Need suggestions on most suitable platform

Akoni

An opportunity has suddenly arisen for our obtaining an sUAS for some work we have this summer. Very roughly, I need a readily available platform that can launch/recover from the deck of a ship with a 3-axis gimbal for at least a NEX-7 or better type camera. Would like to have a realistic 12 to 15 minute flight time (more would obviously be better). The objectives are to obtain high-res photos and/or high def video of whales at the surface. Operated by a pilot and camera operator. It would have to be something that could be bought readily obtained within the next month, a pair actually. Budget of around 20k for 2 airframes, gimbals, batteries and radio system.

Apologies for this being so lacking in detail but I need to submit this very soon.

Thanks in advance!

Tony

tombrown1

Do you have any flying experience?

Buy a couple of S800 EVOs with Zenmuse for GH3. Get big lipos. Retracts. Jeti has the best radios.

You have a lot of work to do in a month - especially if you don't have flying experience. Don't forget these things are very easy to fly into the ocean if you don't do all of your homework.

Good luck,

TB

Akoni

Yes, I have flying experience and have several multi's of my own. However, I will not be piloting on this project as I will be off ship and on a rhib performing other tasks. My agency has trained UAS pilots that will come with us aboard ship to handle the actual flying as directed.

I had considered the 800 Evo but did not find many instances of people claiming more than 10 minute flights and that is too short for comfort. Since I was under the gun to submit this proposal immediately, I selected the S1000 as a cost surrogate though it is obviously not named in the proposal. The airframe proposal would be bid out anyway so it may be a completely different airframe however it would need to be readily available and in my hands by mid May at the latest. I'm sure there are many custom builds that would offer similar performance. I am going to put together a request for bids with the performance specs I'd like to see and send around to dealers to be ready in case the funding comes through.

What dealers should I be checking out?