Looking for a good but cheapER Y6 frame... Any advice? What's the best Y6?

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
Sorry for the delay, I am having a busy week.
I'm running 12/38 APC SF on top and bottom, but I'm thinking of running APC SF 12/38 on top and 12/4 on bottom. The rig is 850mm from motor to motor.
I also tried the Gemfan 12/4 wood props, and they took quite a bit of effort to balance but I do like them as well.
Also, I made a change to the rig. The way the gimbal was mounted the landing gear were causing me some vibrations, so I changed the rig around, got some "Finestar" landing gear (fake cinstar)
And I now have this... I only made a quick hop, but the video looks pretty nice. No vibrations now...

View attachment 14055 View attachment 14056View attachment 14057

Good to hear you can spin 12" props, did you get the 1/3 meter arms? I'm not sure how long your arms are to be able to understand the spacing between the motors. It looks like you could spin 15" props lol...huge space there. What's up with the motor on the right bottom, it looks like it's off center of the other one...not that that matters for flying but odd.

Quick question, why use the Gemfan slowfly props and not something else like some carbon fiber or graupner style props? Just curious and I'll say this, I personally HATE slowfly props but to each their own. It looks super nice and I can't wait to get mine built. The landing gear has wheels on it? And do those landing legs act like sails in the wind? My last ones did, similar design. Looks good bro, I appreciate the info and I know I just asked you a lot of questions LOL so thanks again in advance.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
The weird motor must be the camera angle I took the picture it's aligned perfectly in person. I saw that as well and had to go look at the rig again to make sure it wasn't jacked up!
The SF props seem to give the rig a slower, floatier flight. The Gemfan wood props seem to do a very nice job as well and seem to let it ignore strong winds.
I personally hate the Grapner props. The blades are too skinny, and the motors seem to work 1/3 harder to fly.
I'd be interested in some CF props, but the cheap ones I have seen stink and they were WAY out of balance. Like they mis-drilled the hub hole by .5 mm. Unflyable! And finally the nice Xoar CF props are $100 a set! And I AM BROKE! :D

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
The weird motor must be the camera angle I took the picture it's aligned perfectly in person. I saw that as well and had to go look at the rig again to make sure it wasn't jacked up!
The SF props seem to give the rig a slower, floatier flight. The Gemfan wood props seem to do a very nice job as well and seem to let it ignore strong winds.
I personally hate the Grapner props. The blades are too skinny, and the motors seem to work 1/3 harder to fly.
I'd be interested in some CF props, but the cheap ones I have seen stink and they were WAY out of balance. Like they mis-drilled the hub hole by .5 mm. Unflyable! And finally the nice Xoar CF props are $100 a set! And I AM BROKE! :D

I understand that! Being broke that is... What I'm planning on doing is reeming out the hole to 8mm so I can use my Graupner 8mm to 4mm conversion rings and then I'll balance it to perfection from there by sanding them etc. I've had bad experiences with the SF props and they seem to put all the load on the outside of the blade and you can tell that in-flight by looking at them as they will be slightly bent in an arc from the tip to the connection point. I've had them come apart in mid-air also as the main connection point is the skinniest part and therefore the weak point where they break. The Graupner style props are really designed for faster spinning motors with lower torque. They have the big pitch and wide portion close to the connection point on the hub whereas the rest gets smaller with less pitch as they go to the tip. What that does is make it easier for faster motors to spin as well as make them a little bit more efficient etc as well as wind resistant and so on. If you have a slower spinning motor then they'll have to work hard to make the same lift. Xoar props are a ripoff period, no prop should be $100...might as well put any other brand name label on there...try Gucci or Rolex props :)

So one more time, how long are the arms on your Y6? Maybe I missed it somewhere? I ordered the 1/3 meter arms myself. Did you see the prop links I put up in the last couple post? What you think of those?

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Sorry, I had put the motor to motor measurement. My arms are the 1/2 meter tubes with just under 2" cut off. I'm eyeballing the props now.

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
http://www.foxtechfpv.com/1260-carbon-fiber-propeller-cwccw-p-522.html

Those were the props that were UNFLYABLE.
Horrible. At least the ones I got. They were very fragile, and the balance was so off it was insane. The hob hole was straight up mis-drilled on all 8 I had!

The other ones look pretty good.
I think I'm more of a wood prop guy when given teh choice.

Wow, good to know thanks! What's the advantage of wood? I know Xoar also makes wood props and a few of the Guru's use wood, I'm not sure why though but I'd love to understand it. Where's Kloner when you need him? He's like Super Grover of the Multicopter world :)

How about these then?
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__28282__Wooden_12x4R_Slowfly_Propeller_1pc_bag_.html
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__28281__Wooden_12x4_Slowfly_Propeller_1pc_bag_.html

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
Those look interesting.
Cheap too!
I wonder how balanced they are.. Hmm.

Honestly I never worry about balance or the hole diameter or anything like that. The first thing I do is ream the hole to 8mm and then balance the prop so to me it doesn't matter so much as the total overall quality and to me, those look top notch as far as quality is concerned.

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
I have a set of those turnigy wooden props, very happy so far. they are sometimes on my X8.

What motor are you spinning them with and what size? Do you have to balance them or are they balanced? It looks to me that the prop industry is wide open for multirotors, if someone could manufacture them they'd make a mint. The key would be to make matching sets instead of just right hand or just left hand etc. There have been a number of times I found the perfect prop but it only comes in left or right hand turn...sigh. This is much more difficult than it should be. Graupners are rare and it seems like the rest are pretty much garbage or $30-$100 each.

