Leica DG Summilux 25mm lens

hexhome

Television Broadcast Engineer, SUSA operator
I have bought a GH4 on advice from several members. I am considering a 25mm (standard) lens. I want a fairly wide shot but need to be around 50 metres away for noise reasons.
Any experience of this one?

eskil23

Wikipedia Photographer
The focal length for a "normal" lens is about 21-22 mm for the micro four thirds system (focal length equals sensor diagonal), so 25 mm is somewhat tighter. That said, one usually want a wider lens than a normal for aerial photography, but that depends on what you want to shoot. I would prefer something like 12-16 mm. Longer focal lengths are more sensitive to vibrations.

Regarding the quality of the Panasonic/Leica DG 25/1,4 ASPH Summilux. Well. It's a Leica. If they ever made a bad lens, I've never heard about it.

hexhome

Thanks, yes it is slightly tight for standard. I will be filming horses which is why I would like to give myself some distance. The camera shake issue is one of the reasons I was hoping to hear of any experience using longer lenses on multicopters. The only disadvantage of the Leica I can see is that it only goes down to f16, however I can't really see D of F being a huge issue.

Thank you for your thoughts.

jfro

Aerial Fun
It's a f1.4. How low do you want to go? I have one, but haven't flown it. If I get some air time in the next few days, I'll put it on and give it a go to see how stable it is. Can't promise anything, but maybe the weather will break around here one of these days.

eskil23

Wikipedia Photographer
Another option is the Olympus 25mm f/2.8 Zuiko Digital. It's about 1/3 the cost and 1/2 the weight of the Summilux. Same focal length, but the aperture only goes to f/2.8.

hexhome

Another option is the Olympus 25mm f/2.8 Zuiko Digital. It's about 1/3 the cost and 1/2 the weight of the Summilux. Same focal length, but the aperture only goes to f/2.8.
Good call, thanks. f22 as well! On to it. Cheers.

hexhome

It's a f1.4. How low do you want to go? I have one, but haven't flown it. If I get some air time in the next few days, I'll put it on and give it a go to see how stable it is. Can't promise anything, but maybe the weather will break around here one of these days.
f22, I need a large D of F. Be interested in your findings.

hexhome

Ah, manual focus only, still worth a look though!

eskil23

Wikipedia Photographer
If you are going to shoot at f/22 you don't need autofocus. Everything from ten feet to infinity will be within the DoF. However, diffraction will take it's toll on sharpness.

hexhome

True, those pesky circles of confusion:( I've bought the Summilux as, a, Couldn't find an Olympus for sale and b, It gets dark in Northumberland this time of year;)
Will let you know how I get on.

wizprod

Dont go to f/22, you'll get diffraction and thus loss of sharpness and contrast. Buy a suitable ND filter instead. Or buy a cheap zoom lens instead, as the performance of the 25 mm will be comparable to that at f/22

hexhome

I don't think that it will be an issue, the Leica only goes down to f16 anyway. With the crop factor of the sensor, I am expecting adequate D of F at that.

hexhome

Weather has allowed me one 10 minute flight with the 25mm lens. It certainly highlights any movement! The Movi 10 has only had a very basic setup so early days, but I can see that a longer focal length presents challenges.