ipad ground station 2.4 bt sucks

Kentjjl

this thing sucks it keeps losing its signal the air end antennas are pointed down the air end antenna is mounted high I have the original ground station and it work great no loss of signal do not buy until they fix the problem.

T J Gilbert

Devil's In The Details
this thing sucks it keeps losing its signal the air end antennas are pointed down the air end antenna is mounted high I have the original ground station and it work great no loss of signal do not buy until they fix the problem.
I'll try to help...
If both air end antennas are pointed down, that is not an optimal arrangement.
They should be set at 90 degrees from one another (one down and one horizontal if possible).
It's not clear whether you have the iOS GS or just the original.
If you are experiencing signal loss on the air to ground link, that may improve with the antenna orientation or you may need to look for any interference normally encountered with 2.4 gHz equipment.
That's not usually an issue, but you may have components on the airframe conflicting with each other.
If you have the original GS check your USB connection between the ground link and your computer.
If you have the Bluetooth GS, check to see if your signal loss is the Bluetooth connection failing.
That is usually cured with a hard reboot of your iPad or iOS device.
Hope this helps...:tennis:

Sorry about the thumbnail...
Can't seem to manage to get it any larger.
It's the page from the iOS GS Manual concerning antenna placement.

Attachments

• Antennas 2.jpg
    Antennas 2.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 264
Last edited by a moderator:

By any chance do you have a wifi hot spot active while flying? I have not heard of an issue with poor range or experienced this myself.

Kentjjl

TJ GILBER My antennas are close to 90 degrees as possible it is iso gs. it is the Bluetooth connection failing mid flight the green light on the btu turn red and this happens 400/500 meters out. this is my setup s800 evo/ a2 flight controller/zenmuse h3-2d gimbal/gopro hero 3 wifi off/canbus hub/ and a 5.8ghz video transmitter not dji

sixshooterstang

Bird's Eyes Aerial Media
please also note that there is only so much power an unlicensed consumer of radio products can use so A directional antenna on the ground with a tracker may be worth investing in if you want a good amount of range.

T J Gilbert

Devil's In The Details
TJ GILBER My antennas are close to 90 degrees as possible it is iso gs. it is the Bluetooth connection failing mid flight the green light on the btu turn red and this happens 400/500 meters out. this is my setup s800 evo/ a2 flight controller/zenmuse h3-2d gimbal/gopro hero 3 wifi off/canbus hub/ and a 5.8ghz video transmitter not dji
What's strange is the Bluetooth connection is just a matter of feet.
That's from the iPad to the BTU.
The distance out that you've flown really does not affect this connection.
Blade strike, if you're still following this, have you any thoughts?

T J Gilbert

Devil's In The Details
I am only 3 to 4 feet away from the btu.
I have no idea why the Bluetooth connection could be failing when the devices are that close.
That's regardless of how far away you fly.
Perhaps someone more knowledgeable in cellular technology will see this and offer a suggestion.:grey:

I'll try to help...
If both air end antennas are pointed down, that is not an optimal arrangement.
They should be set at 90 degrees from one another (one down and one horizontal if possible).

It's not clear whether you have the iOS GS or just the original.
If you are experiencing signal loss on the air to ground link, that may improve with the antenna orientation or you may need to look for any interference normally encountered with 2.4 gHz equipment.
That's not usually an issue, but you may have components on the airframe conflicting with each other.
If you have the original GS check your USB connection between the ground link and your computer.
If you have the Bluetooth GS, check to see if your signal loss is the Bluetooth connection failing.
That is usually cured with a hard reboot of your iPad or iOS device.
Hope this helps...:tennis:

Sorry about the thumbnail...
Can't seem to manage to get it any larger.
It's the page from the iOS GS Manual concerning antenna placement.

Optimal antenna orientation is to match the RX. The 90 degree V orientation works best for airplanes or very aggressive FPV multirotor flying, not a multirotor which is always keeping the attitude in a horizontal plane and flying from waypoint to waypoint.
If you place the antennas in a V configuration or as explained above you will have a 45% signal loss.

Some of my crafts radio antennas are in a V configuration for the type of flying I will be doing. When doing smooth flying for video I keep them all vertical. For sport flying or FPV flying I will use the vertical V and keep my distance close. I always keep my Ground station antennas vertical and it doesn't matter whether the crafts whip is pointed up or down as it is not a dipole antenna. I do not have any documentation from DJI but I assume the TX is a diversity design. The receiver is not as it uses only one antenna.

Always power on your crafts radio last in this type of situation so it can find the clearest channel. If you keep loosing the Downlink signal, have the equipment replaced.

By any chance do you have a wifi hot spot active while flying? I have not heard of an issue with poor range or experienced this myself.

DJI should not be using a 2.4GHz downlink when the primary TX/RX combination is also 2.4GHz. 2.4GHz wifi is everywhere. I no longer fly without first doing a spectrum scan.
You can download FREE WiFi analyzers for your smart phone.

WiFi Analyzer is a good one for android

Last edited by a moderator:

hbarchini

I have the same issue on the first flight... You have to put the BT less than 1 feet from your IPad (stick at the back) then it works without problem, and try to leave only the iPad BT on and all off (wifi and 3G if you have in your iPad)
Hope it helps

ooook

I have the same issue on the first flight too...You can not put the BT on the ground directly,otherwise the distance will cut.

Kentjjl

well all I had seven successful flight today using the ipad ground station there were no drop signal had to buy a new unit I don't know what the problem was with to other unit. thanks for all the help