Low kv motors vrs high kv motors in windy conditions

crcr

Does anyone know how the different kv motors handle the wind.

I'm looking to use 400kv motors with 15x5 props on an X8 but am wondering how this setup would compare to using 670kv motors with 13x6.5 props when in windy conditions.

On the face of it, it seems the higher kv motors (670) would be better than the lower kv (400) motors as they are spinning faster.

If anyone has experience or any thoughts on this it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
Does anyone know how the different kv motors handle the wind.

I'm looking to use 400kv motors with 15x5 props on an X8 but am wondering how this setup would compare to using 670kv motors with 13x6.5 props when in windy conditions.

On the face of it, it seems the higher kv motors (670) would be better than the lower kv (400) motors as they are spinning faster.

If anyone has experience or any thoughts on this it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

I am looking into a similar problem right now. I have a DJI F550 hexacopter with 750Kv 250W motors on it. I want it to be a lot snappier so I bought some 1350Kv 310W motors. I haven't installed them yet as this 750Kv setup seems to work ok but just OK. It has a lot of punch out power and torque but it has very little "snap" to it.

Also keep in mind that many things determine flight characteristics. You can have 2 different motors with 2 different propellers and it flies exactly the same. Or, for example, if you use the APC propellers for electric motors they are light weight, thin, flexible and wider closer to the base and thin at the tip. I would think a high speed motor on a high speed designed prop would work very well but that's what I'm not sure on. A 750kv motor for example still spins super fast so what do the blades consider "high speed" (30,000rpm or maybe 500,000rpm) before they stall out? I don't know... There are so many factors it's hard to answer but I hope I've helped you out in some way at least if not just in some ideas or line of thinking.