Stacky

sunnysky V2814/11 700kv motors which are a decent size. I havent balanced them at all although they are very slightly out of balance, I simply didnt bother as they were reasonably close. I dont have any problem with vibration on the X8 they are on. I probably should give them a bit of balancing but they are reasonably close so it wouldnt take long.

These are the motors, I have them on my Hexa and my X8. My Hexa weighs 4kg including camera, battery and gimbal and my X8 is also 4kg AUW. I have a ton of spare power with both machines hovering fully laden at 45%. The motors on my Hexa have now done over 10 hours of air time without any problems. I know the amount of airtime because of battery logs and also the HFP has a built in log as well.

What motor are you spinning them with and what size? Do you have to balance them or are they balanced? It looks to me that the prop industry is wide open for multirotors, if someone could manufacture them they'd make a mint. The key would be to make matching sets instead of just right hand or just left hand etc. There have been a number of times I found the perfect prop but it only comes in left or right hand turn...sigh. This is much more difficult than it should be. Graupners are rare and it seems like the rest are pretty much garbage or $30-$100 each.

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
sunnysky V2814/11 700kv motors which are a decent size. I havent balanced them at all although they are very slightly out of balance, I simply didnt bother as they were reasonably close. I dont have any problem with vibration on the X8 they are on. I probably should give them a bit of balancing but they are reasonably close so it wouldnt take long.

These are the motors, I have them on my Hexa and my X8. My Hexa weighs 4kg including camera, battery and gimbal and my X8 is also 4kg AUW. I have a ton of spare power with both machines hovering fully laden at 45%. The motors on my Hexa have now done over 10 hours of air time without any problems. I know the amount of airtime because of battery logs and also the HFP has a built in log as well.

Perfect, I basically have a similar motor only they're 750Kv and mine are 18A max and yours are 35A powerhouse, mine will do 265W and yours look to be 370W each so that's pretty powerful. I doubt yours will get hot right? Right now I'm spinning 10"x5 on my motors and they come down ice cold. I'm going to lower the pitch on my next blades and go with 12" so it looks like, judging from everyone else's setup, I'll have to go with 12x3 on top and 12x4 on bottom so I don't burn my motors out :) Thanks for the info!

Stacky

On my X8 the top motors get warm whilst the bottom motors stay cool. I think thats partly because the bottom motors get the top motors prop wash. On the Hexa the motors rarely get warm even in summer.

You may find the 12s will result in slightly more wobbly flight in the wind but the NTMs should handle the 12s easily.

Perfect, I basically have a similar motor only they're 750Kv and mine are 18A max and yours are 35A powerhouse, mine will do 265W and yours look to be 370W each so that's pretty powerful. I doubt yours will get hot right? Right now I'm spinning 10"x5 on my motors and they come down ice cold. I'm going to lower the pitch on my next blades and go with 12" so it looks like, judging from everyone else's setup, I'll have to go with 12x3 on top and 12x4 on bottom so I don't burn my motors out :) Thanks for the info!

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
On my X8 the top motors get warm whilst the bottom motors stay cool. I think thats partly because the bottom motors get the top motors prop wash. On the Hexa the motors rarely get warm even in summer.

You may find the 12s will result in slightly more wobbly flight in the wind but the NTMs should handle the 12s easily.

That's fine with me, I'm more of a pilot than an AP guy and I really just strap a camera to my Multi's so I can watch them later over and over again. I really don't care about wobbles and all that but I do put a little effort into trying to reduce them. I'll eventually upgrade the motors but really what I want to do is to get back out and FLYING again. I like to explore from the air and do new tricks and fly fast and all that. I'm hoping that a lower pitch prop will allow me to gain some speed, flight time and avoid wind better. I hear the Y6 design is one of the best for wind but I guess I'll find out. I did fly a Y6 for a little while and it was ok, I got the F550 because it had a built in power (PDB) board which made it convenient but this next MR is going to be SICK...can't wait until tomorrow when it comes in the box so I can get started building!!! UAP-2 Rusty's Y6. :)

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
I finally finished my Y6 build out. Rusty was awesome and his product was top quality. I'm glad everyone introduced me to him. I put a YouTube video up of my build. Thanks!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
That looks totally awesome, great build video:)
Can't wait to see it fly:beer:

Here's a bit of my UAP-1 zipping around in the dark to wet your appetite:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO1fgLniLtU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my HTC HD2

Looks like it flies pretty well. What props are you using? I have 750Kv NTM motors with 11x5 RCTimer carbon fiber Graupner rip-offs on mine and they are SUPERB in every way. No complaints yet...haven't got to fly her FPV yet though. Hoping to do so in the next couple weeks.

Jake Bullit

Fly,crash,glue,repeat!
Currently it's on graupner 10x5 top and bottom, before that I had graupner 11x5 top and bottom, the motors are torx power 2216 800kv,not much to choose between the two.

Sent from my HTC HD2

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
Currently it's on graupner 10x5 top and bottom, before that I had graupner 11x5 top and bottom, the motors are torx power 2216 800kv,not much to choose between the two.

Sent from my HTC HD2

What made you go to a smaller prop? Motors getting hot? Does it fly better now? How about your flight times, better or worse? Thanks!