Just 2 questions

skipper1

My first question;
I have an F330, it's a rocket and love it. I'm a terrible pilot. What are some exercises I can do to become a better pilot. I have the Phoenix flight simulator, 10,000 helis & planes and ONE quad. So, I fly the Gaui until I get bored and I fly my F330 every chance I get.

Second question;
This little quad doesn't have to get very far away before you lose orientation. I want to add some bright LED's. Red on the back, white or blue for the front. What are the best & brightest LED's and how do I wire them up? Do I need an extra battery? I'm using an AR8000 and have AUX 3 available, I would like to hook them up to a switch.

Any guidance is appreciated.
Skip

mailman35

i flew close for a while till i got used to the orentation. now i can go out quite far just by LOS. i got leds but have yet to ever get around to putting them on.

skipper1

I normally stay pretty close, this part of the country is flat and I've found that even a 10mph breeze can make that quad drift off pretty quick. Mailman, can you recommend any exercises or a magic pill?

mailman35

fly fly fly, its what i did, i went from crashing every time out, to crashing every few times out, to crashing once every few weeks.
and ive flown in up to a 12mph wind w/o much of an issue. the object is to fly and not just hover. because hovering != flying.
also when flying when the quad is far away i try to know where it is. and where its going after i just made x amount of a turn, etc.

Razzil

Practice and Patience!!!
After crashing my quad multiple times and having to MacGyver my landing gear each time, I went out and purchased a Blade mQX BNF (Bind andFly).
I was able to use my same controller (DX8) that I got comfortable with, and you can literally not damage the thing.
I'm better at normal orientation now but I've yet to bank turns successfully and return flying backwards.

Again, it goes back to ... Practice and Patience ... but at least this way I have a toy to play inside with on rainy days.

PilotMaximus

My first question;

Second question;
This little quad doesn't have to get very far away before you lose orientation. I want to add some bright LED's. Red on the back, white or blue for the front. What are the best & brightest LED's and how do I wire them up? Do I need an extra battery? I'm using an AR8000 and have AUX 3 available, I would like to hook them up to a switch.

Any guidance is appreciated.
Skip

Just use a GWS or similar 5-10amp brushed motor esc. Plug that into an available aux channel and use adhesive strip LED lights. You can then turn the lights on and off or even change the brightness via your transmitter.

Fransvh

View attachment 5848

I have some led strips from hobbyking and made this. The leds are soldered straight on the power-board.
No channels or switches needed.

Attachments

• IMG_0441.jpg
    IMG_0441.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 355

skipper1

I can see that I'm impatient. I can't wait to be able to fly like everyone else. Practice it is.

Lights, it appears to be much easier than I thought it would be. I just have to decide on which ones and then do it. I'd really like to have super bright lights since my vision isn't that great.
Thanks for all the input.

Fransvh

like to have super bright lights since my vision isn't that great.

My vision is also not so good. I have to look good at the craft and it's easy to loose orientation because the shape of the craft doesn't change in flight.
I put on lights to see the craft more clear. Also have white/red/green leds in FAA-style for better orientation.
The lights will also improve your flying.