NAZA-M Lite Won't Connect To Assistant

gringers

Preoccupied
Beware, this is a half cocked response from me but I just had a quick look at the screenshots in post 8 and the comparison file PDF and given everything else you've said you've done, I suspect your problems could lie in using "-AIL/ELE/THR/RUD" rather than "AIL/ELE/THR/RUD". I believe the makes it a conditioned input and as it doesn't appear as though your comparison pdf includes all the settings that could be affecting your inputs, it's hard to determine what conditions you're applying to the stick movements. The comparison PDF appears to be using conditioned inputs on both models.

Have you tried setting up a totally and completely fresh model using the instructions above rather than trying to modify someone else's file? Start fresh using only the values you need for a basic setup instead of inheriting other peoples mods.

I see other glaring differences in the setup you're trying to use to what I would use and find to be tried and tested. For example your tx failsafe is different.

Start again with a totally clean model (or try one final time if you've already started using a 'blank canvas'), follow the instructions above that TahoeTim posted from the other thread and keep checking in the assistant as you go through that everything is working as expected. Double check your stick movements result in the assistant showing travel of 1000 to -1000 on the corresponding channels and report back!

RunnerDuck

Beware, this is a half cocked response from me but I just had a quick look at the screenshots in post 8 and the comparison file PDF and given everything else you've said you've done, I suspect your problems could lie in using "-AIL/ELE/THR/RUD" rather than "AIL/ELE/THR/RUD". I believe the makes it a conditioned input and as it doesn't appear as though your comparison pdf includes all the settings that could be affecting your inputs, it's hard to determine what conditions you're applying to the stick movements. The comparison PDF appears to be using conditioned inputs on both models.

Have you tried setting up a totally and completely fresh model using the instructions above rather than trying to modify someone else's file? Start fresh using only the values you need for a basic setup instead of inheriting other peoples mods.

I see other glaring differences in the setup you're trying to use to what I would use and find to be tried and tested. For example your tx failsafe is different.

Start again with a totally clean model (or try one final time if you've already started using a 'blank canvas'), follow the instructions above that TahoeTim posted from the other thread and keep checking in the assistant as you go through that everything is working as expected. Double check your stick movements result in the assistant showing travel of 1000 to -1000 on the corresponding channels and report back!

Now I'm really frustrated. I created a new model and followed the above set up to the letter. When I got to the part about "Assistant" and did what they said except now for some reason the Assistant won't recognize my sticks. It does recognize sliders but not the sticks. I also get a CFG-ERR message.

I've recalibrated the sticks on my Tx several times and nothing. I even went back and loaded some of my earlier versions even the DJI 450 one I had but I still get the GFG-ERR message and no stick movement.

I unplugged and replugged every connection on my quad to no avail. I checked the battery and it's fully charged. Something really fishy going on here.

I also noticed that when I plug in my quad and don't plug in the USB I get a steady flashing light.

I wish I could have commented on your reply but I can't until I can talk to Assistant!

Thank you for the reply though.

RunnerDuck

You have to know that I'm more frustrated than you but I'm not giving up.

I do appreciate all your help!

Ken

While it would appear that I'm back to step one, I was able to resolve it by loading the correct Assistant program for my NAZA-M Lite. At least that should not be the problem this time.

RunnerDuck

Hey Tahoe Tim, and everyone else that have helped, I'm back!

I've made great progress since the last time I posted. I have followed the Taranis programming instructions you provided to the letter, thank you very much!

I have calibrated the sticks and sliders on both the Tx and Assistant. I've calibrated the GPS/Compass and everything appears to be working.

Sadly I still cannot Arm my NAZA-M Lite. When I power up my Tx and quad I get the right combination of LED's and then three flashing RED that repeats. I move my sticks down and into the corners but nothing happens.

I did notice on my Tx that on the Channel Monitor for Channel 3 the throttle was only going down to -99 and not -100. I recalibrated the Tx and Assistant and it now reads -100 but still won't Arm.

When I switch my "Manual/ATTI/GPS switch I get different indications from my LED's. They are as follows.

Manual - 3 Red that repeat

ATTI - One Yellow and 3 Red that repeat

GPS - One Green and 3 Red that repeat.

I'm doing this indoors so I assume that the 3 Red's indicate the lack of satellites.

I believe I have everything perfect except the ability to "ARM"!

I really hope someone out there will help me over this final step.

RunnerDuck

A little more information I found.

This guy wrote: "This is a specific and detailed fix for non-arming problem using Turnigy 9XR and Naza M lite.

I'm using a Turnigy 9XR TX / NAZA M lite and was having the same problem: motors would not arm. (MC not arming ESC). The ESC/motors were individually calibrated prior to installation and worked OK when just plugged into an RX. I might mention that I use FrSKY D8R-XP in conventional mode. PWM”s not worth the hassle in this installation cause cables are only 4” long.

So, In the NAZA assistant, all the led sequences for various control states were correct according to the NAZA M lite user manual ( pp 43), but I could not get the motors to run. It turned out to be that the low setting on throttle wasn't low enough.

Using the 9XR TX throttle channel's external manual lever, I set trim to the lowest possible setting as viewed on the 9XR's display. I then went back into the model setup menu on the 9XR , - menu 6/11 for LIMITS - and set channel 3 (throttle) center value to -65.7 (minus sixty-five point seven) with endpoints set to -100 and +100.

The NAZA assistant channel monitor (“View” menu selected) shows all sticks A, E, T, and R centered and throttle channel indicates -1000 to +997 travel, just as it should be when moved to extremes. It is probably wise to check travel for all channels as I found out that the 9XR’s won’t all to + / - 1000, (for instance, the throttle low was read 821 and wouldn’t adjust lower. (unless I wanted to get into the TX and rotate the pot, but that’s another problem isn’t it?)

Anyway, I’ve not got the motors to spool up and will proceed……."

I think I understand the concept but don't know how to do it.

First off I'm using a Taranis X9D Plus Transmitter so I'm sure there are some differences.

He says; "Using the 9XR TX throttle channel's external manual lever, I set trim to the lowest possible setting as viewed on the 9XR's display."

What do you think he is calling "external manual lever" the "Digital Trim"?

Where would you viewing this setting on a Taranis?

He says; "menu 6/11 for LIMITS" in the "Model Setup Menu".

On my Taranis X9D Plus I don't find any "LIMITS" menu.

I believe if these questions can be answered I may be flying soon.

TahoeTim

what arm mode did you try? there are four arm methods

did you turn on transmitter before quad?

power down and power back up after you make stick changes

read thru the Naza wiki, you will find something

TahoeTim

fyi I just built a fpv racer with the Naze32 board. I copied my Naza setup for kicks and it worked perfectly!

RunnerDuck

what arm mode did you try? there are four arm methods

did you turn on transmitter before quad?

power down and power back up after you make stick changes

read thru the Naza wiki, you will find something

I have tried all four arm methods over and over and over!

Yes I always turn on my transmitter first, I'm old school where that use to be really important and as far as I'm concerned still is.

I have powered down and back up a thousand times over the past three weeks after any and all adjustments.

I have read through all the NAZA documentation numerous times look for any clue to my problem.

I really think that if someone could answer my question above regarding the travel limits on my Taranis Tx it might help.

TahoeTim

Watch the setup video we discussed earlier. I don't think the throttle is the issue since it seems to be going low enough. You can adjust the transmitter settings "live" while plugged into the assistant. Since you know what the arming logic is looking for, you should be able to watch the values in assistant when you move your sticks to the arming positions.

I still think one of your sticks is backwards. Prove me wrong by going low left stick and up right stick to arm. Try the opposite combinations that are possible.

RunnerDuck

Watch the setup video we discussed earlier. I don't think the throttle is the issue since it seems to be going low enough. You can adjust the transmitter settings "live" while plugged into the assistant. Since you know what the arming logic is looking for, you should be able to watch the values in assistant when you move your sticks to the arming positions.

I still think one of your sticks is backwards. Prove me wrong by going low left stick and up right stick to arm. Try the opposite combinations that are possible.

Tahoe Tim, you da man!!! I really thought you had given up on me but in the eleventh inning you come back with a home run :)

I had to reverse the Elevator on Channel 2 in the transmitter to make it work but I can now arm and soon FLY!

I may have to change something in the NAZA MC once I get some props on it but by golly I can now move forward. I still have my gimbal and FPV to get working but at least I can start working on them.

Thanks again,

KennyB

TahoeTim

finally!

i thought i mentioned earlier that i had to reverse my elevator but at least you got it.

btw - i set voice commands to my flight mode switches and set bat,rssi feedback on my sh switch