 464

Crasher

...Wonder how they hold
up in a crash? Figure you have a 50/50 shot, either they are too soft and will
bend or they are really solid and not bend but maybe take out your center frames
instead? ...

I put a set on my F550 last week. My first flight
ended up as a serious crash test which proved that failing to double check motor
directions, prop directions, etc. is no a prudent plan. On takeoff it started
spinning wildly, went up about 30' right over a wood pile and then fell like a
rock. In retrospect I was amazed that the Naza flight control could do that with
the number of motor/prop issues I set it up with!

The arms held up well
but I did lose the bottom frame plate. It broke at the mounting point of one of
the arms. That said, I have also broken an upper plate in a crash when the 550
had the DJI plastic arms.

Since that initial crash I've had many other,
less spectacular ones with the only parts being broken being the white plastic
DJI landing gear. BTW, I also wounded my upper frame with a crash when using the
DJI plastic arms so plate breakages is not limited to only those flying with the
aluminum arms.

Bottom line is that if you crash you're going to be buying
new parts. Increase the strength of the arms and something else is going to
give. IMO though, it's not a significant problem unless your crashes are
spectacular.

UPDATE!: I just found out that you can crash
hard enough to break both upper and lower plates AND put a slight bend in the
distal part of an arm. A little adjustment with a rubber mallet seems to have
put it back into alignment.

Ok, here is my review of the new arms.* Scale of 1 to 5

Durability 5 – It’s aluminum. And these guys are way more stiff than the originals. You are going to bust your props and center plates before you permanently damage one of the arms.

Cooling 5-* This is one of my favorite parts…I wanted the extended arms mainly to use larger motors. I bought Suny Sky 24-16 800kv motors, and used 12x 4.5 apc Multirotor props ( the new apc props designed for us) The lift will inevitably be awesome but I wanted to make sure that these bad boys would stay cool with a heavy load. I am flying with about 8lbs of gear, and I have both flown for longer flight times, and shorter times* neither of which ever made the motors or arms feel even slightly cooler. The arms definitely wick the heat away…Changed out the batts 3 times, flew for 20 minutes with only enough down time to change batts and never got hot.

Weight 4 – The weight increase is not significant, esepecially if you use these guys towards their main benefit, larger motors and props. I am flying wit 2 4amp 4s batts. They are heavier than other solutions, but the weight is completely offset by the benefits.

Mountability 4- Here is where I had my only issues. This is where one must be careful, but not because of anything on Aimdroix’s end…..There are effectively 2 sets of screws that you can use to mount the stock DJI motors to the stock arms when you buy the f550 kit. The motor screws in the motor packs, and the frame screws which are the same size. For the stock arms, the frame screws are fine and work great because they are longer, and have a recessed piece. But for the aimdroix arms, that recessed piece will wedge its way in to the aluminum very easily causing the screws to be over torqued. Aimdroix’s simple answer to this should be “only use motor mounting screws- do not use screws with the threading missing near the hex end” I used the motor screws when I installed the new motors and they were perfect.* I can take pics on this to clarify later.

Quality 6!- The quality is amazing. You guys should tout this all day. You can look and feel that this upgraded is more professional and better suited for more professional aspects/more dynamic uses of the hobby like AP or FPV. If anyone sees this big bird now, they say, man, how many thousands did it cost you? That’s because it really is that nice.

Handling 4- I give it a 4 because there is no gain settings relevant to the new setup (yet)….I have been playing with tuning the gains, and I have found that I need to make sure I have remote control of the gains so that I can adjust for different conditions. While this is generally true even on the stock setup, users will find that they are adjusting gains slightly more as a result of the longer arms. I suspect better prop/motor combos will solve most of this, but the usual troubleshooting of the gains gets more complicated as the arms are longer. When she is set for her conditions, she is as smooth as can be. Even with a heavy load and moving around.

What would I add?? Nothing. These things are obviously engineered well, and given the due diligence of a professional product.* I am stoked that I made this upgrade. Make sure the users are aware that they will need to extend the length of the esc’s because the longer arms make the esc stop just short of the motors. A best practice of using deans or some other type of power connectors to connect the ESC’s to the main board would answer this nicely, and give the users an easier way to upgrade later without having to unsolder ESC’s.

Thanks for making an awesome product guys. It is a lot of fun to fly a big bird that is both smooth and agile when need be.