Naza Lite Flyaway converted to Hard Landing w Video

SMP

New DiscoPro build - Naza Lite on PPM/Sbus cabling - EzUhf on fw 1.43 - 5.8 600mwIRC off the Disco side pads ala step down board

While flying in GPS copter will suddenly level as though RC control is lost. Sticks are non-responsive. Switching to Atti/Gps and back and forth etc, has no effect. During the first event we were able to see rapid RED flashing LED. Similar speed as the Failsafe yellow but red. Copter seemed to regain stick control then immediately drop out again. At this point Cris was trying to regain full time stick control so dont know if it was in Atti or GPS when it decided to flyaway. You can see it accelerate slightly and head toward us nose in. At this point no stick control and needs a switch to manual to stop the flyaway. Guessing the throttle is pretty low as you can hear the esc's twitch, then drop out (likely throttle position) and the heli drops altitude quickly. Managing to get the heli flared and set it down in what looked like a pretty hard landing but actually wasn't bad considering.

So first couple seconds is the drop out, then the heli is non responsive - flight mode changes are non responsive with occasional twitches of stick, then no stick, during all of which the gimbal twitches and the esc's twitch a couple of times, then flyaway, then manual flick and esc twitch/flare/crash :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pifRLg4BQVo&feature=youtu.be

*Video is from the first time it occurred. This was roughly 10-12 Batteries from Maiden. So this is new build.

*Have had the same problem even after moving the GPS/RX distance. The 5.8 tx is off the little Disco Holder so sticking straight up. The GPS was on a long mast, then a shorter mast and next test flight will have the puck hard mounted to the top plate. Don't "think" its a separation issue but keep moving the two farther from each other. (Note using 5.8 while waiting for 2.4 TX order to arrive) Have re-calibrated GPS (Naza Dance) at cow pie distances.

*Have had this happen now on three flights. Twice at one location and once at another. So its a copter issue not a location interference issue.

*Once it happens ONLY manual will give you sticks back.

GPS Dropout w Bad drop into Atti? Bad GPS Puck?? PPM Stream dropping out or not playing nice with Naza?? Bizarre ESC twitching through Core causing gimbal twitches and Naza conflict??????

Will drop puck to plate (naza dancing along the way), then reload/rebind ezuhf fw 1.43, then downgrade to ezuhf 1.41, then throw the puck away, then throw the naza lite away. Pretty sure I will have crashed at this point so not worried about further troubleshooting ;)

Any ideas help very very much appreciated~!!~

Last edited by a moderator:

Tomstoy2

Ahhh, man. Just a thought here. I remember another thread somewhere,,,,
the guy opened up his Naza and found a bad solder joint on a connector pin.

SMP

Update 02-20-14
Have now moved the GPS Puck down several times and problem keeps appearing. Puck is now copper backed and mounted to top plate. I've now moved the GPS puck back progressively with far greater separation (and farther than my previous pro as well). Have confirmed GPS Calibration Dance in the middle of fields. Took it out to calibrate, flashing green - good calibration = Battery 1 - 10 minutes no event. Battery 2 - Two events... HOWEVER.

Now that I'm expecting it to happen I can positively determine that the following occurs.

In the first event Cris told me that she was in Gopro view and the camera started switching back and forth between GP/FPV/GP/FPV and then she lost sticks. I discounted this as I couldn't be sure she remembered accurately. On this last flight while Hovering in GPS mode in GO PRO view taking pictures on a 2 second interval the camera switcher DEFINITELY goes back and forth. I dont know if this happens only in GP view. I cant recall the toggling on its own when this starts happening if in FPV view. Whatever is happening definitely affects the camera switcher.

Switching to Manual DOESNT give you immediate sticks back. It gives intermittent, jerky and scary as hell sticks. At this point a switch to Atti gives you same and quick switched back to Manual doing rodeo flying waiting until it gives you full sticks back in manual.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]My only choice at this point is to reload Ezuhf FW and then start replacing stuff. The fact that it affects the camera however seems to be the place to trace. ESCs run through the camera at all??? EZuhf PPM Stream???[/FONT]

Rapid red flash with loss of control, would be invalid rx input, imho. I have seen this with lemon rx's on the spektrum side of things. Do you have another rx to test?

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
How are you powering the 600mw VTX? are you running via the core or direct to power?

The reason I mention this is I am currently building the same setup but with Naza M v1. Within the user manual for the Disco Pro it does state that 600Mw VTX run via the core could overheat the core and cause a reboot. Your GoPro among other items run via the core including some of your controls I believe.... Just a thought. If you are powering your VTX via the core, move it to a 12Volt pad close by.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Rapid red flash with loss of control, would be invalid rx input, imho. I have seen this with lemon rx's on the spektrum side of things. Do you have another rx to test?

the only problem is, he's using an EZUHF receiver and the Lemon's are 2.4ghz....

@SMP, do you have a regular 2.4ghz Tx/Rx you can use instead of the EZUHF to see if it's a FC problem or an RC problem?

Bart

Correct the two rx uses different bands. The problem I believe is the ppm output that could be wonky. He needs to test with another rx so we can eliminate it as the problem.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Bart

Correct the two rx uses different bands. The problem I believe is the ppm output that could be wonky. He needs to test with another rx so we can eliminate it as the problem.

He can also try using the individual channel outputs of the EZUHF instead of the PPM stream since all PPM streams are not created equal as I understand it

He can also try using the individual channel outputs of the EZUHF instead of the PPM stream since all PPM streams are not created equal as I understand it

Correct, I have even seen some rx running in ppm only be able output a certain numbers of channels at once or the wig out. I was thinking to check fail safe for that rx as well. I know with some frisky rx with Futaba you have to disable fail safe in the radio and only enable it on the rx side or you will get glitches.