Motor preferences

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Now that I've rebuilt the Hoverfly into a frame capable of carrying camera gear and the firmware is allegedly stable enough to keep it from flipping in flight, I decided that it needs better motors. Part of that decision came about while watching the props spinning at low rpm and finding that one of the existing motors has a shaft that is bent enough to see the blades of the prop tracking well out of true and another that is also bent but not quite as bad. The combination of two motors with props spinning a bit eccentric produces enough vibration to be visible in the video recording at certain motor speeds, so they've got to go.

I considered many, many options and had a tough time making a choice but in the end I went with a set of Pulso motors and for good measure also got a set of compatible Pulso speed controllers. Many people are using the Pulso in place of the stock MK Roxxy and allegedly the new heavy lift MK motors are made to order for them by Pulso. So while I spent a lot more than 4 Hobby King or RCTimer motors would have cost, I'm hoping that with a 2 year warranty and the huge following Pulso has in the multirotor community that these will wind up being the best bang for the buck in terms of consistancy and longevity, plus I feel I can trust hanging expensive gear under them and not have to worry about a bearing seizing in flight and bringing everything crashing down.

I'll report back once they arrive and I have a chance to install them if we're not totally buried in snow by then!

Ken