LiPo disposal question

I zapped a LiPo and need to dispose of one. I left it hooked up to an auto bulb overnight and each cell is down to about 0.10v

I've read that I need to get them down to 0 before connecting the + - wires together before throwing away.

How can I get the cells down to 0? They won't seem to go past this.

I also heard salt water but further read that it's not legit.

Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jes1111

Who said salt water is not legit? It's worked for me every time. Just make sure the water is REALLY salty - I dump a small bag of dishwasher salt in a bucketful of water. Leave it in the a good 48 hours.

Vojec

when you done with bulb thing, just solder main + and - wire together and you are ready to dump it...

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Who said salt water is not legit?

The problem with this method is that the salt can corrode the terminals before the cells are fully discharged. So, whilst it will often work well, it doesn't always. Also, if the terminals have corroded internally then doing a voltage check may well return 0v but inside there is still voltage in one or more cells.

Got the voltage down to as low as I could overnight but still had a tiny bit. I drove a steel nail through it, dropped it in the LiPo bag and placed in the firepit. Puffed a bit, but now voltage reads 0. I assume the nail is the same thing as wiring up the + - together?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jes1111

I'm afraid that someone will read advice like "join the + and - terminals together" or "hammer a six inch nail through it" and not realise that either of those actions is potentially lethal if the cells are not sufficiently discharged. That's why I believe the safest action is the bucket of salt water for at least 48 hours - then join the terminals and dispose of it in an approved battery disposal bin.

Vojec

Do not nail it... just measure every cell and solder... no harm a little spark is all you get... do it a lot of times. When complete discarge I unplug it when lipo get hotter, wait to calm down and then drain it... it takes 1hour to complete discarge 4S 5800mAh battery.