MultiWii / NAZE / SP Racing F3 Multiwii and Flamewheel!

whiteturbo

Multicopter Junkie
Hi,:black_eyed:

That smiley looks like a pirate!

Ok down to the nitty gritties, I bought a flamewheel frame from quadcopters co uk just before Xmas, when it arrived and i tried to assemble it one of the threaded portions on one of the arms had been missed, i didnt have a 2.5mm tap or i would have just tapped it and carried on, so i Emailed Geoff of quadcopters co uk and he responded almost imediately and asked me to post the arm back and he would send me a replacement, i posted it on the 23rd i think and it arrived back on the wed or thursday(cant remember exactly) after Xmas, no fuss no hastle just a straight replacement done as quickly as was possible seeing it was over Xmas. I judge a company on how it deals with problems and Geoff got 10 out of 10 for the speed and efficancy(i cant spell) that he dealt with the problem.

So back to the build!
Its a really simple kit to put together, never even glanced at the instructions, its that easy. Was pleased to find the screws for the motors were included. The only complaint i have(and this is really nit picking) is that the suplied LiPo strap is rubbish.

Im using a Flyduino Mega board and a 10dos Imu, one of Jussi's early ones. and it was a bit of a squeeze shoehorning it all in. As i didnt want to be drilling holes near where the Esc's are soldered i made an adapter plate so i could Drill it 45 degrees out and use the plate to align the Mega stack the right way, i must admit that having to fit the FC inside of the frame threw me for a bit as im used to the FC on top and LiPo underneath. I only drilled four holes so if at a later date i have loads of money i can still fit a Naza Flight Controller.

View attachment 1964View attachment 1966View attachment 1970View attachment 1971View attachment 1972

But on with the Build!
I had to make up a short lead so as to get the FTDI conection out from under the cover as undoing sixteen screws to attach the Gui and adjust the settings was impractical and as i also use a LCD for adjusting settings at the field that was an absolute necessity, If i was clever i could have fitted a BT adapter and saved all that, But i havnt got involved with BT, another thing to go wrong i figure.

View attachment 1965

Fitting the 30 amp Hobbywing ESC's was the easiest thing ever, because the power supply circuit is built into the frame, Just solder the ESC's to the clearly marked Positive and negative points at each corner and solder the lead for the LiPo plug, again clearly marked and thats all the soldering done, ten joints altogether and all on nice big pads, even i couldnt mess that up!:frog:(dont know what frog means but i wanted to use it LOL)

I had some RC timer 2836/11 750kv motors which were meant for a Y6 which never got built and i used four(Douh) of them, They have 4mm shafts so should go well with the hopefully indestructable theme and matched them with some 11x4.7 green and orange props.

View attachment 1967View attachment 1968View attachment 1969

I have trimmed and balanced her and i have her hovering quite nicely in my little flat. The weather is stopping me from giving her a proper test but by the way she feels indoors i dont think there will be any problems in the great outside.

The Flamewheel is a large Multi to me as i tend towards the smaller sportier quads, but the intention this year is to make a small start into FPV and i thought this would be about the right size, Im sure with a little rearanging of the RX etc i have plenty of room for camera and TX.

Hope you enjoyed my Build

Ray:pirate:(now that is a pirate smiley):very_drunk:

Attachments

• P1010907.jpg
    P1010907.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 179
  • P1010899.jpg
    P1010899.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 137
  • P1010900.jpg
    P1010900.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 176