mkTR Pro Modification

mbsteed

aerial video centric
Okay I modified the mkTR Pro camera gimbal. I think the default setup is flawed. The vibration dampening system it comes with has too much free play and results in problems when there is small ship movements that shouldn't translate into camera movement because of the amount of play in the dampening system but results in roll movement of gimbal anyway which results in the camera jerking back and forth on the roll axis when it shouldn't. I removed the original vibration rubber dampeners and repositioned the mounting between the ship and the gimbal - which made it a more robust connection. The problem was doing that introduced low level vibrations. I had to go back twice and add more vibration dampening between the ship and the gimbal (rubber grommets and moon gel). The result is quite good.

Almost crashed it - I got distracted trying to set the transmitter that controls the the gimbal (typically a two person job). Otherwise boring footage - just a test for vibrations.

Here is the raw unedited footage:

(Canon Vixia G10)

Here are images of the changes - I think the images are pretty self explanatory but if you have questions let me know.

View attachment 4433

If you look carefully in the next image, at the very top of the image you see the primary dampening system (rubberMK connectors even before it gets to the gimbal) but still even that alone was not enough It took all that sandwiching of dampening material to make the difference - I wish I could have shared the before video (I trashed it), it is significantly improved.

View attachment 4434

Attachments

• IMG_3139.jpg
    IMG_3139.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_3140.jpg
    IMG_3140.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 301
Last edited by a moderator: