My first quad - DJI Flame Wheel F450 FPV build

This will be my first FPV model as well. It took me about a week and a half to get the build done because as I went along I found out there were a few small pieces I needed to finish. I got everything finished up last Saturday night and managed to get it up for a short maiden flight on Easter Sunday before the rain got here. Maiden flight went well but was short because the stock voltage protection settings are very conservative. I had to land when I still had enough battery to keep flying for another 3-4 minutes.

Anyway that is all I have had time to do with it so far. Here are the basics:

Stock DJI Flame Wheel F450 kit from Atlantahobby.com
(stock DJI motors/esc, Naza)
DJI 1038 props
DJI GPS antenna
Spektrum AR8000 receiver
ImmersionRC 5.8ghz video tx
Sony 600TVL cam from securitycamera2000.com

the radio I'm using is a JR 11x

I basically watched a bunch of build videos on Youtube to get a good idea of how to put everything together. The only thing I did that was somewhat different was attach my VU to the side of one of the arms of the quad so I would be able to see the LED indicator while the quad was flying.

I also had to use a voltage step up unit to power the camera from my video tx. So far I have only had the one flight and the only problems noted were the voltage protection was set too high, and in GPS atti mode it drifted to the right. I suspect that the drifting in GPS mode may be due to a bit of a botched compass calibration, so I will have to re-do that before the next flight.

I completed a range test of the video tx and AR8000 by taking the props off the quad, powering everything up, and then putting the model in a window of my house. I then drove down the road a bit to a multi-story parking garage that is line of sight from my house. From my house to the parking garage is a distance of 540 meters. From the top of the parking garage I was able to receive a clear video picture and with my roommate on the phone observing the model, was able to cycle through the different flight modes and spin the motors up.

I have not flown FPV yet or even powered up the FPV system in flight. Currently I don't have a way to record my flights as I don't have a DVR yet.

So, this is my first quad and first FPV platform, any tips or advice are greatly appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• Photo Mar 22, 3 36 31 PM.jpg
    Photo Mar 22, 3 36 31 PM.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 587
  • Photo Mar 22, 8 28 49 PM.jpg
    Photo Mar 22, 8 28 49 PM.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 585
  • Photo Mar 22, 8 38 01 PM.jpg
    Photo Mar 22, 8 38 01 PM.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 565
  • Photo Mar 22, 8 46 16 PM.jpg
    Photo Mar 22, 8 46 16 PM.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 444
  • Photo Mar 24, 4 50 36 PM.jpg
    Photo Mar 24, 4 50 36 PM.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 459
  • Photo Mar 24, 6 06 50 PM.jpg
    Photo Mar 24, 6 06 50 PM.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 545
  • Photo Mar 28, 9 18 30 PM.jpg
    Photo Mar 28, 9 18 30 PM.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 494
  • Photo Mar 30, 3 28 27 PM.jpg
    Photo Mar 30, 3 28 27 PM.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 460
  • Photo Mar 30, 3 28 45 PM.jpg
    Photo Mar 30, 3 28 45 PM.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 461
  • Photo Mar 30, 4 40 08 PM.jpg
    Photo Mar 30, 4 40 08 PM.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 434

CHEERS

I am thinking of going into FPV so would be interested to see the continued testing of your rig and know how you get on. hope it all goes well.

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
The GPS drift of the Naza is completely normal even after calibration. If you are drifting to the right 15 degrees you'll need to turn your GPS compass 15 degrees to the left. It takes some playing around, the directions describe this by the way, to get it right. I had to move mine about 15 degrees to the left and now it flies perfectly straight. Keep in mind this is super important if you are using RTH (Return to home) because if it does not track correctly it will still come back but not back to you, it'll be way off depending on how far it has to fly back.

Your build looks really well done. I personally prefer the step-up/step-down voltage regulator so I can use any voltage battery I want. My system is setup to use 2S to 5S without having to change anything but that's just me. Did you use a filter to clean the voltage up? If you did, I didn't see it but if you didn't go get one it's worth it and will remove the lines in your video caused by dirty DC. Here's what I used, they were NOT easy to solder so make sure your solder skills are top notch. Also, make sure your Naza voltage protection (RED section) is set for worst case scenario so about 3.3V per cell. Set your warning voltage (YELLOW) for when you'd like to be warned that you are low on power, maybe 3.5V per cell or maybe 3.7V but this depends on your capacity of your battery/s and/or your preference.

Regulator to give my 900mhz tranmitter constant 12.6V no matter what my battery voltage is, makes for maximum range and constant video output etc.
http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/Adjustable-Voltage-Regulator-1-35V-SEPIC-Type.html

Filter to clean up the dirty DC voltage and to keep my video crystal clear.
http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/Power-Supply-Filter-L-C-Type.html

Most of us fly through our main camera but use a Go Pro to record the video so we get a clean video recording versus what you see through your video transmitter which is not clean at all. The Go Pro doesn't get interference so it makes for a very nice, and high def, recording. If you use a DVR you'll record exactly what you see so when your video gets scrambled that's what you'll record etc.

I use Futaba radios that use FAAST and for good reason. I have heard far too many horror stories with Spektrum products, there are plenty of people who use them still though. I get about 1 to 1.5 mile range LOS (line of sight) with my Futaba 6EX using diversity and FAAST. One thing I've learned is that in all cases diversity is the way to go from video to radio to audio etc. Diversity means it has 2 or more antennas and selects the best one, to me this is a must have but others may disagree.

Let me know if you need anything at all... :)

Last edited by a moderator:

stauntonflyer

Psychopath Labratories
Are the rubber bands helping? I have the same setup basically and the vibration through the gimble gives me bad jello effect. I have a single rubberband on there now but it barely makes a difference.

For the Drift, make sure your IMU is calibrated on a really level surface, then look up the magnetic Declination in your area and rotate the gps to that offset. Cures the toilet bowl problem and drift. I travel so I have to change this every other week.

I have started with a $50 7" TV on a tripod to FPV, I bought a a/v digital capture attachment to record the flights on my laptop, works pretty well.

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
Are the rubber bands helping? I have the same setup basically and the vibration through the gimble gives me bad jello effect. I have a single rubberband on there now but it barely makes a difference.

Try putting your camera on cut foam ear plugs, that's probably the cheapest way to reduce or eliminate jello in your shots. You can use the rubber bands to secure the camera down, just be careful those aren't too tight or too loose, it'll take some playing around to get it dialed in but it works well and is cheap :) If you want to spend money, there are gel packs you can get that do the same thing. Your camera sits on those...