Improved gimbal performance on quadframe.com legs

Hi guys,

After drumming my head against the wall trying to source the problems with my RCtimer gimbal, I eventually traced one of them to a physical problem, not a PID one.

Basically, the entire gimbal itself was moving when exposed to lateral accelerations in X and Y axis - in particular on pitch. This presented itself as a slight "notch" in the video.

What was happening was the gimbal was torquing its mount; and because the normal quadframe planks in the battery bay are just 1mm fibre, they would flex badly, and the heavier the gimbal the worser it gets.

So I lashed up a new stronger Carbon Fibre plate, had it cut, and it worked! No more flex, and lateral gimbal movement significantly reduced (you still have movement in the rubber balls, but that's another thread). Still need to work on the vibe dampers and the PID's, but the "notch" is gone, and the gimbal responds better in flight. This single piece slots straight in place of the 2 quadframe provide, and takes about 5 minutes - no other alterations are necessary. Pics shortly.

So if anyone has quadframe.com legs, and they want to attach gimbals to the battery tray or improve the performance of one already there, drop me a line to euan at itdoneright.co.uk. I aim to put the order in before end of September, for an October delivery. It will be $14 + postage from Switzerland.

Unfortunately you will still need to replace the rubber balls as well on the RCtimer to properly fix it, but this plate really helps.

Last edited by a moderator: