Naza is a brick

Bison52

Recovered from a moderate crash. Main damage was destroyed the VU/BEC again. Got a new one, hooked everything back up and I've got a total brick. The ESC's beep continually, which I believe means they are getting no signal from the FC. The LEDs on the BEC show nothing, no lights at all. Hook it up to computer and doesn't see FC at all.

Replugged and checked everything. Checked voltage on the three prong plug from the BEC. The red (middle) and brown wires show 5v.

At a loss. Took the cover off the Naza as a last resort but couldn't see anything wrong. Tried to make sure everything was firmly seated.

Emailed DJI support and got email back just asking where I bought Naza. Called where I purchased and they tried to be helpful but short of boxing the entire copter up and sending it in, they didn't know what else it could be. Guy I spoke too said he really doubted the Naza was trashed. He'd seen copters that looked like they got run over by a truck but the Naza was okay.

Any ideas?

Mike

mailman35

ive had plenty of crashes so far and have yet to have a problem, crashed from ~80ft up and after a rebuild everything works like a champ.

Bison52

It wasn't that bad of a crash. Checked battery and connections and voltages good. Checked continuity at power distribution points and all good, no shorts. Checked + and - on plug from BEC that plugs into Naza and it's providing 5v so I can't think of anything else. Just in case, I've got another BEC ordered but it's on back order.

I was at a local park and everything was going well. Went straight up about 30 feet and was doing a 360 yaw. About halfway round and it took off with the wind. Tried to catch it but didn't seem to respond and then when I saw it was getting totally away, hit fail safe but no response.

Odd thing was I was pretty sure I had the GoPro recording and it was undamaged but there was no video of that part of the flight. Just stopped recording before I reached the part of the flight where I raised up to the 30 foot level.

Hoping I'll hear back from DJI with some options.

DennyR

Sounds like your battery was low. Red light comes on if you try to climb. DJI will start to loose stability when this happens.

Bison52

I was kind of leery of the battery after the crash. It was kind of skinned but not puffed. I monitored it closely when I put it in the charger and Im pretty sure it wasn't into a low voltage state when I started charging it.

That is a good point though. My flights have tended to be short training/practice type flying and I usually just keep track of the battery voltage with the telemetry.