Multirotor Motors - TBS Discovery

b0nafide

So I've upgraded to a TBS Discovery which I plan to build in the near future. My experience with the DJI motors hasn't been positive so I'm in the market for new ones. I'd like to get something more reliable, more balanced out of the box and longer lasting.

I see that the TBS Motors 750kv motors are simple rebrands of RCTimer A2830-14 750KV. While looking at those RCTimer motors on RCtimer.com I noticed that they appear to be really cheap which makes me question the quality? If TBS thinks they are quality enough for their stunts then I'm game but... I also noticed other motors on RCTimer's page which appear to be better quality? a little more money... such as their HP2814-810KV or HP2212-1000KV but I'm confused exactly which is best.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

The TBS Disco Wiki suggests: "The motor should be a 150-250W 22x12mm (Ø28x26-28mm) or 22x16mm (Ø28x30-34mm) 3-4S class motor and have a prop adapter (not prop saver with o-ring)"

The MT2216-11 Tiger Motors seem to be the top of the line but at near $50 a pop...

If $50 is too expensive for you then go for the SunnySky 2216-10 or 2216-11 at $25/each or there abouts. These are good quality motors.
regards - bruce

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
I am building a TBS Disco with NTM 2830 1000kv motors, I have been using the same motors in my DJI450 with gimbal and they are smooth, have heaps of power and great efficiency and they are under $20 with the prop driver kit, I like them a lot.

Pete

b0nafide

I am building a TBS Disco with NTM 2830 1000kv motors

Hey Pete,

Thanks for the reply.. I can't seem to find the NTM 28-30 1000kv Motors on HK. I found the 750kV ones... Can you link them for me please?

I have 9 10" Graupners ready for use... but I imagine the lower the kV the better with 10"?

Razzil

How about the T-Motor 2216-12 800kv motors located here ... Foxtechfpv.com

I can't speak for T-Motor's as I use the AXi 2217 and 2814's ... but for a cheaper T-Motor, I'd go with those.

Also trying to figure out what motors to use. I have been using the TBS 750kv motors with 10" props running 4s. Flys great but the bearings feel like they are on their way out and I think it's time to upgrade.
I think I would like to stay with the 750kv configuration due to the longer flight times.
So I'm thinking of something along the lines of the MT2212-16 750kv T-Motors. Not sure if they will work though? From my limited understanding of motors, the numbers (aside from the price) make them seem like they might be a good choice.
Any help on this would also be appreciated.
What motors did you end up going with?

sixshooterstang

Bird's Eyes Aerial Media
I use the Turborix 4023-850s on mine but I wouldn't recommend those or the hobbyking dt line of motors. mounting props is a nightmare :|

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
I am now using Birddog 2212-13 900kv motors on my Discovery on 4S, could not be happier, have a set waiting to go on my Discovery Pro when it arrives.

Pete

Hi SMP, those HK adaptors do not fit on the Sunnysky V2216-10 or V2216-11series, you must be thinking of some X series motors.

Hi Chimmy, MT2212-16 750kv T-Motors 200 watts for 180 seconds = a continuous rating of maybe 120 or 130 watts that's about the same as the DJI motors except they are 920kv. Why not go for V2216-11 800kv or MT2216-12 at 800kv, lots more power when you need it, Tiger is better but also more expensive.

regards - bruce

Hi Pete,
Mongrel has suggested using these motors. Was just wondering what sort of flight times you are getting on these motors, what props and what AUW?
Cheers
Chimmy.
I am now using Birddog 2212-13 900kv motors on my Discovery on 4S, could not be happier, have a set waiting to go on my Discovery Pro when it arrives.

Pete

Hi Bruce,
thanks for the lowdown on these motors. Trying to maintain as much flight time as possible hence going for the lower powered motors. Guess its a compromise between flight time/efficiency and handling/speed.......
You've got me thinking now. Maybe I should go for some motors with a little more grunt and manoeuvrability.
mmmm so many choices.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Hi Pete,
Mongrel has suggested using these motors. Was just wondering what sort of flight times you are getting on these motors, what props and what AUW?
Cheers
Chimmy.

Not sure what my weight is but with 9x5 CF props I am getting around 9 1/2 minutes on a 3000mh pack and around 12 minutes with my 3700mh packs.

Okay so I just weighed it and it is 1616 grams with GoPro and the 3000mh 4S pack.

I tried some 10x5 CF RC Timer props yesterday and was getting similar flight times. I did spend a bit of time getting the balance spot on and that also shows in the video, the GoPro is hard mounted in the case.

Plenty of grunt with these motors, I believe they are rated at about 250 watts.

Last edited by a moderator: