Michael Huerta FAA Administrator 181k people have already registered RPA

jfro

Aerial Fun
In the article, he talks about the B4UFLY app that is being released on IOS and going Beta on Android today. It's an app that will tell you the current status of a location as to the flight status rating.

It will be interesting to see how many resources on your phone or tablet you have to give them access to. Is it going to be a data mining app for getting all your contacts and everything about you that a phone has.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
that's what freaky about apps in general, they are very invasive and if you don't hard-stop them they just keep running and watching.

Old Man

With all due respect, our government, via a plethora of LEA's has been data mining our phones for several years. Look up "Stingray" and see what they openly report it does, who uses it, where, and under what authority. Don't fool yourself into thinking it only does what they've reported. What your phone has, they have.

Nothing above is to suggest I condone the use of the technology without a warrant issued by a court that has civilian oversight.

jfro

Aerial Fun
I think many people don't understand how much data they have on all of us, me included, although I suspect, but hope it's not everything about us. There are many Android apps that I go to install that I abort when I see the list of everything they want access to. Once in a while I give access to a program because I need or want it, but out of principal, most of the times I abort.

Whether it's DJI or the Government, or joe blow company with a flashlight ap for my phone, it's just a nogo for me when I get a choice. When if starts effecting things I have a right to do, then that will take this up to another level of which most likely, too bad so sad for myself and all the other people. We will most likely be in a take it or leave it position.

Av8Chuck

Its interesting that the FAA has mandated drone registration in an effort to protect the publics privacy and safety, yet drone operators are part of the that public and they don't think twice about our privacy and safety. I'm pretty sure that the government knows pretty much all they want to about me but its the hypocrisy that really bothers me. Flying and registering a drone makes us second class citizens.

The other thing that really bothers me about this registration rule is that it was predicated on a lie. It was passed as an emergency directive when there was no emergency. They knew Christmas was on December 25 so there was no emergency that empowered them to promulgate this rule despite paragraph 336 of the explicitly denying the FAA from doing this. Yet the AMA followed them to the slaughter.

Many of us have been doing this drone thing since 2007 (or longer) and in that time we've all heard that there are a million plus drones sold, its a $100B industry, there's been hundreds of near midair collisions and yet only 181,000 sheep signed up to register their drones?

It doesn't add up, its BS!

Old Man

What's equally interesting is that the number of people that have registered is very close to the published number of AMA members and that number is not even close to the number of people flying "drones". That should provide a little cause for the AMA to step back and realize just how badly they dropped the ball by more or less alienating flyers of multirotors from the RC community.

Had they been just a little more forward thinking, or considerably less entrenched in doing everything the "old way", they would have had an opportunity to massively increase their membership, become much stronger as a political body, and had a superb avenue open for them to provide the aviation education so badly needed by the modeling community, with emphasis on "drone" flyers. There would also have been no need of a dues increase that is now causing long time members to drop out and driving away new members. The vast increase in membership would have provided all the funding they needed with a large surplus.

Instead they chose a path that is rapidly leading them to extinction. They knew new rules were coming before the formation of the original ARC committee in 2007. There were people telling them about planning that was in the works but they elected to ignore that information until after the ARC committee was formed, having to almost beg to be included after the fact. They were permitted to attend and listen, but not to provide input.

Those that were providing the input did not, nor do not, represent those at our level in any way. Those present represented the full scale aviation community, corporate aerospace affiliated with government level UAV contracts, and the interests of those that had banded together to promote use of UAV's for government entities.

That's all old news but still quite relevant to what is happening today.

Old Man

Such would not need to be so specialized. Neither the amateur or the pro is being represented at the moment and both have concerns much too similar in too many areas to be separated. There's no reason one organization could serve for both. Simple enough to say but likely more difficult in practice, but it would not be that difficult to shift gears between both user groups.