Momentary Power Surge HC1100

Giovanni59

I m pretty sure now it is a power distribution issue.
I was hoping it was the bearing on motor # 2 as described above but I just did some bench tests with all the props off and also with one prop on
different motors. It does not matter what motor has a prop or if there are no props at all.

I get dips in power and then surges. Sometimes the without touching the throttle I get slight incremental increases.
Similar to the end of the video when the UAV started to climb in steps. I never touched the throttle when that was happening.

It looks like I am tearing it apart and starting with new buss bars and all new wiring.

Giovanni59

I did one more simple test involving power from the batteries to the PDB. When I started building these things I was a little green and thought it would be smarter to have one 8 gauge set of wires coming off the buss bars. I then soldered each wire in a Y configuration, basically branching off each wire for a second battery. I realize now this is not a wise setup since if that one lead coming off the buss has a problem then both batteries will be effected. Having each battery attached by its own lead is a safer way to go.

In addition to that possibility it is also possible that the immense solder joints used to attach and make these Y connections could be defective.
This was my thinking that maybe my problem lies there so I cut the main leads coming off the buss before I branch off and soldered only one set of leads to one battery, basically to test whether my Y connector joints are faulty.

However after about 1 minute of running on the one battery I started getting the pop and surge effect. I had one prop on motor #2.
So, I am back to square one, I was hoping it was the Y connectors. I am still not 100% sure that it is an electrical problem because I keep checking that motor #2 and it seems like that play on the bearing is a little larger than I thought.

I am going to keep bench testing putting a prop on other motors and might even replace that motor to see how that effects things.
In previous tests I kept getting pops and surges even with all props off or with a prop on any of the other motors.

I will keep posting to this thread and appreciate any insight.

Thanks

John

violetwolf

Yes indeed please keep posting about this John. Once you figure it out it may help others in the future. (It could be me someday lol)

Giovanni59

I replaced #2 motor, but did not help.
It has to be electrical, you were right.
The motor needed to be replaced anyway, there is definitely too much play in it.
Next step is a complete rebuid

crayfellow

@Giovanni59 wow! That is a bummer; I know how it feels.

BTW how do you like the PRC connectors? The only concern I would have in passing those onto a user in the field is no polarity distinction. Many of us have learned to respect these big rigs but folks looking to survey a field or something just want to do their job and may get a big surprise if plugging things in quickly. They do look good though, when dealing with 8ga wire. Cheers.

Giovanni59

You cannot plug them together the wrong way, see photo
They also come in blue and red so you can make the distinction if attached to power board or battery
I love them, especially that you can solder the bullet when not in the plastic casing, you then snap them in with the tip of a screwdriver.
I always seem to melt the plastic when soldering to XT connectors
407391%20EC5%20(2).jpg

violetwolf

I prefer the split type of plugs shown above to the "captive cage" types shown earlier. If you think about it the captive cage type have two contact points to fail, where the split type only have one.

Hexacrafter

Manufacturer
John,
I believe what he is saying is the male metal bullet type.
The newer bullets are a one piece design. These are much improved over the 2 piece "cage" design shown on the EC5 photo attached.
The Cage type of bullet was responsible for many of the DJI failures in the past... 4 or so years ago..
They spring action of the "cage" would get weak and arc... down came many a 550....

Giovanni59

Here's an update on my fluctuations problem. I replaced the entire power distribution system which is comprised of two copper buss bars and came pre-assembled from the manufacturer. No difference, still getting those surges and fluctuations.

I thought of another test.
I have three power leads coming out with XT connectors, 1 I have powering my FPV, another the FC and the third I hooked up to the voltage monitor of the TM1000. I disconnected them except fort the FC.

Same results. But then I started playing around with the throttle and started to remember on all my bench tests
I had situations where it did not exhibit the effect and then times when it did and I remembered that I altered the throttle.

Now I did a test where I brought the throttle up just a little so it would not stall and ran for a minute or two with no fluctuations. I raised the throttle one notch and the same, no fluctuations. When I got to mid throttle, where the stick is dead center, it starts to do it. Then when I go higher it does it sometimes but less frequently.

Now I am thinking could it be the transmitter radio? Could there be some problem on the contacts only in the area when I have the throttle stick in this general position?

But that does not explain why I had the problems when the WKM was hooked up to it and I was using the Futaba radio.
However I think this piece of information is useful in brainstorming other possible reasons for this.
Why does it happen only around mid throttle and to a lesser degree in the higher than mid throttle position?

Thoughts anyone?

fltundra

Here's an update on my fluctuations problem. I replaced the entire power distribution system which is comprised of two copper buss bars and came pre-assembled from the manufacturer. No difference, still getting those surges and fluctuations.

I thought of another test.
I have three power leads coming out with XT connectors, 1 I have powering my FPV, another the FC and the third I hooked up to the voltage monitor of the TM1000. I disconnected them except fort the FC.

Same results. But then I started playing around with the throttle and started to remember on all my bench tests
I had situations where it did not exhibit the effect and then times when it did and I remembered that I altered the throttle.

Now I did a test where I brought the throttle up just a little so it would not stall and ran for a minute or two with no fluctuations. I raised the throttle one notch and the same, no fluctuations. When I got to mid throttle, where the stick is dead center, it starts to do it. Then when I go higher it does it sometimes but less frequently.

Now I am thinking could it be the transmitter radio? Could there be some problem on the contacts only in the area when I have the throttle stick in this general position?

But that does not explain why I had the problems when the WKM was hooked up to it and I was using the Futaba radio.
However I think this piece of information is useful in brainstorming other possible reasons for this.
Why does it happen only around mid throttle and to a lesser degree in the higher than mid throttle position?

Thoughts anyone?
Have another receiver to try? Maybe it's shutting down the throttle intermittently. I've never dealt with the A2, but how do you disable the internal receiver? Might be something to look at.

Last edited by a moderator: