mini HDMI to Analog converter, NTSC, for NEX 5/7

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Hi guys,

Janoots brought it to my attention that the ultra small and light-weight HDMI converter is finally available in NTSC. We haven't actually received one yet but he should have his very soon to see if it really does work with our US spec cameras, goggles, and monitors.

http://www.overskyrc.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=55&products_id=479

I've been asking questions and it seem to be what we've been waiting for.

Please let us know if you buy one and if it works or not.

Thanks,
Bart

Last edited by a moderator:

janoots2

My replacement 60i version was put in the mail today from oversky. It took about 10 days to get it last time. It looks promising and there are some guys who are reporting it works perfectly with their 60i Nex5n. Will post as soon as I receive and test it.

janoots2

I have finally received the 60i NTSC version from Oversky.com after they updated the firmware and it works perfectly on my 60i Nex5n!!! Woohoo!! Took 10 days to get to the states pre Chinese New Year.

Bartman

glad to hear it!! you were a couple of days ahead of me so maybe mine will be here this week. thanks for reporting in on your progress with it.

bart

janoots2

Went to radio shack and got a 1/8" phone jack. Soldered the yellow to the small silver tab, red to the copper small tab and black to the larger ground connection. Plugs right into my dji downlink and works like a dream through my pirate eye. One thing I don't get though, if I remember correctly, one output was for audio, yet all three wires are needed to make it work.

It would work with just the yellow and red, but when I picked the camera up off the bench, it went blank...black obviously being the ground.

View attachment 16029View attachment 16030

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391476607.191315.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391476607.191315.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 319
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391476634.373908.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391476634.373908.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 319

Bartman

I've yet to receive the converter I ordered weeks ago and .....wait for it......there's a new version available!!!

http://www.rcdevice.com/en/page92.html#.UxSD7dc6FJE

so now I'm waiting for the obsolete one to arrive in the mail and the new one has video/photo control built in!

someone, somewhere doesn't want me doing aerials with my slowly aging NEX5N.

:(

janoots2

Figures!! Oh well, my gentles just came in the mail. Unless these board makers (or sony) figures out how to solve the Nex5n focus issue for photos while using hdmi out, this new board doesn't excite me much.

I like the piece of mind I get pressing the record button before flight and then stopping it upon landing.

photobobga

Janoots2. I use the NEX5 for photography and video. Focus is not an issue for me... I set the camera to manual everything; F7.0, shutter 125 and manual focus at infinity. Depth of field is 15' to infinity. As far as piece of mind, I currently use the LED shutter release from RC Shutter, it will trigger a photo and or start and stop video while in-flight using the three-way switch on my Tx. My video downlink monitor displays the red record light when video is active, and the screen will blink when a photo is taken.

Bart. the web site you referenced does not show a price or availability. Not released yet?

Bartman

Janoots2. I use the NEX5 for photography and video. Focus is not an issue for me... I set the camera to manual everything; F7.0, shutter 125 and manual focus at infinity. Depth of field is 15' to infinity. As far as piece of mind, I currently use the LED shutter release from RC Shutter, it will trigger a photo and or start and stop video while in-flight using the three-way switch on my Tx. My video downlink monitor displays the red record light when video is active, and the screen will blink when a photo is taken.

Bart. the web site you referenced does not show a price or availability. Not released yet?

i think the link i posted is for the manufacturer so it's just a matter of it getting to the dealers. fwiw, i've wired my NEX so the shutter release is on a two wire switch. it involves running two very fine wires to the shutter button inside the camera, there's a link to the video demo somewhere.

janoots2

Thanks for the tip!!

Bartman

oversky sent a second unit to replace the one that never arrived and it got here yesterday. i can't get a picture from my NEX 5N though and i'm ready to throw the thing in the firepit. is the red wire from the converter supposed to be hooked up to anything?

janoots, is yours still working?

any suggestions? anyone want an NEX5N with the 16mm pancake and kit lenses? i've got a really nice Mikrokopter XY-8 for 4S power with an AV-130 mount (great for a busy real estate photographer) that i'd consider selling with the camera at this point. grrrrrrr...

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Is it doing anything?

Which one have you got?

There seems to be a specific way of starting them up which I guess you have followed.

Dave

Bartman

nothing but a blank screen. before the camera is turned on the screen is white/black fuzz.

hdmi resolution is set to Auto before the unit is plugged in, camera is power cycled before the unit plugged in

assuming yellow is video +, black is ground, and red is unused

mine didn't have a wiring harness attached, it uses a three pin molex connector

Bartman

fwiw, i verified the operation of my video transmitter and camera's HDMI output with a Kopterworx HDMI converter.

at this point, judging from other threads online about this you are paying $59 (or whatever it costs) for the possibility of receiving a mini HDMI converter that works. returns are handled by sending the unit back to China (unless you bought it elsewhere) so the money spent on the more expensive KW converter might be worth it. i've only seen one so far from the batch I bought and sold that didn't work and it was promptly returned and replaced with a working one.

i'm waiting to hear back from oversky.com about this, they're probably sleeping so it will likely be later today.

bart

janoots2

Hey Bart - yeah mine is still working nice so far. One thing that was odd is that I had to hook up all three wires to get it to work, even though one wire was labeled for audio. I just kept trying different combinations until I got a signal. I soldered it up to a jack which plugs right into my dji downlink like this:
View attachment 16934

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395544967.857393.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395544967.857393.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 314

Bartman

i've received an email from Oversky saying that the HDMI converter isn't available for the 60i/NTSC cameras!!! am i losing my mind? that's their explanation as to why it doesn't work.

djw43

even though I am an outside observer, because I don't think it will fit on the NEX 7, I can't believe the frustration that must be experienced by those that cannot get a straight answer, or timely replacements during this painful process. I feel for anyone trying to get these to work on an NTSC camera for the past few months. Yes, I know a few are getting results, I can't figure how.

Bartman

bartman - I don't speak the language, but looking at the first video here (http://www.rcdevice.com/en/page92.html#.UzrLkqhdWTO), @3:49 it appears audio is yellow, video is red, black is ground (unless they're trying to be even more confusing than their color choices...)

holy crap! are you kidding me?? was that an April Fool's joke from yesterday and I missed it?

edit: the labeling on my board appears to be Ground-Audio-Video but the video shows them as Ground-Video-Audio so I wonder if the board is mislabeled and the colors of the wires match the error displayed by the labels. i'll have to try the red wire as video to see if it works that way.

crazy.