Multirotor on BBC Newsnight

3dheliguy

I don't know about you guys, but this subject is a double edged sword I believe.. I currently live in the US, and as you probably know we love to innovate new technology, and love to take advantage of any little law that can be exploited by attorneys and people looking for financial profit.

Most of us think because we fly model quality aerial vehicles, that there are no companies that are looking to exploit the laws regarding this.

Most of us also think that are privacy laws and what not aren't really valid, but what you fail to realize is that most of us are just looking to create beautiful shots, and great cinema, but I assure you were there is money there are people to take it a step further for financial gain, like big business... And if you don't know how big business works well then you need to study the last five years of the markets and the S**t they get away. Such as stealing money from us left and right, through the us of COD , and timing the financial callapse in 2007.. One of the biggest organized manufactured collapses of the markets causing worldwide epidemic of financial decay of our countries have ever seen. These are events that big business has got away with... And now the funny thing is before the collapse and now the rich have gotten 100 times richer the poor have got 100 times poorer.

This is just a example of what big business can do and get away with it. So the moral of the story is if you give big business and inch they will take it a mile, and thus losing our freedoms in the process.

This will translate into this industry very soon, and I assure you thet they will not be using a Cinestar or DW Multirotor machine to take little photos they will be using military grade drones with telephoto zoom lenses from 10000 feet to document whatever they see fit. See as for this discussion I feel there can be no advantage to giving the right to big business to get there hands on this tech.

I'm sorry for the negative remarks and I'm all for individuals with small equipment to have a small business. But big business is not thinking of taking photos for real estate!!!! There looking for information, as if we need one more eye on us.

jes1111

Absolutely agree with you - I am 100% in favour of legislation, licencing, compulsory insurance, etc. - we have those things for motor vehicles and I don't hear anyone complaining. The maintenance of personal privacy is a big part of the issues involved, certainly - what I find irritating is that these debates are diluted and diverted in the media by all the twittering about looking through bedroom windows. As you say, what we really need to fear is big business being able to gather (and cross-link) yet more data on us but that debate is being sidelined by the more headline-worthy bedroom window nonsense.

3dheliguy

Yeah awe man is that irritating... I agree fully...what trivial media compared to the broad sword of Big business applications.
I don't know how much I trust legislation these days with all the lobbyist paying the bills for these guys. That's the real problem right now we face as a nation, political relations and the greed of big business.

So all we can do hope to make a couple bucks, and when the going gets tough the tough get the he'll out.

Its a love hate relationship... I just feel we are fighting a losing battle so what can you do. Just wanted to throw that out there in thinking you guys know what's going on.

Malcr001

Absolutely agree with you - I am 100% in favour of legislation, licencing, compulsory insurance, etc.

For business purposes I agree with you but for hobbyists, no way. In the UK we basically already have that. If you want to use a UAV's for business purposes you need to be examined by the CAA and get a BNUC-S certification where the CAA also certify the aircraft. On top of that you must have some sort of public liability insurance.

jes1111

I feel the hobby side of MRs is its own worst enemy right now - flying a plane/heli/glider/whatever in a field away from any danger - that's fine - has never been a problem and never will be. But FPV flying, hobby or not, will possibly/probably become illegal without the licencing, insurance, etc. - And that only makes sense: FPV beyond line of sight is just too risky to allow without certification and it's equally likely they'll just ban it for hobby use. Commercial use of FPV will require a full pilot's licence. I don't see how it will be any other way.

Malcr001

It may be different where you live but FPV in the UK is already very restrictive as it is. It breaches CAA rules if you fly beyond LOS distance. The buddy box system no longer exists but the weight restrictions are tighter.

Ready to fly FPV systems like the AR drone and spyhawk FPV system are a threat because its so easy for anyone to setup. The technical know how required to setup an FPV system up used to be the barrier to sort out the kids from the men but now with RTF systems this is being eliminated.

Licensing and insurance for hobbyists is a stupid idea not to mention comes at a great cost. CAA exminations cost £350 for the written exam followed by a further £750 for the Practical flying exam but its the training thats required that totals to 3k. Insurance is another story, I would'nt even know where to start. I really dont think this will happen to hobbyists, I'll eat my hat and just disregard the rule if it does because FPV is restrictive enough.

I feel the hobby side of MRs is its own worst enemy right now - flying a plane/heli/glider/whatever in a field away from any danger - that's fine - has never been a problem and never will be. But FPV flying, hobby or not, will possibly/probably become illegal without the licencing, insurance, etc. - And that only makes sense: FPV beyond line of sight is just too risky to allow without certification and it's equally likely they'll just ban it for hobby use. Commercial use of FPV will require a full pilot's licence. I don't see how it will be any other way.

3dheliguy

Awe Yes FPV in the US... I'm sorry to say this I think for better or worse will be very illegal very soon. The fact any moron out there can buy this type of equipment is insane, and I think for the sake of the hobby and possible business side in the future will be outlawed for any use. There are way to many possibiltys that are possible with FPV, and it's sad to say there will be an incident if the FAA doesnt act quickly on this matter. It's so sad to see it go but if by the chance it does I wouldn't be surprised in the least. It's an awesome tech, but just to cheap and easy to get a hold of... If you would like to us this type of gear there should be stringent criteria that you would have to meet to be able to fly FPV, and insuring that most with just a desire don't get there hands this tech don't.

MR are a reality of the future, and we are at the forefront in handling this tech as it comes out, I would hate to see this possibility tarnished by bad judgement of the few that are willing to take it to far.