Interferance!

poseidon2

Interference

I'm struggling a bit with my first FPV set up. The problem is moving lines travelling up my screen and I'm a bit confused what to do to fix it. I'm using PAL on the Gopro and monitor and have tried NTSC to no avail.
The kit is as follows:-
Flamewheel F550
DJI AVL58
Zenmuse Gimbal
Gopro 3+Black
Feelworld 8 inch screen
The only non DJI kit is the screen. Would a different screen be worth a try?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

haha49

the lines could be the sun through the props. If it changes as you move then it's noise on the power line

There is more then 1 type on ntsc and pal to pick on the moniter you have to find the one that works I had like 10 options... Picked the right one and it's fine I also had to set widescreen 16:9 or 4:3 check that setting as well.

poseidon2

haha49. The scrolling lines are there whilst on the ground, no motors running and doesn't change when the rig is moved. I've tried all the NTSC/PAL settings to no avail. My suspicion is it's coming from the Zenmuse because for a split second before the Gopro wakes up the screen looks OK.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Are both the monitor AND gopro on either PAL or NTSC? Certainly dont want to use both simultaneously. But I gather you got that.

Do you have a separate FPV cam to try out? Should get one anyways.

Channels are the same on both rx and tx?

poseidon2

Gopro and monitor on PAL. I don't have a separate FPV cam. I'm still on a steep learning curve with all this so what would I do with a separate camera to check things. I'm willing to try anything so what FPV camera would I need and what sort of price to pay.
The channels are the same on TX and RX and I've tried every channel available.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I use the Sony 666. But any of them are fine. Just grab one from ready made rc. about $100. will save you if your gopro fails and are better in direct light and low light. It was just a way to see if its the gopro that is causing the lines. You tried moving the antennas around? You have proper power to all units?

JoeBob

Elevation via Flatulation
I've heard of the Gimbal controller causing the rolling white lines.
I have the same rig, but route out of the GoPro via the USB port to the VTx.

poseidon2

I'm in the UK so a camera from 'Ready Made RC' would take a while. Yes, I've tried moving the antennas around. Also tried powering the FPV stuff with a separate battery.
I've seen a lot of talk of ferrite rings on the leads, would that help? But where to start! It's all a bit annoying as it's all DJI stuff which I expected to work 'plug-and-play'

poseidon2

JoeBob. Got a cable and fed the Tx direct from the Gopro USB and it's a whole lot better. Still not perfect but just about acceptable. Would some shielding on the USB cable help?

poseidon2

Been a while since I've reported back on this, truth is I'm getting a bit annoyed/disheartened by this FPV stuff. Still got the lines travelling up the screen and when I take a hard look at it, feeding straight from the GoPro has just made a very small difference. I've tinkered with cable location, separate batteries, filters on the cables etc etc to no avail.
One thing I tried was unplugging the cable from Zenmuse to gimbal controller and seeing what difference that made i.e. feeding video only through the USB to the TX so that the gimbal had no stabilisation running but was still giving a picture. Magic! No lines! No interference! BUT a camera hanging all limp and forlorn! So is it the gimbal motors or the gimbal controller and what to do next?
So much for getting all DJI stuff and hoping for plug and play. I'm at the stage now where I just want to get another gimbal and trying that.
AND.......What are the best starting settings for the GoPro coz that's giving me grief as well. 1080 gives me letter-box image so I'm on 1440.
HELLLLLLLLP!!!!!!

JoeBob

Here's the setup I use to bypass the white lines induced by the Zenmuse GCU:

View attachment 18375

This keeps all your Gimbal control functions intact while skipping the GCU's video interference.
My changes to the normal are noted in Blue.

Attachments

• GoPro USB.jpg
    GoPro USB.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 176

poseidon2

Thanks for that JoeBob, BUT, that's what I've got! Still got the lines tho!:dejection: Might the interference be coming through from somewhere on the F550 distribution board? I've got the GCU wired directly into the board. Like I say I'm about to chuck the Zenmuse in frustration. I'm a bit picky and want perfection! A pal I fly with says he would just put up with it. I can't!!!!

JoeBob

Dang! That works well for me.
You might test your VTx and GoPro by powering ONLY the VTx with the GoPro powered by it's battery. If you get clear video with the NAZA, PMU. and GCU powered off; it's not your VTx. If you powered up the NAZA and get the interference... Well. Shoot it.

Other simple questions: Is your VTx located well away from the noisy camera and gimbal motors? (I've got a 10 inch separation.) Is the GoPro WIFI turned off?

poseidon2

JoeBob. Got 10" separation and Wi-Fi is off. I'll try your other suggestions but I'm leaning towards your 'shoot it' idea. I'm on the verge of a new gimbal, I've already been checking-out the Tarot gimbal.