Nasa Flame Wheel Surprise!

sj257

After a Royal Mail failure I finally got my Nasa Flame wheel combo today. This is my first multi rotor which I hope to mount a go pro on.

I managed to make a start on it after work before diner and got it finished after diner with the light strip fitted.

I managed to get my first tesy flight out in the garden with the lights on just after 9.

After a brief period of head scratching at motors not arming all went smoothly.

Not wanting to gloat too much (although I am chuffed that I got it in the air so fast) but it does go to show that it doesn't have to be a big up hill struggle.

I'd like to say thank you to some of the regular contributors here. I read quite a number of the threads and the knowledge contained here was a huge help in moving from parcel to flying quad in about three and a half hours.

Now the long haul of fine tuning gains.

Thanks guys.

sj

Kilby

That's a great compliment to that kit. First time build together and flying in a matter of hours. Good job DJI. ;-)

Thanks for sharing that!

-Terry

Glendram

Glendram
Well done !!! I have not received my kit yet so i have all that to do yet. Have you used all the stock gear that came with the kit or did you change anything ? There seems to be a selection of battery sizes that you can use too, i have ordered 2200mah 3s 35c but have read that if you are adding weight like your GoPro you can use larger capacity batteries ? ie 5000mah 4s x ?
It is encouraging to hear that you built it so quickly and able to fly without problems,,,,, good stuff !!

Glen

PS I came across this mount for the GoPro ,,,, www.facebook.com/X468HD ,,, i have ordered the new mount they designed for the Flamewheel and GoPro,,, looks good.

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
that's awesome. Somehow you'll want to balance the props in your kit. kinda tough cause the hub shape, but that's what makes the difference...... especially with a camera on there but even without, the thing smooths out so nice. if you can afford it, get a set of graupners, there in stock now. v-eastonline

sj257

That's a great compliment to that kit. First time build together and flying in a matter of hours. Good job DJI. ;-)

Thanks for sharing that!

-Terry

Indeed a compliment to the kit. Everything went together well as intended with no fettling required.

Result!

sj

sj257

Well done !!! I have not received my kit yet so i have all that to do yet. Have you used all the stock gear that came with the kit or did you change anything ? There seems to be a selection of battery sizes that you can use too, i have ordered 2200mah 3s 35c but have read that if you are adding weight like your GoPro you can use larger capacity batteries ? ie 5000mah 4s x ?
It is encouraging to hear that you built it so quickly and able to fly without problems,,,,, good stuff !!

Glen

PS I came across this mount for the GoPro ,,,, www.facebook.com/X468HD ,,, i have ordered the new mount they designed for the Flamewheel and GoPro,,, looks good.

I used all standard kit from the combo. I've used a spektrum 8ch rx with a satelite rx and the telemetry module to monitor battery voltage and quad temperature just for the hell of it. I just about squeezed all that between the two frames. That gives me the options of top mounting the battery as I did last night for the test flight, or rear mounting the battery to balance a camera on the front. I have fitted the 10 inch props for now so I'm running on 3s. I have a spare set of props in 10 inch so seem wise to risk them for first flights. I also have a set of 8" if I want to use my 4s 2600 packs. I'm also contemplating making up a parallel lead so I could run a pair of my 2200 3s to give me some extended duration.

I'm looking at a bunch of mounts and would like to get the Go Pro under the props. So I'm currently contemplating making an extended undercarrage and mount as I'm spent out for a bit now so cant splash out on a new mount just yet.

Anyone about to build one. My advice for what it's worth. Get reading in here. A wealth of info that meant that a lot of the build and set up made a lot more sense to me than it might have done.

sj

sj257

that's awesome. Somehow you'll want to balance the props in your kit. kinda tough cause the hub shape, but that's what makes the difference...... especially with a camera on there but even without, the thing smooths out so nice. if you can afford it, get a set of graupners, there in stock now. v-eastonline

Thanks Kloner.

Seemed reasonably smooth as best I could tell in the dark, but would like to balance the props some time soon. I'm watching the stocks of graupners at a uk stockist as I have read they're the way to go.

A particular thanks to you and Mailman for your posts in a range of threads. Those threads really help me have a better understanding of what I was doing and without the comments from you guys I very much doubt I would have got it in the air so smoothly.

Thanks guys.

sj

sj257

welcome to the club its an expensive one but alot of fun :p

and get spare parts you will need them at some point :p

Thanks Mailman for a range of your posts that have helped ahead of the build.

