I just got the new S800 vibe dampening kit to try!

olof

Osprey
View attachment 11304View attachment 11305View attachment 11306View attachment 11307

I just got a package from China. I had not ordered anything so I was a bit surprised.

Well it was straight from DJI. And it contains the new vibe dampening system. I had replied to their request for testing the kit. And I had emailed them as well as talked to Patrick at ArealMediaPros about this kit.

It looks really nice it is very light and should not take long to mount. I will photograph assembly as I do it.

I have not had any great problems with my S800 and Zenmuse, but I have got the white blinking lights when in gusty conditions and after hard maneuvering.

Photos and review soon.

Thanks DJI.

Attachments

• VibDampDJI1.jpg
    VibDampDJI1.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 272
  • VibDampDJI3.jpg
    VibDampDJI3.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 216
  • VibDampDJI4.jpg
    VibDampDJI4.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 224
  • VibDampDJI5.jpg
    VibDampDJI5.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 253
Last edited by a moderator:

olof

Osprey
Assembled it last night, took about an hour, quite simple, just a lot of screws to be removed and re installed. Takes a lot of thread lock. I replaced any screw that was really tight to get out.

You have to spend some time figuring out what mount goes where, the easy way to do it with the solid legs is to use the braces to mark the position of the connectors. A pc of tape on the carbon rod will help as well. I use Gyro tape to fasten the IMU in the new position.

I had to move my battery plate back a bit, but the CG is still good, I moved my Lipos back on the plate, I just repositioned the velcro dots on the Lipos a bit.

Test flights this afternoon if all goes well. I will input the new location of the IMU in the Assistant first.

Here are photos of the installation process.

View attachment 11321View attachment 11322View attachment 11323View attachment 11324View attachment 11325View attachment 11326View attachment 11327View attachment 11328

Attachments

• VibDampDJIassembly1.jpg
    VibDampDJIassembly1.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 268
  • VibDampDJIassembly2.jpg
    VibDampDJIassembly2.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 264
  • VibDampDJIassembly3.jpg
    VibDampDJIassembly3.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 236
  • VibDampDJIassembly4.jpg
    VibDampDJIassembly4.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 247
  • VibDampDJIassembly5.jpg
    VibDampDJIassembly5.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 296
  • VibDampDJIassembly6.jpg
    VibDampDJIassembly6.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 250
  • VibDampDJIassembly7.jpg
    VibDampDJIassembly7.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 278
  • VibDampDJIassembly8.jpg
    VibDampDJIassembly8.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 254

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Although I too am interested in these damped fasteners, in the interests of further isolating the camera mount from the airframe, there is one aspect that I am not happy about and which puts this modification into the 'Bandaid' category. With the standard method the booms are attached to the centre hub with the curved swivel clips and are then rigidly supported by the Bi-Pod fasteners. They are attached in two places. Very secure.

This secure fixing has now been reduced to only the centre hub swivel clips because the booms will now 'float' on the Bi-Pod fasteners, potentially allowing them to flap even more.

Unconvinced.

olof

Osprey
Had 2 great flights with the new anti vibe kit. They were perfect in every way. I am putting the video up on Vimeo as I write this (it is direct export from FCPX so it will take a while for Vimeo to convert).

Here are the settings I use in assistant:

View attachment 11333View attachment 11334View attachment 11335

I am still on 5.20 it works great for me as did 5.16 and 5.18.

The video will show some pretty hard maneuvering and fast flying both from the ground and from the 800. The wind went from calm to some 15mph gusts from thermals. This is the ugly season here in the valley. Also the bumpy windy one. But today was pretty calm compared to the last few days. I flew my Glasair around as well and it was getting bumped around pretty good. I also had my Blade 120 SR out for a flight and it got too windy for that little toy. The good news is I did not break anything. I may go back to the field tonight I have a brand built Eflite 25 Cub 1/7 scale to maiden. I will do some more with the S800 as well if time permits.

Are there any specific maneuvers that anyone would like me to try with the new kit. I don't do loops with the 800. I feel very confident in my 800/Zen and I am very happy with the video results.

I would say that quick descents and fast low passes were more smooth then before the new kit was installed. Absolutly no problem with GPS held very well, the return to home at about 7 minutes in the video worked perfectly, fast but smooth ascent to 25m then a fast turn to home and a fast return flight. I took over when it was hovering overhead. I tried to get the POI working but I was running low on batteries so I will try that the next flight.

The upload just started I will post it as soon as it is up.

Attachments

• CaptureWKM grab 3.jpg
    CaptureWKM grab 3.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 273
  • WKM setup grab 1.jpg
    WKM setup grab 1.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 132
  • WKM setup grab 2.jpg
    WKM setup grab 2.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 186

olof

Osprey
The video is up on Vimeo, still being converted, but should be viewable soon.

My gross takeoff weight is 15 lbs with my 2 6000 Lipos in parallel.

I also run IOSD a factory repaired unit (I think this makes it V2 even though the case does not say so). And the DJI 5.8 video downlink. Othervise it is all stock S800 Zenmuse and WKM w/GPS.

This video is the second flight with the kit. It was shot with an EX3 on the ground synced in editing for AB cuts with the Zen footage. The video shows the entire flight. I flew most of it in Atti as I usually do, but some in GPS.

I do notice that there is less vibration transmitted to the Zen, though that was not a real problem before either as long as I fly smoothly. I did some very fast descents I did not try to fly smooth at all and did some quick turns I would never do on a shoot.

This flight the Zen was just in reset mode the whole time, I did just point it down at one point with the switch, these are not supposed to be smooth moves.

If I get out tonight we will try smooth moves over the river and around the trestle bridge.

The Screen grabs from Windows got shrunken by multirotorforums somehow I will try to reupload.

View attachment 11339View attachment 11340View attachment 11341

Attachments

• CaptureWKM grab 3.jpg
    CaptureWKM grab 3.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 165
  • WKM setup grab 1.jpg
    WKM setup grab 1.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 165
  • WKM setup grab 2.jpg
    WKM setup grab 2.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 155
  • CaptureWKM grab 3 copy.jpg
    CaptureWKM grab 3 copy.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 263
  • WKM setup grab 1 copy.jpg
    WKM setup grab 1 copy.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 135
  • WKM setup grab 2 copy.jpg
    WKM setup grab 2 copy.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 117

olof

Osprey
Here is the first flight with the Kit. Remember I am trying to be very rough with the S800 for testing purposes.

I was really trying to torture the 800 whipping it around in ways I would never do on a shoot. But it flew like on rails no sags on fast runs or fast yaws. The Horizon seems to level out faster too after a quick move.

It can be seen in 1080 on Vimeo: