January 2014...which is the best brushless Gimbal for GoPro2?

Hi guys,

Ok, given the rate of progress of Gimbal design these days, I thought I'd ask where can I get a Gimbal that meets the following criteria:

- Lighter than a generation 1 RCtimer aluminium
- Is *not* an "L-shaped" gimbal. ie the mount tray is supported by a motor on one side, and a bearing on the other.
- Is compatible with a GoPro 2 but supports GP3 (I can't bring myself to spend money on a GP3 just yet)

I have a quadframe brushless gimbal (L shaped) on one rig, but I can't seem to get it optimised with a martinez board. It's certainly light...

Has anyone managed to get good results with an L-shaped gimbal? And by good, I mean "excellent".

Can't get optimised, what problems are you seeing?

Pete
A number.

1. When level, it has tiny, tiny oscillations on pitch.
2. Both pitch and roll don't respond fast/hard enough: I tried more power, more P, and just about everything. No joy - it still seemed to lag. I could get it almost right...then problem 3 would kick in
3. slow to return to level; like it was "sticking". Too much I I suspect.
4. Would not stabilise roll - even tiny movements would not be compensated. Put it in a hover, and the horizon will still move with the quad.
5. Even moderate forward flight would upset it

I checked all the mechanicals - it was tight. I eventually just moved onto an RCtimer, and it was running much better within 2 flights.

I'll upload the last video I shot with it soon.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
SilverB,

I've read of different challenges with the gopro brushless class of camera mount and decided to buy the H3-2D and build a NAZA quad around it. I'm expecting it to work without the hassles but will report back when it's all up and running. There will also be a product review if you're interested in a week or two.

I assume you are talking about the Alexmos BGC. Tiny oscillations are not a PID loop tuning issue. There is another couple of parameters and one has to due with controlling the BGC motor torque or current. Adjust that to eliminate the tiny ripples.

A number.

1. When level, it has tiny, tiny oscillations on pitch.
2. Both pitch and roll don't respond fast/hard enough: I tried more power, more P, and just about everything. No joy - it still seemed to lag. I could get it almost right...then problem 3 would kick in
3. slow to return to level; like it was "sticking". Too much I I suspect.
4. Would not stabilise roll - even tiny movements would not be compensated. Put it in a hover, and the horizon will still move with the quad.
5. Even moderate forward flight would upset it

I checked all the mechanicals - it was tight. I eventually just moved onto an RCtimer, and it was running much better within 2 flights.

I'll upload the last video I shot with it soon.

Av8Chuck

The Klinker Aerospace FFBLG is lighter than the RCTimer gimbals, it is a L shape, but supports both GoPros

Check it out-- klinkeraerospace.com

I guess that might be a nice gimbal, but its certainly a DIY gimbal and the demo video is not very impressive considering the kind of everyday video thats being posted in the CM300, Terot and the Stella threads.