IRIS+

cootertwo

First flight, right out of the box, no tweaking, adjusting, calibrating, nuttin. I like it! Still haven't linked to my tablet, for autonomous flight, but will soon. You can tell, this is a "camera" ship. Nice and easy, slow and steady, as compared to some of my 250's! Got over 10 minutes with gimble, GoPro, and a brand new 5100mah battery.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Is that the 3DR gimbal that comes with the Iris? the footage looks great for a first flight out of the box!

We just found out today that 3D Robotics is sending us an Iris+ for a product review so I'm very excited to get a closer look and to start speaking ArduCopter!

Bart

dazzab

I had a lot of issues with Arducopter on my SkyJib about a year ago so I ended up using a Wokoong on it instead. But I use it on several other machines and I pay close attention to the project. I honestly think the team behind it are the most clever people in the industry and that they are doing amazing things. I did my first mapping job this week with a Pixhawk running Arducopter on a Aeronavics XM-6 and it was simply amazing to watch it fly. The recent versions of Arducopter are just incredible as you are finding out with your Iris. There's much more to come as well. We live in interesting times.

cootertwo

Hi Bart, yes it is. I'm a nut, and proudly admit it. I first tried buying my Iris+ on the 3dr site, but couldn't get the page to act right. So, did a quick search on Amazon, (I'm a prime member), and found the Iris+ there, for the same price. Sooooo, I did the "one click" thing, and ordered it. Then realized it didn't come with the gimble. I have a couple of cheap gimbles, but didn't like the idea of having to figure out the wiring, soooo, I ordered the Tarot gimble, for 3dr. Then,....... (convinced I'm a nut yet?), I decided with all this $$$ tied up, I'd better go ahead and order the case, $280 flappers! I know, I should have ordered the whole package. But I gotta say, being an old retired, computer nurd, I REALLY like this machine/hardware/software, etc. etc. Got it linked to my Toshiba "Thrive" tablet today, and played around with the droid mapping program, but I'm not about to try anything fancy until I go to an open field, first, and try the RTL, and autonomous stuff. I have 4 of their 5100mah batteries, charged and ready to go. Just gotta get "MY" batteries charged!

Bartman

Cooter,

How is the Iris+ doing with the weight that it's carrying? Is there much room to go heavier? I'll be joining you soon flying the Iris+ so we'll have to compare notes and get as much as we can out of them.

Thanks,
Bart

cootertwo

Bart, I will probably add a video TX and hook it to the GoPro, just for framing shots. With the long legs attached, it ain't quite a FPV machine. Too easy to snag branches etc. You have to get used to the Pixhawk. More of a "robotic" feel than a Naze or Naza or KK2. I had a moment when I went to descend in that video. It just kinda sat there and said, oh, you want to go down? OK, let's see, and a very nice and easy descent. On this one, I will attach my phone # with a reward notice. With GoPro and gimble, around $1300 flying around up there. I get bored easy, so this machine has given me something new to play with, and has the ability to do things I barely imagined. Been windy here the past couple days, so I've been keeping it low and slow, for now. Been doing more reading, than flying. But still havin fun! I had hoped to be able to strap the case on the back of my motorcycle, but it is rather large, so I'll have to "jeep" it for now. Trying to get over a bug I picked up somewhere, so there won't be much flying for a day or two.

Bartman

ok, thanks for the update. the review Iris+ has shipped and I've started reading up on it so the I'll be jumping into the fray sometime next week.

cootertwo

Did a little grinding, and worked my battery wires to the outside, so I can connect/disconnect, with the door closed. Test flight, dogging trees in my backyard jungle. Had GPS lock, even with all the trees! Still learning, but having fun! P.S. edit.... the jello is not from the Iris, but the Tarrot gimble had a jitter going on, until I rotated it down and up, then it settled down. Guess I should do that before each flight, just to let it settle down.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb205/cootertwo/Pwires_zps474c1c09.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Old Man

I've got a couple of the 3DR Tarot gimbals and both will shiver if left at the extreme top or bottom positions.

You can set up a lot of different failsafes with Pixhawk, voltage, GPS, distance and altitude, link, and then dial in the descent rate for the landing phase of the RTL function. You can even turn up the settings to make it a real snappy flying machine if desired. Waypoint and mapping flights? Noooo problem. It does take some learning. BTW, the X-8 is another rock stable flying machine with Pixhawk but it starts life too heavy and gets worse as you pile stuff on it. It'll carry the extra weight but flight time is penalized.

jfro

Aerial Fun
To your knowledge, if you had an x8 at say 20 lbs that flew for 18 minutes on a Naza or SuperX and then put a Pixhawk on it, would you assume that you'd get 18 minutes on this also. I've wondered on my quad if I'm getting alittle less flight time with my Pixhawk. It could just be older batteries, but I'm pretty sure I'd down a bit.