Any particular spares you would advise? I have a spare set of props for now. I anticipate mainly flying my Trex 600 efl Pro for the most part and really looking to work this as a video/stills platform.

That said I would like to get some rolls and loops out of it at the field if it will do them. Seems easy with the Gaui on Phoenix sim.

sj

mailman35

for me, i picked up several spare pairs of props 8's and 10's spare batteries, i have 2 2650's 40c, 1 2700 35c, and i got 2 4000 40c's ( on the way) as well as a spare motor on the way, and since i just broke an arm at the main plates last night 2 arms on the way.
wish i would of throught of this before but oh well :p
and as far as the sim i went with aerosim rc. more options then just a gaui. and i will say for being new to all this ( 1 week in ) nothing works better then flying it your self. out in a wide field, for getting the hang of it. i was flying in the sim last night and noticed that i have alot more control then i did at first, slowly getting my orentation down so that if the quad is nose left im making the right moves with the sticks to keep it going where it should be and not freaking out and crashing :p

im still flying on atti 80-80
but as you can tell by the range of posts on the subject there are alot of variables out there.

sj257

I had a second short flight in the (small) garden last night after fittign a Go Pro mount, and I'm pretty comfortable flying it in a confined space in the dark, so general flying I hope to be ok. I'm pretty comfortable throwing a heli around and fixed wing so really just orientation to get to grips with. On the Phoenix sim the Gaui seems very easy to flip, roll and loop. Just interested in how aerobatic the flame wheel might be in stock form.

I've got some spare props in 8 and 10. Batteries wise I think I have about 10 appropriate 3s packs and 2 4s packs so sorted there. Thinking of making up a parallel lead to use two 2300 3s to give me a 4600 3s pack for duration and possibly to counter balace a go pro pushed out from the CoG.

I think I went with something like 115, 115,115,100 and 85,85 on the gain. I've noticed a low frequency nod at times. Say around one or two nods a second. Doesn't look like an over gain nod, so could this be an under gain nod? Wondering if there isn't enough gain for it to keep up with the turbuilance and might need a little more to hold solid. Thoughts?

sj

kloner

Aerial DP
it sounds undergained, but like said, no wind. Best way to see it is with the gopro vid. when you hit too much gain it gets real throttle'y rev,rev,rev. when it's under, all i see is a little wobble and a drift. the lower gain range makes better vids. I fly it pretty aggresive and been letting it all hang out and so far i haven't had it leave stable with low gains. just see a big wobble from time to time and that's kept away not dropping the throttle as far. at first the hardest part for me was once it got up, i couldn't hear it, freaked me out. used to hearing stuff the whole flight with big scale helis and big planks

Whered ya put the camera?

mailman35

i hate waiting for parts, and hate waiting for ups!
put 500 heli landing skids on the quad today. to get the bottom off the ground.

sj257

it sounds undergained, but like said, no wind. Best way to see it is with the gopro vid. when you hit too much gain it gets real throttle'y rev,rev,rev. when it's under, all i see is a little wobble and a drift. the lower gain range makes better vids. I fly it pretty aggresive and been letting it all hang out and so far i haven't had it leave stable with low gains. just see a big wobble from time to time and that's kept away not dropping the throttle as far. at first the hardest part for me was once it got up, i couldn't hear it, freaked me out. used to hearing stuff the whole flight with big scale helis and big planks

Whered ya put the camera?

I built it with the bottom plate tabs facing back and front so I could hard mout the go pro on the front tab. I did that but wasn't happy with it so I,ve made an under carrage out of some 6mm ali tube some ali bar and a pair of drain pipe clips. Lifts the quad about 5 inches and lets me under sling the go pro.

View attachment 2568

Bit of a lash up but works.

Quad seem more stable with this on, but only get about 5 minutes out of a 2300 3s pack.

Wondering if a pair of them to give 4600 3s will give significantly better duration or if the extra weight will negate a lot of the capacity gain.

Filming at fistral last night the initial results look ok. A few twitches to try to iron out.

sj

Attachments

• IMG472.jpg
    IMG472.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 392
Last edited by a moderator:

sj257

A brief update.

I've dialed the gains down to 110, 110, 110, 100 and 80, 80.

This feels smoother, and seems to look smoother on vid. Tempted to try dropping another 5 across the board.

sj