Nervous Quiver with new Quad

Rgolfer

Gearing Up to Fly
My grandson and I have built a new quad that has a puzzling (for us) problem. While hovering, the quad quivers slightly (kinda like a cold kid). Otherwise it flies and handles great. The quiver doesn't seem to affect it's performance in any way but certainly doesn't seem appropriate and looks wrong.

Build Details are as follows:

Quad is a Flite Test Knuckle Quad ( http://store.flitetest.com/knuckle-h-quad-370-kit )
DJI E-300 motors, ESCs, etc
DJI Naza Lite FC with GPS
Props DJI 8" prop set
Spektrum DX6i TX and Spektrum AR610 RX
3S 2200 LiPo
Weight with battery 936 g
Basic Gain 140 140 100 110
Attitude Gain 140 140 (both the DJI recommended defaults but probably assuming a different quad size and weight)

My first thought was to balance the props but that didn't help. I have fiddled with the gains a bit, but have to connect to the Naza Lite Assistant each adjustment and that is a bit of a pain so I thought I would prevail upon the body of knowledge here to see if I can save some time.

It has also occurred to me that I may have too much power with the E-300 motors for this light quad and/or I may have the FC mounted too rigidly - would either of these cause this issue?

Thanks in advance for comments

SJBrit

It sounds like your pitch and yaw basic gains might be too high. Can you connect the gains via the Naza Assistant to a knob or slider in the Spektrum? Sorry, I'm not familiar with that radio. The NAza Assistant allows you to assign the gains to either X1 or X2 and if you can get that assigned to a rotary or linear control on the Tx then you can adjust the gains in flight. A quick check would be to significantly reduce the gains - say by half, then fly it and see if the twitching goes away. That will at least tell you that you are on the right track.

cootertwo

I also think the gains might be the problem. On a few of my quads, if I go too high on gains, I'll get the "nervous quiver" on hovering. Back off, and all is well.

Rgolfer

Gearing Up to Fly
Cootertwo, SJBrit - thanks

your diagnosis was right on. Lowered pitch and yaw and no more quiver. Next time I'll know that .

SJBrit

Cootertwo, SJBrit - thanks

your diagnosis was right on. Lowered pitch and yaw and no more quiver. Next time I'll know that .

Excellent - glad to be able to help. Ideally your gains should be set as high as possible without inducing quiver, so that means cranking them up till it starts to quiver then backing them off a bit till it stops and calling it done.